Who's the worst coach of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

FreoFaithful

Rookie
Feb 8, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pretty self explanatory thread. And I'm not talking solely on win-loss record, in terms of overall performance. Who do you think is the worst in VFL/AFL history?

This obviously has the potential for trolling but try and keep it relevant and backed up with reason.

Tim Watson would be up there, and a perfect demonstration that being a great player doesn't mean you can coach.

Matthew Knights.

He's already put his hand up to coach again - and everyone, including the supporters of coach-less teams that have once claimed he was a "scapegoat" - have said HELL NO to his services.

Why?

Common sense prevails in the end.

He took Essendon to finals, hardly the worst ever.

Peter Rohde was pretty bloody bad.... the worst ever though? Not sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gerald Brosnan - University.

Gerald_Brosnan.jpg

54 matches - 52 losses - 2 wins (3.7%)

3 wooden spoons in 3 seasons

I really want to say Grant Thomas but his record was pretty good. So I'll say Ken Judge. I'm not familiar with the likes of Rhode and co.

danny frawley
garry buckanara

Danny Frawley got Richmond to a Prelim. Richmond. Guy is a genius.

The worst in my memory would have to be Peter Rhode though. I am sure there are worse around though.

Knights was not a good coach but very good at list management / bring in young players, in time will have a reasonable legacy, so I would exclude him.

gotta be peter rohde (in recent times).... i just remember pure ectasy on these forums the day he got the boot from doggies fans.

i wasn't all that familiar with the workings of the dogs back then but i do remember a lot of facepalming going on back in those days.

Granted circumstances were probably well and truly out of his control, but, Alan McConnell whilst he did the best he could, just couldn't get Fitzroy going - twice.

Bit harsh. Poor guy had no players to work with!

Remove this Banner Ad

Who's the worst coach of all time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back