Why do people care more about the muslims in gaza than those being persecuted elsewhere?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 9, 2010
de_dust2
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Why do people march out against and condemn Israel for their alleged breach of human rights in Gaza when we know there are other atrocities happening in other islamic countries perpetrated my islamic militants on much larger scales?

There are over 160,000 Syrians that have died in their own civil war in the last 2 years. People have been beheaded publicly in the last 2 weeks but nothing said about this on a comaprable scale to israel and gaza.

There have been more beheadings in Iraq and ISIS have shot unarmed persons in cold blood to further their own religious cause. They told a man he would not be shot if he converted to islam by repeating a piece of dialogue (prayer?) which he did. for his token conversion, which he did to save his own life, he had his throat slit and was beheaded alive. Dont believe me? the video is out there.

What about Boko Haram? whilst on a much smaller scale these religious fanatics kidnapped and murdered children by slitting their throats.

you may not agree with what israel is doing but they are not seeking the barbaric mass murder and destruction of other people based on their religion and this is a topic to be discussed in other threads already open.

so stick to the topic and discuss:

Why is there a bigger focus on Israels conflict with Gaza when there are even larger (religious) atrocities being committed elsewhere?

there seem to be countless muslim v muslim atrocities that are more barbaric than one could imagine but when israel fires at terrorists, jews around the world are attacked on the streets and school buses in sydney are invaded? strange.

Boko Haram only became viral worldwide news once high profiles from the US like Michelle Obama amongst many others began tweeting '#BringBackOurGirls'. This was roughly a month after news broke of the kidnapped girls. Another Muslim terrorist group doing bad, who wants to read about that amiright?

Muslims killing Muslims is everyday life in the Middle East, therefore is not as newsworthy.
Muslims killing Christians has become a common occurrence again recently, and persecution of Christians there has been around for god knows how long. As they are Christians, there is not outrage from the Left, therefore it is barely even newsworthy.
Jews fighting with Muslims, being Hamas, and winning, now there's an event that will fire up the Left's selective outrage. If Left winged groups cared equally about all killings, genocides and what not worldwide we would get a more even focus on these events. Mass media knows which stories sell better and therefore focus on those events more so than others which may be 10x as bad.

Stories on Israel get more clicks, not to mention the amount of people taking up the cause on both sides gives it momentum fuelling the commentators ad revenue from talking about it. There's only so many beheadings the public wants to hear about before they start changing the channel. Not to mention that Islamic extremists committing atrocities is almost a foregone conclusion, the populace at large doesn't want to hear about it. Israel vs Hamas is a sexy grey area topic that intellectuals can analyze and talk about.

Atrocities in general should get more coverage than they do, but the media likes putting all their eggs in one basket and the war in Israel gives them regular enough headlines for them to think overhyping is the way to go.

It's just a bigger story because you need two sides to tango, the media can't circlejerk on a story for long before moving on. There's no money in journalism, but big money in sensationalism. Same reason A Current Affair would rather yell at perverts on the street than do a big story.

I don't think it has much to do with the Left or an Islamic conspiracy, I think that as the situation with ISIS escalates that will start to gain as much coverage as well, and the media will drop the Israel story like they did the Syria and Kony (remember Kony?) ones.

It's an interesting question, although it seems like one you've got a vested interest in rather than caring about the discussion of it. Apologies if I'm wrong, but that's just how I read the OP.

Is it because people are antisemetic? No, I don't think that's it. I think a lot of people don't agree with Israel's policies, especially since they are definitely the ones in this conflict with the upper hand.

Is it because people expect more from a Jewish state than a Muslim one? Quite possibly. Like other posters have mentioned, the Western world already has a view of Islam as being barbaric and inhumane, therefore there might be a sense of inevitability of atrocities committed by Muslim groups.

Or could it be because Israel is a nation, not a sectarian group? Again, quite possible. Syria is in the grips of a civil war and although it is generally abhorred, it is also commonly accepted that there will be horrific casualties and atrocities occur. The same when a group like ISIS invade Iraq.

There are also a lot of socio-historical reasons for the interest in this conflict, particularly due to the hundreds of years where Christian and Jewish forces have battled against Muslim forces. Right now, the USA is the dominant super-power and controls the mass media (which then dictates the stories taken up in other nations) and the USA has a powerful Jewish lobby and a long-standing interest in and support of the nation of Israel. So the fact that it is dominating media coverage is not particularly surprising really.

