Why are Port more hated than the Crows?

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot of Port's detractors try to have it both ways by making the simultaneous claims that:
1. The Power side that PAFC fields in the AFL has absolutely no connection to anything that existed prior to its registration in 1997; and
2. Port's original sin is its betrayal of the SANFL back in 1990, and that odium hangs over all things Port to this day.

With this doublethink they betray full acknowledgement of the club's legitimacy as an old club. After all, if there was a break in continuity of the story of the PAFC between pre and post AFL entry, there should have been a resetting of their hatred for us. But here we are.

While I sometimes agree that we lean a little too hard into the club's success in this state, it seems a fair thing to try and draw inspiration from. That aside, I think you would struggle to find anyone who disputes the fact that our AFL team is the Power. We chant po-wer at games when we're up, our mascot is the thunderbolt head dude, the AFL gameday experience is all about the Power.

AFL teams were around prior to the VFL. Essendon would be on 20 premierships and Geelong on 17. Carlton on 18. And Sydney/Brisbane would have a few more too with South Melbourne and Fitzroy picking up a few. But none of those teams ever try to claim those premierships, even though they are the EXACT same teams that went into the VFL. They were not new teams created like Port Adelaide AFL team, They were literally the same team going into X league. Port Adelaide is the only club that tries to claim premierships from a different league AND a different team. I don't even hear Brisbane peep a word about Fitzroy premierships even though they do technically belong to Brisbane. This claiming of premierships is by far the most irritating fact about Port. It's actually sad and makes me pity the situation.

You can only go from your own experiences.

My own were formed mostly from Grand Final day 2007 - and very little to do with the result.

Started by bumping into a few at Young and Jackson's prior to the game. Had a good chat, seemed decent guys, knew their footy. All freely admitted they weren't confident but hopeful. Had two of them standing directly beside me during the game itself - both stayed to the very end, including all presentations (when I'd lost my state of mind), and were very congratulatory. No whinging or bitterness whatsoever.

Finally, bumped into more when a few mates and I got obliterated afterwards. Same again. No issues at all. Good spirited, happy for us long suffering Geelong fans. So from my point of view I've got no problem at all with Port or their fans.

I suspect the main reason people are interested (or more likely pretend to be interested) in whether Hinkley should be sacked (or until recently Beveridge) is much like the footy media, they just want a body. Doesn't matter which club as long as it's not your own.

AFL teams were around prior to the VFL. Essendon would be on 20 premierships and Geelong on 17. Carlton on 18. And Sydney/Brisbane would have a few more too with South Melbourne and Fitzroy picking up a few. But none of those teams ever try to claim those premierships, even though they are the EXACT same teams that went into the VFL. They were not new teams created like Port Adelaide AFL team, They were literally the same team going into X league. Port Adelaide is the only club that tries to claim premierships from a different league AND a different team. I don't even hear Brisbane peep a word about Fitzroy premierships even though they do technically belong to Brisbane. This claiming of premierships is by far the most irritating fact about Port. It's actually sad and makes me pity the situation.
Yes but your small time suburban 4 peat from the era of Scarlertt Fever and Diphtheria, played on gluepot shitholes in knickerbockers and baggy caps that only people called Doris, Beryl or Cecil can even get close to remembering is something to flex about. Yay VFL.

I really don't know how to respond to this other than to ask where you get the idea that Port fans claim to have more than one AFL premiership.

Well all Collingwood fans dislike Port because Port wants to take our Guernsey.

And speaking for everyone else, the fact they carry on about winning 200 Premierships in the SANFL is just sad. They entered the AFL in 1997 as the Port Adelaide Power. They are not the Port Adelaide Magpies SANFL Team.

If Port Adelaide had their way, we'd rename the AFL to the Port Adelaide Football League in honor of the greatest backwater football club in the history of the universe.
Take your guernsey😂.

You do see the design difference don’t you???

Hawthorns guernsey is the same as your guernsey too 👍 just different colours.

Take your Guernsey? - I gather you just mean the colours, as the jumpers are vastly different.
You'll be able to tell perfectly well that it's not their guernsey when Houston gets suspended for the finals series this weekend for a hit much less bad than the one Brayden Maynard was cleared for.

Well all Collingwood fans dislike Port because Port wants to take our Guernsey.

And speaking for everyone else, the fact they carry on about winning 200 Premierships in the SANFL is just sad. They entered the AFL in 1997 as the Port Adelaide Power. They are not the Port Adelaide Magpies SANFL Team.

If Port Adelaide had their way, we'd rename the AFL to the Port Adelaide Football League in honor of the greatest backwater football club in the history of the universe.
tHEy WaNt To StEaL oUr GuErNsEy ThAt We StOlE fRoM sOuF aUsTrAlIa FiRsT.

Crows supporters are a wierd lot, I know as 1 has infultrated my home thanks to my Daughter.

I dont particularly like the Crows

Anyway, my Wife and I decked their 3mth old, our first Grandchild
Had to stop reading here. That is disgusting. All because their father is a Crows supporter?

Port going behind everyone's back to make terms with Ross Oakley and the then AFL to enter in to the 1991 competition came as a shock and immediately put the SANFL and its clubs in a position of weakness.
They sook about this, but Norwood had done exactly the same thing. Port just gave the AFL a better presentation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always find it weird that occasionally power clowns get a glimpse of how the rest of world views them .. and they're genuinely surprised

Always find it weird that occasionally power clowns get a glimpse of how the rest of world views them .. and they're genuinely surprised
Not the rest of the world, just you weirdo racist mascotpunchers.

I dont hate Port. Theyll be one of the sides i hope can win it from here. They're a real club which is nice, its just a pity that they adopted the identity of Collingwood instead of fostering their own, so they couldn't really carry that through to the modern era no matter how hard they tried.

I guess I might also have a soft spot for them as they are an underdog. Their supporters fancy themselves to be a historically successful club, but their return of one premiership in 28 years is actually worse than North's 4 in 100. And no one is calling us historically successful any time soon. Its generally hard to hate a battler.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are Port more hated than the Crows?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back