Who would you pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

are you talking about running defenders? because the list of faulks, Roberton (very classy) mcpharlin, grover, silvagni, MJ, anthony (if needed) is looking good

duffield, broughton, ibbotson, suban, hayden, mzungu doesnt look to shabby either

I wouldn't include McPharlin and Silvagni as their roles are to keep the KPPs quiet. While running off them may be a strategy at times, they are not really running defenders. I would say Faulks will also fall into that category. Ibbo and Robbo are definitely running defenders and Silvagni does that play a bit - being the third tall option, his role is a bit of both lcok down and runner. Hayden, was but is not quite there now and I don't think we will be looking at him in our future anyway.

So running defenders, Duffield, Broughton, Ibbo, Suban, Mzungu, Roberton, Silvagni and back up from the midfield including Hill and Mora is still looking pretty good.

True...not a huge fan of Ibbotson myself...good rebound but not tight enough.

Pretty happy all round to be honest

Me too. I think we have got a pretty decent list coming together and the real task now is to manage it as it ages and develop and keep the depth so there is continual pressure on the best 22 as well as felxibility to play against the different game plans e.g. Geelong and St Kilda.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?
Sam Gilbert - a very attacking backman with the ability to play on both talls and smalls.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
A long left foot kick, good contested mark, I have the ability to read the game well and leadership.

Could do worse at our late picks Scham

Another highly rated player who could be in the running for Pick 20 is Seb Tape.

ASK ANY recruiter to describe South Australian state under-18 skipper Seb Tape and the words cool, calm and collected will be on the tips of their tongues.

Tape was a rock in defence for SA at the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships in June and showed composure beyond his years to be named best on ground on debut for Glenelg in the club's SANFL semi-final loss to Woodville-West Torrens.

Tape also impressed in the physical testing at the draft combine in Canberra finishing top 10 in the vertical leap and repeat sprint.

The 191cm defender's athleticism has seen him play on both tall and small opponents this year, including likely top-10 draft pick Jared Polec, former Adelaide and Western Bulldogs goalkicker Scott Welsh and highly-rated WA forward Jack Darling.

"I pride myself on having that versatility," Tape said.

"I enjoy the challenge of playing different roles, whether that’s down back or further up the ground."

Phillips also rates Tape's competitiveness, a trait that above all else saw Tape handed the captaincy ahead of this year's national championships.

"Seb's just a rock-solid kid. He doesn't say much to the playing group, but I knew that his actions would speak louder than the words anyway and that he'd lead from the front," Phillips said.

"He always puts his head over the ball and once you see your captain doing that I think it becomes infectious through your team."

We currently have no 'need' for our first round pick, so another KPD could be handy. Faulks, Silvagni are more suited to talls, Tape could take a tall or a small, freeing up other players to go into the midfield. Sounds almost Tarrant-like in the way he plays.

Does Conka being invited to the draft on the gold coast mean he's a top ten pick and also, does anyone think we may get a late pick from the Oakleigh Chargers due to inside info from Steve Grace?

Well it seems a little more likely that we will pick a midfielder, with JA coming in I don't think we will draft a KPF, I would say we have told JA that FF is pretty much his.

I think we might go for Smith, we have made a thing of drafting mature age players lately, I think they will want someone ready to go, and we will be going for the flag within the next 3 years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love to see Darling in Purple, but its hard to see him on the radar after the JA coup.

Unless we go for a raw talent who will take a few years to develop

Darling (and Cook) are nothing like Anthony. Both are better suited to playing higher up the ground, as opposed to Anthony who needs to stay at home and lead from the square.

Anthony leading from the goal square, Darling crashing the packs and Houghton roaming free would be ideal.

Darling, Cook, Tape. One of them please.

Also, Isaac Smith will likely be gone by our pick. And just because he is older doesn't mean he will play straight up, he is still quite raw.

Raw but amazing scope for improvement. If he was a 17 year old and he scored the results that he did at draft came he would be in the Top 5 draft pick this year! Would love to get him but he will be snapped up by the Cats at LEAST!

Darling (and Cook) are nothing like Anthony. Both are better suited to playing higher up the ground, as opposed to Anthony who needs to stay at home and lead from the square.

Anthony leading from the goal square, Darling crashing the packs and Houghton roaming free would be ideal.

Like it Chris, Like it ALOT!!!:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Tape could be our Nat Fyfe pick 20 type of player, huge ceiling and a natural footballer.
Our midfield rotations with potentially 4 new backmen, releasing Broughton Suban Roberton Dufffield into the centre.
I think Tape has also played forward as a youngster, add John Anthony who can be a swingman and our flexability all over the park is collingwood like.