What I've found interesting is that the worm has turned quite a lot lately and there has been a lot more reporting from the side of the Palestinians, that previously didn't occur. This has then lead pro-Israel media outlets to intensify their denouncements of Palestine, Hamas, Muslims and Arabs on general.

But let's see how well this thread goes ...

Why do people march out against and condemn Israel for their alleged breach of human rights in Gaza when we know there are other atrocities happening in other islamic countries perpetrated my islamic militants on much larger scales?
Pretty simple really.

Israel is a western democracy.

As such I expect better of them.

Probably the same reason you're ignoring all the Muslims killed by Christians.

Probably the same reason you're ignoring all the Muslims killed by Christians.

ive condemned hamas just the same as i condemn all the other religious militant groups. i dont see the same people that condemn israel condemn these groups to the same extent.

imo Hamas has a lot more similarities to these religious militants than Israel and the IDF.how they can 'take sides' with hamas but then say these are militants groups are so much worse baffles me. Hamas want to kill the jews just as much as these other groups and behave in a very similar manner yet people seem to ignore this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ive condemned hamas just the same as i condemn all the other religious militant groups. i dont see the same people that condemn israel condemn these groups to the same extent.

imo Hamas has a lot more similarities to these religious militants than Israel and the IDF.how they can 'take sides' with hamas but then say these are militants groups are so much worse baffles me. Hamas want to kill the jews just as much as these other groups and behave in a very similar manner yet people seem to ignore this.

Head in the sand moment or what? When confronted with the reality you start yelling louder....

im willing to acknowledge the imperfections of all parties. it seems some others arent

and this thread is not about christians killing muslims. if you feel inclined go make thread about that

So what IS this thread about? As I suspected, you aren't actually interested in discussing the question you raised in the OP. Instead, you've just used it to provide further opportunity to give your opinion on who is "right" and who is "wrong" in this conflict.

If only someone had of reported anything at all about those "little skirmishes" in Iraq...

Why is there a bigger focus on Israels conflict with Gaza when there are even larger (religious) atrocities being committed elsewhere?

That word sums it up. For all the hand wringing, there is little care for the Palestinians, just a hatred of Israel/Jews.

The left don't actually care about the lives lost, they just use it as an excuse to release their imprinted hatred of Jews and Christians.

Muslims killing Muslims = Who Cares
Muslims killing Christians = Who Cares
Muslims killing Jews = Who Cares
Christians killing Muslims = Outrage!!!!
Jews killing Muslims = Unfathomable outrage.

The left don't actually care about the lives lost, they just use it as an excuse to release their imprinted hatred of Jews and Christians.

Can't expect much else from people who march with Muslims who're holding up jihad flags.

Pretty much.

The bit that always confuses me about this though is that they're the group that least supports the 'causes' the left usually claims to hold dear....Tolerance, women's rights, gay rights, etc...All less likely to be supported by muslims.

The only conclusion is that they're not FOR Muslims, they just hate the muslim usual opponents (US, Israel, 'the west') more.

Pretty much.

The bit that always confuses me about this though is that they're the group that least supports the 'causes' the left usually claims to hold dear....Tolerance, women's rights, gay rights, etc...All less likely to be supported by muslims.

The only conclusion is that they're not FOR Muslims, they just hate the muslim usual opponents (US, Israel, 'the west') more.

It's hypocrisy at its finest.

Pretty much.

Minority left wing groups and causes such as gay rights groups and feminists tend to align themselves with other minority groups. This is why you'll never see gay rights and feminst groups criticising Islam, yet both will openly criticise Christianity with no problems.

Careing gets you online good person credits. Its a race to a virtual mountaintop.

Nothing helps people dieing in fairytale inspired conflicts more than a good feelgood rant.

Forgive me for answering a question with a question.

Why does the US give multi billions of dollars every year to Israel, and not to other countries in the Middle East? And why, along with the UK and Australia, does the US continue to give unequivocal political support to Israel?

Grasshopper, when you have answered these questions, then you may find the answers to your own.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do people care more about the muslims in gaza than those being persecuted elsewhere?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back