Who You Love To Hate

Remove this Banner Ad

Eagles/swans/Melbourne/lions all hate Collingwood the most, yet don't even rank on our radar
Has to be a little embarrassing
I was surprised Freo wasn't first, but I guess it makes sense, big brother doesnt usually have any bitterness to little brother, like the Swans or Lions don't hate GWS or GC most either.

Am surprised Pies still made no 1, but I guess they still are the general most hated.

I was neutral/negative towards them in the 90s - probably hated Carlton and Essendon more. After Eddy it was a general dislike, but after the umpire favouritism yeah, would say its a genuine hatred atm. But that may change.

Richmond’s are pretty accurate.

So are Geelongs, but why on earth would they hate Port for? Any insight Cats supporters?

Collingwood polled 16/17 teams, only one they didn't was Western Bulldogs.

Carlton 15/17.

Geelong and Essendon 12/17.
I think, for the most part, Dogs / Collingwood fans get along pretty well.

Collingwood has done a lot for the Dogs over the years, specially during 89, the legends match at Skinners reserve was full of really supportive Collingwood fans and staff/admin. Eddie over the years has also spoken often about his soft spot for the Dogs, and you guys have always been pretty fair with player trading between us.

Dogs fans most certainly hate other teams who have done their best to pillage us, no names mentioned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never understood any beef between the Hawks and Collingwood.... 2011 prelim?

The North and Essendon one way rivalry is funny though

Mostly feels accurate (although personally I’ve never hated Collingwood, Port & Essendon are our bogey sides that I most despise).

GC not even rating a mention by Brissy (said as a Qclash fan)

Goodfellas GIF

Last edited:
Crows one is pretty boring. Showdown rival, Pies and that one time they lost in a granny. Only Port reciprohate. 34 years into a mostly competitive stint.

Last edited:
Never understood any beef between the Hawks and Collingwood.... 2011 prelim?

The North and Essendon one way rivalry is funny though
I don't see why either, without checking I'm pretty sure the hawks haven't had too much to fear from Collingwood in the last decade or so

Crows one is pretty boring. Showdown rival, Pies and that one time they lost in a granny. Only Port reciprohate. 34 years into a mostly competitive stint.
reciprohate. Was that intentional? Im going to use it.

4/5 of Port's hated reciprohate. Only Carlton don't. Probably put that down to Carlton being the most supported team in SA outside us/Crows and their supporters are the worst in the league.

Typical North hate Essendon so much but are irrelevant to us.
You can tell by the way there's always an Essendon supporter scrambling to say this every time the topic comes up.

There's always heavy recency bias with stuff like this, like Port Adelaide wouldn't have ranked for most North supporters until the JHF situation. It's not surprising we don't appear on anyone's lists at the moment because we've barely beaten anyone for 5 years. That'll change if/when we become a good side.

Can tell you how the polling was conducted (I made the poll for @thebackpocketau)!

Random poll of afl fans on Twitter and Facebook (and whoever it got shared to after that).

Fans asked who they support, followed by their three least favourite teams in any order. Data was compiled from that list. Gold Coast and GWS obviously smaller sample size, Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon much larger.

You can see all links between sides at https://www.thebackpocketau.com/post/afl-rivalries-who-your-team-loves-to-hate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back