Why are we still persisting with North?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 13, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Red Wings
It's not like he's young, he's 31. In his 18th match, average now down to 36.33.

Basically, he either makes a decent score, or fails big time.

117, 5, 38, 0, 125, 0, 6, 12, 96, 110, 8, 10, 79, 16, 2, 68, 1, 8, 10, 2, 21, 112*, 9, 90, 0, 20, 16, 0, 0.

5 DUCKS
15 SCORES 10 OR BELOW

Seriously?? :thumbsdown:

Annoys the hell out of me. While watching today I spent a good 30 minutes ranting to my old man about how both North and Hussey are getting a gig. Hussey I can understand why they persist still with. North however is getting to be a running joke. I mean please Smith would surely get the gig next test

Our batting is already light on, why we play Smith? Hughes has to come into number 6, like he should have back in New Zealand before North made that test prolonging ton.

It is bewildering, especially the "rationale" for it the selectors propelled from their arse a few months ago. He's never been more than a good-very good FC batsman. He had a really great year, he earned a chance to see if he can do it in the Test arena, become another Hussey, but he couldn't. His form was a flash in the pan. Now it's gone, and he should be too; by all rights he should be just another good FC player that battled his way into the Test team but ultimately couldn't hold his spot. And yet, he's not. He's a regular.

The worst part is that there seems to be no special reason for it. It's not like he was knocking the door down for years and years, and simply couldn't force his way in because of opportunities. He doesn't have some tremendous upside that we are yet to see. He doesn't offer anything that no other player does. His leadership is apparently good, but when you've got Ponting, Clarke, Katich and Hussey in the side, is it really that vital?

Quite simply, there is no reason to suppose that North's form is going to turn around. He is playing like he has played his entire FC career: useful, but not quite Test standard. This is nothing new. His one season of Test standard batting was the exception, not the rule, but for some reason the selectors can't see this.

The worst part is that there seems to be no special reason for it. It's not like he was knocking the door down for years and years, and simply couldn't force his way in because of opportunities. He doesn't have some tremendous upside that we are yet to see. He doesn't offer anything that no other player does. His leadership is apparently good, but when you've got Ponting, Clarke, Katich and Hussey in the side, is it really that vital?

Quite simply, there is no reason to suppose that North's form is going to turn around. He is playing like he has played his entire FC career: useful, but not quite Test standard. This is nothing new. His one season of Test standard batting was the exception, not the rule, but for some reason the selectors can't see this.

That is why they want him for when Punter, Kat and Huss have retired so Clarke has someone to turn to with a lot of experience. Or at least that is what Hilditch basically said. They want to stick to someone who is never going to be that much value to the team so that he can advise the captain. He's not even going to be the captain, just be an aide-de-camp. Does my gacking head in how stuff revolves around Pup.

And I have come to the point with our selectors that I just expect to hear a pile of shite whenever any of them say anything in the press.

That is why they want him for when Punter, Kat and Huss have retired so Clarke has someone to turn to with a lot of experience. Or at least that is what Hilditch basically said. They want to stick to someone who is never going to be that much value to the team so that he can advise the captain. He's not even going to be the captain, just be an aide-de-camp. Does my gacking head in how stuff revolves around Pup.

And I have come to the point with our selectors that I just expect to hear a pile of shite whenever any of them say anything in the press.

If that's what they want give a shot to Cam White, better batsman, captain and is the best slips fieldsman in Australia unlike North who is a complete liability.

Our batting is already light on, why we play Smith? Hughes has to come into number 6, like he should have back in New Zealand before North made that test prolonging ton.

Small issue of Phillip Hughes being an opener. Will never happen. He is Katich's replacement. Ferguson and Khwajza please, George Bailey as a roughie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hughes open with Katich, Watson to six. When Ponting and Hussey retire, move Clarke to three, White and Smith in. In other words

Katich
Hughes
Clarke
White
Smith
Watson
Paine
Johnson
Hauritz
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

When Katich goes, Watson back opening, Khawaja to six.

Don't understand why he is in the squad, should have been dropped last summer, and the more annoying thing is Smith, White, Khawaja and Ferguson all deserve a chance at number 6.

Hughes open with Katich, Watson to six. When Ponting and Hussey retire, move Clarke to three, White and Smith in. In other words

Katich
Hughes
Clarke
White
Smith
Watson
Paine
Johnson
Hauritz
Hilfenhaus
Bollinger

When Katich goes, Watson back opening, Khawaja to six.

Lol you absolute fruitloop. You will NEVER change the openers of which one is the Allan Border Medalist and the other is the test player of the year. Gosh I am glad you are not picking the side. White is a dud at test level, move on. Khawaja is ready now so pick him if you want at 4, then pick one of Ferguson/Smith at 6. Pretty simple concept. The openers are not going to change, 100% guaranteed.:thumbsu:

Lol you absolute fruitloop. You will NEVER change the openers of which one is the Allan Border Medalist and the other is the test player of the year. Gosh I am glad you are not picking the side. White is a dud at test level, move on. Khawaja is ready now so pick him if you want at 4, then pick one of Ferguson/Smith at 6. Pretty simple concept. The openers are not going to change, 100% guaranteed.:thumbsu:
Irony of you calling somebody a fruitloop because you can really call a batsmen who was used as a bowler a dud at Test level:rolleyes:

I wouldn't bother whingeing about it too much now, I've been screaming for his omission as have many other realistic followers of cricket for months now, clearly he's in the side to stay and that record the OP has mentioned is good enough according to the selectors, the selectors policy seems to be:
-good form is not a prerequisite
-your chances are better if you're 30 or older
-you get picked purely on reputation

The copout for North's inclusion will always relate back back to his form in RSA and ENG in 09 and his two scores against NZ, it's an absolute disgrace of a panel they have at CA

England must be laughing at the prospect of bowling to North

Khawaja needs to play. Future number 3, get his career started at 6 like Ponting.

Exactly.

The logic behind North playing is so mind-blowingly stupid.

We want him in there for when Huss/Kat/Punter retire - why?

How will it help the new kids when the senior player in the team is as likely to make a duck as he is to make 20?

Get rid of him, get Khawaja in the team so he can actually play with and learn from Huss/Kat/Ricky, and when they retire, he'll have had a solid couple of years to ease himself into the game.

Jesus our selection policies are ****ed.

North continue to get a game because he is in Punters pocket the same goes with Hussey and Hayden when he should have been dropped. We need to get Ferguson and Smith in the team very soon if not now.

4 centuries in 18 matches (plus 2 90's) is actually a pretty good record. The problem is he has pretty much no scores between 20 and 80. As a West Aussie naturally I'm biased toward him but I can't really see why he's still there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are we still persisting with North?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back