Who would you pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

1:05 [Comment From JackJack: ]
where will R Conca go
Wednesday November 10, 2010 1:05 Jack
1:06 Paul Daffey: Hi Jack,

Fremantle and Sydney are very interested, but I suspect Freo rate Jamie Cripps just ahead of Conca. Freo might take Cripps at 20 and Sydney might take Conca at 21.

from Paul Daffey's live chat on the AFL site

I really like Mitch Hallahan as well...looks the goods and maybe exactly what we need. Leadership material as well and has a never say die attitude. A type of player that fits the Harvey mould. Maybe if Hawks take Conca then Mitch Hallahan to us at pick 20.

Yeah that Hallaghan sounds absolutely awesome from an attitude POV in that article Lachy linked.

God I hope not. I just threw up in my mouth a little even thinking about it.

Ditto to that.

Apart from my general bias of him being from East Freo , I reckon Jamie Cripps has shot up in the rankings due to his 6 games in the WAFL , when he averaged 21 possessions per games playing down back & through the middle.

Has got a great kick on him & tested very well in endurance , agility & speed at the combine.

So for me its Cripps , Hallaghan & Conca if all available .

Ditto to that.

Apart from my general bias of him being from East Freo , I reckon Jamie Cripps has shot up in the rankings due to his 6 games in the WAFL , when he averaged 21 possessions per games playing down back & through the middle.

Has got a great kick on him & tested very well in endurance , agility & speed at the combine.

So for me its Cripps , Hallaghan & Conca if all available .

Do you have his times?

Do you have his times?

Have tried to get the info from outside the top ten but to no avail so can only glean what info I can from the Various " Phantom Drafts ".

Though he was 4th in the 3klm time trial & equal 8th in the clean hands .

Was just outside the Top 10 in agility & had a nice beep test.

I think Reece Conca is better suited to us if he is available at pick 20. We have got enough smaller, developing outside players and at 185 cm and 79 Kg's he will get a game a lot sooner. He also had a much better under 18 Carnival.

Have tried to get the info from outside the top ten but to no avail so can only glean what info I can from the Various " Phantom Drafts ".

Though he was 4th in the 3klm time trial & equal 8th in the clean hands .

Was just outside the Top 10 in agility & had a nice beep test.

Thanks, I was wondering what his sprint time was because in games he looks pretty pacey but sometimes that is more about a players willingness to run then their actual ability.

I think Reece Conca is better suited to us if he is available at pick 20. We have got enough smaller, developing outside players and at 185 cm and 79 Kg's he will get a game a lot sooner. He also had a much better under 18 Carnival.

Cripps is only 2cm shorter , according to the AFL website , & I reckon averaging 20 possessions a game in the WAFL is better than the under 18's carnival.
He was also running through the midfield for East Freo & was designated kicker at the carnival so has a great kick on him.

I really like Mitch Hallahan as well...looks the goods and maybe exactly what we need. Leadership material as well and has a never say die attitude. A type of player that fits the Harvey mould. Maybe if Hawks take Conca then Mitch Hallahan to us at pick 20.

:thumbsu: Like the look of this guy. We have plenty of skills in the midfield, could do with a hardnut team player. Doesn't sound like the type to get homesick either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can Cripps play as an inside midfielder ?

Im not sure he has to, i think Palmer and De Boer can play inside midfield.

While conca will be a solid player, i think he is more a 2nd round pick player as i have serious questions about his skills. (Apparently 80% efficiency while playing for WA so i could be very wrong)

Cripps looks to be quick, have a good fitness and elite skills. Why wouldnt we pick him up if he is available.

I am not saying Conca isnt a good a player, i just feel a good inside midfielder will be available in the second round while this draft has a lack of good outside midfielders.

2010 Player Head to Head Comparison (Average Per Game)
Reece Conca Name Jamie Cripps
Perth Team East Fremantle
5 2010 Games 6
18.4 Disposals 20.5
10.8 Kicks 12.2
5.8 Marks 5.2
7.6 Handballs 8.3
2.0 Tackles 2.0
0 Goals 1.5
0.2 Behinds 1.7
1.0 Frees For 0.7
0.6 Frees Against 1.2
0 Hitouts 0
0.8 Inside 50s 5.5

Im not sure he has to, i think Palmer and De Boer can play inside midfield.

