Why didn't MFC select Jack Darling??

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darling will be a good player - but not a power forward.

We didnt need Darling - but he will be a good player.

We did not need a strong tough player who has plenty of mongrel, can take strong makes in our forward line, moves fast for his size and can kick goals!
Cook may yet be a champion but at best it is 3 years away.
Darling is now and the next ten years IMO.
We did not take him because he did not fit the Choir boy MFC image.
We need a spread of age not 100% boys who will take 3 years to develop.
If we don't start showing some results, by the time all these skinny kids mature the membership will be down to 20 000 not 40 000.
And we will not be able to afford to keep them.

Bit of a strange comment on Darling. If anything, he definitely has the body type to become a power forward. Should be noted that he pulled in 9 marks which is just under double your 'Best-Game-he's-played' Jack Watts.

I remember being absolutely ecstatic that Darling slipped all the way to pick 26. I was sure he had no hope in hell of getting that far. I was a little worried during pre-season as we didn't see much of him from the training reports but since the season started he has been fantastic.

After we got burned with Tony Notte(project KPP), I am glad we got our hands on one who is ready from the get-go.

Bit of a strange comment on Darling. If anything, he definitely has the body type to become a power forward. Should be noted that he pulled in 9 marks which is just under double your 'Best-Game-he's-played' Jack Watts.

I remember being absolutely ecstatic that Darling slipped all the way to pick 26. I was sure he had no hope in hell of getting that far. I was a little worried during pre-season as we didn't see much of him from the training reports but since the season started he has been fantastic.

After we got burned with Tony Notte(project KPP), I am glad we got our hands on one who is ready from the get-go.

You guys are very lucky to get him, wish we had him. He also didnt have a great year on the field as well so that may have been another reason, however the year before that he was touted as a top 5 pick as he had a cracking year.

he has the body type, but does his playing style suit that of a power forward?

bate and dunn, two powerfully built men in the low 190's do not play as power forwards... obviously it's far too early to tell with darling

that was far from the best game watts has played, but it was a good foundation for more improvement

btw if you feel like taking pot shots at our players on our board... well, don't

It was not Watts' best game he has played, merely the best game in relation to his intensity and workrate. Considering it's those two things we see Watts lacking in theres a reason we were excited to finally see that come out in his game. He chased, tackled, ran with the flight of the ball and looked like he was one of the only players to give 100% on the night.

Yes, Watts has also had 9 marks in a game. He has also had several games with 8 marks. Had 5 marks even though he played just one quarter against GC.

Thanks for your concern now.

BTW Naitanui is laughably shit.

That is all.

Darling is quite like Aron Hamil - he's not a power forward at AFL level.

No idea why youre comparing him to Watts??

By the time our light bodied, tall, skinny kids develop they will be eligible for Free-Agency. WC have got 2 or 3 extra years out of Darling. Cook and Fitzpatrick may make it but we have to wait so long to find out. Darling will have 50 games up before these guys reach 10.

Darling is quite like Aron Hamil - he's not a power forward at AFL level.

No idea why youre comparing him to Watts??

You say you have no idea why he'd compare Darling and Watts....Then you compare Darling to Hamill???? He's a full 7+cms taller than him and twice the athlete. Can see similarities in their intensity and tackling though.

If Pav/Fev can be power forwards, Darling can. I'm assuming living in London you're yet to see him play, would make sense.

he has the body type, but does his playing style suit that of a power forward?

bate and dunn, two powerfully built men in the low 190's do not play as power forwards... obviously it's far too early to tell with darling

that was far from the best game watts has played, but it was a good foundation for more improvement

btw if you feel like taking pot shots at our players on our board... well, don't

If any 18 year old looks a power forward it's Jack. If you saw him in the flesh you'd see how big and strong he is. Has a small head/neck combo but his body is very big.

Also, is a natural forward and has dominated that spot in juniors. Very distinct difference to the two you mentioned.

BTW, was impressed by Watts on Thursday....Just about always finds a target and when he develops fully and there are other talls to spread the load and take some heat off he'll be even better.

If any 18 year old looks a power forward it's Jack. If you saw him in the flesh you'd see how big and strong he is. Has a small head/neck combo but his body is very big.

Also, is a natural forward and has dominated that spot in juniors. Very distinct difference to the two you mentioned.

BTW, was impressed by Watts on Thursday....Just about always finds a target and when he develops fully and there are other talls to spread the load and take some heat off he'll be even better.

oh i don't doubt he could play that role in the juniors, but will he translate that into an afl role?

he may well, but he wouldn't be the first not to be able to

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be honest, we all knew Darling's capabilities pre-draft and I'm dissapointed we didn't select him. My dad and I were in the car listening to the draft last November and when they said Pick 12.... we were yelling DARLING, DARLING! We were left dissapointed

No knock on Cook, honestly. I've never seen him play and hope that he's the man to double up with Watts in the future, with Jurrah as the 3rd tall.

