joffa_2

Senior List
Sep 16, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
south dragons, everton
This thread is for player who you believe have been hyped up for the dream team season from big footy end ext...

My player is Daniel Rich

Alot of the people are saying Daniel rich is a must have player, i disagree. He has done nothing to prove himself (except of having a big body) and people are calling him the next Rhys Palmer or Joel Selwood.

These are his Dream Team ave from various comps

WAFL

2007 - 5 games ave 55.2 points
2008 - 16 games ave 54.1 points

Under 18 championship

Game 1 - 63 points
Game 2 - 77 points
Game 3 - 50 points
Game 4 - 69 points
game 5 - 81 points

Thats an ave of 68 in 5 games, comparing that to Plamer who i think from memory ave around 120 in the under 18 championship.

Have you been sucked into all the hype?

Feel free to post anyone who you think has been hyped up over there true potential?

i got the stats off fanfooty for anyone who wanted to know

My thoughts are that because he is only 120k and he got them scores, and thats scoring a bargain.
Also, he should play all 22 games for the Lions if fit.

here here.. i hear you.. I think the hype has driven too many unrealistic expectations for rich. Everyones madly trying to find this years Rhys Palmer.. The thing is what rhys did last year was freakish.. and I wouldn't expect there to be someone like Rhys in every Draft year.. For player to do what he did in his rookie year.. Just wont happen, every year..

The fact that everyone is starting Rich on the midfield is crazy. Which is about 80% of sides that i've seen so far. I think everyones going to be very disappointed when he only averages 50-60. which as a starter for midfield is way below par... he will be a good emergency.. But unless there is major injury in the midfield.. i cant see him getting decent enough minutes to warrant being a starter in DT..

No disrespect to Rich.. Im sure he will be a great player.. Ive seen him play in WA.. great onballer.. but i think this year.. there is too much depth already in Brisbanes midfield already and youth on the rise(daziell ..etc).. Rich is at a great price for a player that you know will get played.. So your still going to have him.. just dont start him until hes shows that he can mix it with the best...

Yarran seems to have done Sweet FA so far, though we havn't seen him in the NAB cup. I think players like Grant, Brown, Gumby will probably score on a par with him and get a similar # of games this year for ~50K less........

There was already a similar thread to this. Reports were that he got tagged in all those TAC Cup games, so that might help explain it. Also I would be happy to have Rich on the field averaging 50-60+ for a while as you're going to have to have a couple of players like that to being with anyway.

Yeah it's all well and good to say that Rich is all hype, but your missing the point as to why most people are picking him.

If we were all saying he was a genuine keeper then fair enough, but like others have said he is there to do a job which is play hopefully 22 games and hopefully ave around 50+.

HE IS A CASH COW.....Dont mistake him for a possible keeper because he is not.

Now i believe someone like Van Berlo is over hyped some what like Jones and Dyson were last year.

Yes i know what VB averaged in his last few games and all that but have alook at the names you guys are throwing around as potential Adelaide Mid guns.

Thompson, VB, Reilly, Edwards, Knights, Mackay, Otten, Vince or Dangerfield.

This midfield rarely fires together so i can see alot of fluctuating scores between them.

Not sold on VB and over hyped IMO. ADL midfield too unstable.

Bryce Squibbs although on would hope thah he isnt anywhere near as popular as Rich.

Good player but he wont be elite at DT until 2010/2011.

Also I would be happy to have Rich on the field averaging 50-60+ for a while as you're going to have to have a couple of players like that to being with anyway.

Nah not reallly. not on you midfield. you midfield players are your money makers.. maybe passable on your backline or forward line.. My side i cant see anyone getting consistently around 50 pts except 1-2 my forwards, and maybe 1-2 of my backs..

My thoughts are that because he is only 120k and he got them scores, and thats scoring a bargain.
Also, he should play all 22 games for the Lions if fit.
hey porpsy can you tell me what the latest with your man jason porplyzia is,is he ready to go.im looking at getting him at a good price 347,000 odd. hows his pre season been?likely round 1 starter? havnt heard anything about him in dt circles

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he could play first 8 rounds and pull 50ppg.
Id be happy, Id expect a 40ish + average and perhaps scattered games

Yeah thats fine on you bench.. thats all you want from your rookie bench reserves, couldnt ask for more as a cash cow rookie.. I was talking more about having rich as midfield starter though and averaging 50s..

Yeah thats fine on you bench.. thats all you want from your rookie bench reserves, couldnt ask for more as a cash cow rookie.. I was talking more about having rich as midfield starter though and averaging 50s..

If having Rich as your sixth mid scoring 50 ppg means an extra premium/captain option in your squad then it may not be such a bad thing.

Remember - Money not spent in one area will be spent to bolster other areas. If this is done correctly your overall score could benefit even with Rich in your starting 22.

If having Rich as your sixth mid scoring 50 ppg means an extra premium/captain option in your squad then it may not be such a bad thing.

Remember - Money not spent in one area will be spent to bolster other areas. If this is done correctly your overall score could benefit even with Rich in your starting 22.

Yes agreed. if your specific plan involved in starting rich for this reason.. and the money saved goes towards a player upgrade elsewhere that your chasing that you really want in your lineup..

But putting rich as a starter in your mids purely on hype is nuts. Theres plently of Low priced options that you can put in your midfield this year that will produce better than rich...Skipworth for example... will get more TOG easily than Rich.. and will probably score better.. At least into the early parts of season with welsh out..