De Boer seems ear marked as a defensive forward or a tagger and Palmer is still under a cloud on his ability to return form injury and get his head right, not to mention improving his disposal which was worse last year than in 2009. i thnk DeBoer could get the gig in the middle eventually but even so, two inside midsis not sufficient in a squad of 40 players, espeially when neither of them has made that role theirs yet.

Having said that Mundy played an inside role most of last year and Mora probably will play both inside & outside as his body matures and he gets more in tune with the game at this level. I would still like to see us have another pure inside player. A tough-nut burrower with great hands.

And yeh, Hallaghan seems like a gem if we could get him at 20.

After Anthony has agreed to terms, it's midfielders early, maybe a running backman, then some talls late/rookie

Why do you think running backmen is a priority Lach? We have Duffield, Broughton and Mzungu now has been picked up. Suban also more defender than mid at this stage and Hill frequently plays behind the circle to provide support running though the lines. I'd be going innside mid, mids in general and KPP.

Why do you think running backmen is a priority Lach? We have Duffield, Broughton and Mzungu now has been picked up. Suban also more defender than mid at this stage and Hill frequently plays behind the circle to provide support running though the lines. I'd be going innside mid, mids in general and KPP.

Roberton to that list as well I reckon.

Recently we have had a huge emphasis on players who are pretty mature and ready to go, and we have done that again in the last few weeks. I wouldn't mind some risk taking in this draft (as we saw with Hill), looking at some players with high upside, but maybe not expecting gametime for a few seasons. Especially with later and rookie picks. Zephi.

I like flexibility.
classy backs are important
We have depth, with Hayden going forward and winding down
Broughton may play midfield.

One injury and we're short...I see Suban more as a mid...

are you talking about running defenders? because the list of faulks, Roberton (very classy) mcpharlin, grover, silvagni, MJ, anthony (if needed) is looking good

duffield, broughton, ibbotson, suban, hayden, mzungu doesnt look to shabby either

are you talking about running defenders? because the list of faulks, Roberton (very classy) mcpharlin, grover, silvagni, MJ, anthony (if needed) is looking good

duffield, broughton, ibbotson, suban, hayden, mzungu doesnt look to shabby either

True...not a huge fan of Ibbotson myself...good rebound but not tight enough.

Pretty happy all round to be honest

A few East fremantle colts boys who missed out on 18s look great as later picks. they had stelar seasons winning the colts GF and getting in the colts team of the year. They all tested very well at the State combine. i think Chalwell Kp Menagola Kp (Talls) and Schofield are the pick of the bunch from that talented colts side and feel they offer a lot to freo.

Have seen a lot of the colts this year. These boys were great but Chalwell really impressed me! Really hope we take him as a KPP. Saw this write up on him
Tyler Chalwell East Fremantle 193cm 89kg's

Have watched Tyler all year in the colts, was desperately unlucky not to make the WA under 18 side like a lot of his east freo team mates from the country.

Was best on ground in the colts grand final dominating in the back half.

Every year there is country kids that miss out on the side that should have been in the side, and Brad Wirra has said as much about Tyler this year.

He has played as a tall utility for east freo from full foward to ruck the wing, full back and centre half back.

In my opinion the backline particularly CHB is his best position.

He is very attacking and has a strong frame that he is not afraid to use.
His reading of the play and marking is a feature of his game.
His kicking is excellent and has great awareness, rarely if ever gets caught.
He had very good state screening results very like Harry Taylor, a previous left field selection by Wells.

Outstanding beep of 14.5 and very good 20 metre time as well.

I have had a long look at other available backman, and to me is the best of rest. Maybe a reach at this selection but have a strong feeling he will justify his selection by becoming a very good AFL footballer. (Royal Eagle 4th Nov)
Saw this too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkIkb1NYNnw he looks good>

Remove this Banner Ad

Who would you pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back