Why do you punt?

Remove this Banner Ad

PowerfulPies2023

Club Legend
Oct 5, 2023
AFL Club
Collingwood
I enjoy the thrill of placing and having bets on. I enjoy it more than the game itself which is what and why I bet on. It isn't always fun the game itself and it can be stressful. But I like odds and prospects of teams/players chances of winning. I've travelled a lot and just came back from holiday. I can afford to go places at times and enjoy life but even still, I like to bet. Materiel possessions are great but nothing quite does it for me like a punt and also the enticement of '' bonus bets ''

Looking forward to Euro 2024 actually soccer and footy and some of my favourites to bet on.

I never got into pokemon however

I want to be the very best, the best there ever was, to win the bets is my real test, to find those dengens is my cause.

I like to punt on the horses. Every race is a puzzle to solve. Sometimes you get it right, most of the time not. Bonus bets make it a mostly profitable activity, but staying disciplined with the profits later on in the day/ night is the challenge. I don’t really enjoy sports betting. I don’t actually enjoy the game if I’m distracted by a player needing x amount posessions. Each to their own though, I get the thrill of chasing that SGM, just not for me

A couple of reasons:
*Boredom - If I'm sitting around with nothing to do there's a fair chance I'll end up punting on something. I've got much better at this lately by keeping myself occupied.
*Opportunity - There's the odd game/race/situation where there's, in my opinion, a horribly incorrect market that I'll chuck some decent coin into to try and take advantage of. It's rare, but it does happen.
*An edge - A sub-category of the boredom above but every now and then I'll go off on a binge of stats and data (thanks ADHD) trying to find an edge in play and testing the theory both using historical data and future odds. For example I had a narrow window there when Bettr first launched that their total score ranges for AFL games were out of sync with other markets, which was enough to reap a $2k profit over a 3 week period. I can also tell you, after 4 hours of research, that the A-League o/u 2.5 goals a game market is not worth betting on.

I love the thrill of getting something right.

Of course winning money is nice, but I actually get a bigger thrill from hypothesising that X will happen and then seeing it play out.

Luck plays a big part in the outcome, but an opportunity to 'beat the system' is irresistible. L0ike ash_1050, I have periods where I crunch numbers for a couple of hours, trying to find anomalies/mispricing.

I work in finance and trade shares actively. The same thing applies there, but on higher $ stakes.

But it's not all about the money. It's more a primal pattern recognition kind of game. I mean even when I am driving, I find myself thinking 'that guy is driving aggressively, I bet he moves over to the lane on the left and then overtakes everyone from the lights'. And if/when he does, I get to think 'Ha, I knew it' and give myself a little metaphorical pat on the back. Playing card games, trying to predict others' decisions and moves also gets the juices flowing (yes, I am a massive nerd).

Plus all the usual: boredom / shits & giggles / it gives me a 'dog in the fight' for neutral matches. Although I admit I am trying to avoid the issue that chunkylover raised, where I spend more time looking at stats than the actual match.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back