Im just saying starting any rookie must be well researched.. IMO.. look at the winners starting side last year.. No rookies started....That was his golden rule..

I wouldn't be so confident Porpz.
I guess that was a bit stupid of me to say, but he is AFL ready and was suspected to be a top 3 pick but he slipped. I honestly think he will play alot of the H&A games.
Albert Proud???

Same body size yet proud couldnt get a game.

Rich most certainly wont play every game.
Maybe not, but Proud defiently didnt have as big as a pre-season and as much of exciting hype surrounding him.
hey porpsy can you tell me what the latest with your man jason porplyzia is,is he ready to go.im looking at getting him at a good price 347,000 odd. hows his pre season been?likely round 1 starter? havnt heard anything about him in dt circles
Dont think this is the right thread to ask. If you want better details, go onto the Adelaide board and ask on the DT board but Porps is still not participating in all the main training squads, he is with the injured squad half the time. He was in my DT until I got someone else (dont wanna say :p) and he will be ready for round 1. To be honest, I would only jump on him if you knew he is fully fit for round 1.

I'm not getting rich. Purely because i think there is another cheaper rookie who will do just the same. Could work. could not aswell though

I'm not getting rich. Purely because i think there is another cheaper rookie who will do just the same. Could work. could not aswell though
If your not starting Rich, starting an 86k rookie is cleary a good choice. If theres an 86k rookie that looks like to play alot of the games this year, could be a good option.

I would ve very happy if Rich avgs a flat 50 for the first 6-8 games as my starting 6th midfielder. Also their is no golden rule to win each year as it would be easy. A new and different strategy yet to be unveiled could win the comp this year.

I dont see any 86k midfielders that will play as many games as Rich. I like Ziebell and Dangerfield though. I may take them instead of Rich. Rich did very well as youngster playing senior footy. His 07 final series was as good as it gets.

The thing with DT 09 is that you need to select the top end quality because in each postion their is more quality players thus a better chance people will have better teams come end of the season. With the increased quality of backs and forwards you must start some real top end players in those positions. But the rookies look weaker than ever at the same time of year. Their isnt any players that you can say i will rely on them to play 12-15 games if need be as my 7th back, 6th mid, 7th forward. So you need to find that balance between playing as less rookies as possible and having as many top end backs, mids and forwards.

I however think people are overrating the keeper value. Many are saying you need your 7th back to score 80 or more this year. I disagree with that hugely and think that 75+ is fine again. Time will tell though. It also matter how your whole postion avgs as keepers. By this i mean your top 6 backs could all avg 100 and your 7th could only need to avg 65. Which would be better than all 7 avg 80.

Anyway im just trying to fit as many keepers in my side with as little rookies ATM.

The thing with DT 09 is that you need to select the top end quality because in each postion their is more quality players thus a better chance people will have better teams come end of the season..

Surely you can't say that with much confidence?

There's a nice mix available at the top end, but which strategy will prove successful is an uknown this time of year.

The reason Rich is receiving the hype is that at this early stage he looks like the only rookie midfielder capable of nailing a spot in a 22.

Stephen Hill now looks to be getting a bit of hype based on last game and I can assure you as rookies play more NAB games others will get attention, but at this stage other than Hill & Rich all the other midfield rookies seem a long way off securing a spot. I was impressed with Tom Swift, but not sure he will break into the Eagles 22 early this year. Ziebell sounds promising & Beams or Sidebottom have good chances.

Getting back to Rich - Is he really a good thing to play most games this year particularly early on?

In his favour is the new coach, Voss will have no hesitation playing him if he thinks it will assist him develop quickly (Matthews would have made him earn is spot in the QAFL). On the downside he has some talent to compete with. Who will he displace in that midfield? Answer is no one unless there are injuries. I suspect that Voss will play him off the bench, use in midfield rotations & up forward. He will have limited TOG as a result & thus his scores will be low. Palmer had the luxury of stepping into a terrible midfield.

Rich will be a very good player from what I have seen from him, but he will not burst onto the scene Joel Selwood style, he will take time. But at least he will provide some scoring that is better than a zero.

IMO.. look at the winners starting side last year.. No rookies started....That was his golden rule..

As a note the year before that the person that won had a heap of rookies. The year before that the person that won had a ton of melbourne players. Many people say never stack your team with just one side. They did and it worked a treat. This year Richmond say are on the improve. Maybe a team with a ton of richmond peeps will win this year (not my plan). However point is there is a lot of luck involved no matter which way you go. Plus knowing your footy players. More rookies is more potential to expand id you choose that path. Leave it too late to expand and you're dead, time it right and no one will catch you. Then again the tortise beat the hare. Personaly i find picking a rookie to start in each pos a little more exciting. Mind you personaly this year i'm avoiding it in the rucks and backs.

good luck

Who will he displace in that midfield? Answer is no one unless there are injuries. I suspect that Voss will play him off the bench, use in midfield rotations & up forward.

He played for a very strong WAFL side and played a lot up forward. Kicked 5 goals from memory in the 2007 final.

The main hype around Rich is the fact he "should" play 22 games if fit. Those are the perfect type of "cash cows".

Remove this Banner Ad

Why all the Hype

Remove this Banner Ad

Back