I found this comment about Darling on a website...

His lack of height (190cm) is a little worrying for a key forward – he was consistently beaten by Tape (189cm) and Cook (194cm) in aerial contests.

… also looks to have come in a bit top heavy this season which hasn’t helped his athleticism.

Is still highly likely to go first round, but may be a slider.

Web page here

http://www.contestedfooty.com/2010/07/jack-darling-2010-afl-draft-prospect/

It is not a media outlet or AFL sanctioned website (or something reputable like BF) but the point is Darling is not really the size to play a KPF role at AFL level. He has spoken about his desire to play more in the middle and I wonder how he would go there. Doesn't really have any runs on the board in that area. I would much prefer we went for mids - inside mids preferably.

I found this comment about Darling on a website...

Web page here

http://www.contestedfooty.com/2010/07/jack-darling-2010-afl-draft-prospect/

It is not a media outlet or AFL sanctioned website (or something reputable like BF) but the point is Darling is not really the size to play a KPF role at AFL level. He has spoken about his desire to play more in the middle and I wonder how he would go there. Doesn't really have any runs on the board in that area. I would much prefer we went for mids - inside mids preferably.
i hope we go for best available being an inside mid ball magnet, aswell.

I know part of drafting is looking long term, but lets not kid ourselves, our realistic window is mainly the next few years while Pav/Sandi/McPharlin are still outputting at A-grade level.

We have Sibo, Shepperd, Houghton, Anthony, Faulks, Silvagni for the time being to develop, along with McPharlin, Pav, Bradley, Johnson and Sandi, Griffin, Clarke. I'd also go hard for Mitch Clark next year. Whether we need talls or not down the track, 17-18 yr KPP from pick 20 onwards are unlikely to actually be of much use in our Sandi+Pav premiership window.

In this draft I'd be looking at midfielder types (preferably inside) and maybe a speedy small defender before talls. With our first pick being at 20, once you are that deep I think the talls become pretty much a lottery, so I'd just wait to pick talls with our last pick in the ND and/or rookie draft.

I know part of drafting is looking long term, but lets not kid ourselves, our realistic window is mainly the next few years while Pav/Sandi/McPharlin are still outputting at A-grade level.

Whether we need talls or not down the track, 17-18 yr KPP from pick 20 onwards are unlikely to actually be of much use in our Sandi+Pav premiership window.

In this draft I'd be looking at midfielder types (preferably inside) and maybe a speedy small defender before talls. With our first pick being at 20, once you are that deep I think the talls become pretty much a lottery, so I'd just wait to pick talls with our last pick in the ND and/or rookie draft.

I agree. Drafting a kid who is going to take 3 years to develop might be good for the long term, but with our first pick we're going to want someone who can have an impact straight up.

And for me that guy is Darling. He already has the body and motor to play AFL football, sure both can be improved but that will come with actual game time. He isn't your typical 18 year old skinny but promising KPP.

You're more likely to find midfielders who can have an early impact with later picks, than KPPs. Aaron Mullett and Jarryd Lyons will likely be around at our last pick, you could even take Kieran Butcher or Myles Sewell in the rookie draft if you really wanted a ready made inside midfielder.

I don't really like the KPPs in this draft (particularly the forwards) so if there is a quality one there at our first pick, I wouldn't hesitate in calling out his name. Seems the better option than just conceding and waiting until the end of the draft to take a tall.

I agree. Drafting a kid who is going to take 3 years to develop might be good for the long term, but with our first pick we're going to want someone who can have an impact straight up.

And for me that guy is Darling. He already has the body and motor to play AFL football, sure both can be improved but that will come with actual game time. He isn't your typical 18 year old skinny but promising KPP.

You're more likely to find midfielders who can have an early impact with later picks, than KPPs. Aaron Mullett and Jarryd Lyons will likely be around at our last pick, you could even take Kieran Butcher or Myles Sewell in the rookie draft if you really wanted a ready made inside midfielder.

I don't really like the KPPs in this draft (particularly the forwards) so if there is a quality one there at our first pick, I wouldn't hesitate in calling out his name. Seems the better option than just conceding and waiting until the end of the draft to take a tall.

Chris25...how do you rate Litherland ?

I have not seen enough of him & of course he is more of a player that is going to come on in a year or two & plays down back.
Has played country footy as well .
Though then again who would have thought that Roberton would suit up so soon ?

My bets are for Cripps then Litherland at our 2nd pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who would you pick?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back