Kind of like the Neitz, Robertson and Green combo from the (almost) glory days of 2005/2006.

Let's not turn on Lucas guys and girls, it'll do nothing constructive until we've seen him play 20 or so at AFL level

Insane, i also think darling is a power forward, but i think we need to move on and deal with what we have, not what we could've had. Darling is a beauty, unfortunately Melbourne and others didn't think so. That's just how the cookie crumbles i'm afraid.

Cheers Mr C

By the time our light bodied, tall, skinny kids develop they will be eligible for Free-Agency. WC have got 2 or 3 extra years out of Darling. Cook and Fitzpatrick may make it but we have to wait so long to find out. Darling will have 50 games up before these guys reach 10.
You have my vote and probably 60 -70 goals

We already had a bunch of third forward types. The decision might not pan out right but it made sense. Plus there's a good chance that he turns into another culture ruining Fevola type.
A "good Chance" he turns into another Favola.
Not sure how you decided on "good Chance".
If we had picked him He might have ended up
pissed in a St kilda night club and lose his spot in the leadership group.
After being our best player in the first four games of the year.
Cannot have any of those at the MFC.
Hang on we do!
He was just the type we needed and we past.
He could easily be our Buddy.

I don't want to continue this war but:

- Hardly set the world on fire in 2010 carnival (not that he needed to)
- Not quite big enough for power forward
- Examples of bad behaviour
- Knocked out and swelling on the brain in attack

That's 4 queries. Probably enough to pass with a first round pick unless you are convinced he's a gun. Should be noted that WC didn't even take him with their first pick.

That's 4 queries. Probably enough to pass with a first round pick unless you are convinced he's a gun. Should be noted that WC didn't even take him with their first pick.

When you consider that he was as good as a lock for the top 3 at the end of the 2009 carnival, it is a rather large fall from grace to go at 26.

The fact every club passed on him once is proof enough that there where more than enough question marks to by-pass him at 12.

And his is proving everyone of those 4 items wrong aint hindsight wonderful.

You say you have no idea why he'd compare Darling and Watts....Then you compare Darling to Hamill???? He's a full 7+cms taller than him and twice the athlete. Can see similarities in their intensity and tackling though.

If Pav/Fev can be power forwards, Darling can. I'm assuming living in London you're yet to see him play, would make sense.

Hamill played in an era where the average height of KPP's was much lower than today.

Im not knocking Darling at all - he looks great, but if you are comparing him to a great like Mathew Pavlich then you have lost me.

I see all the games from over here btw.

Any good Aussie pubs to watch the footy in London?

There are quite a few Aussie pubs over here actually. Depends which area you prefer - I am in Fulham myself and tend to head to the Billabong in Wimbledon or Wahoo bar in Putney.

We used to have the Aussie haunt Slug & Lettuce (aka **** and Legless) around the corner from me but its playing rugby and premier league these days. Most Aussie pubs will put on replays on Sundays and early in the week.

Alot of Aussies will head to the Walkabout in Sheperds Bush as well but its a fair bogan brigade there so I try to avoid.

Why? because we didn't tank like West Coast. Cook would of been gone by 25 then we would of had to take the next best tall in Darling.

When you try and do something like tanking do it properly will you Bailey!

West Coast should be praising Daniher. He is the mastermind behind the West Coast insurgence. He was the expert in getting teams to perform when he was out of contract.

I told everyone that last year wasn't the time to rise up the ladder cos it was a nothing year. Daniher said it perfectly "Do not perform poorly when you are out of contract".

People will think that I'm a Bailey hater but I tried to save him but was ridiculed by the BigSexc's of this world for being too negative.

Look at the situation now, everyone's lost patience, we have to win 10 games and we don't look like getting anywhere near that because we have gone backwards. Under my strategy he would of only needed to win 6 to 8 games and he would of got a 2 year contract.

No good now BigSexc going on about poor Bailey, it's over, it's finished. You and the Stinga haters cost him his job because you were too impatient to see results not me.

I will tell you what else I said and I would love to see Demonland bring it up again because they brought it up when we were close to making the finals trying to ridicule me again on my comments about Lyon after we got belted by over 100 points in Bailey's first 2 games.

While everyone was worried about Healy and Walls choosing the new coach I was more worried about Lyon. You just have to read his autobiography The Demon Within to know that he was a Neil Blame lover and I said he would get his Neil Balme style coach and he would get his Neil Balme style results and bugger me I was right again.

Lyon should not be considered as coach, only Roos, Malthouse and his assistants should. The heat should be turned up on Lyon on why he chose Bailey. I don't know why this hasn't happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back