dansmith1988

Rookie
Nov 2, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PAFC, PAMFC, PDFC !
I was just wondering what are your thoughts on why are Port so successful when they play at Subiaco Oval. Their record is 8/10 and out of their last 8 matches there they have won 7.

Because they are a better team than than West Coast and Fremantle.
Simple as that.

They have finished on top the last three seasons, you would expect they would have favourable records at most grounds.

Having a hard working midfield helps.

Because they get plenty of practice.

Collingwood would have a similar record to Port, but the AFL discriminates against us by not scheduling enough Perth games.

:) :)

Decent negating midfield, countering the looser, attacking styles of WA
A power forward that they can't handle in Tredrea.
A good scrambling & intercepting defence - tears apart sloppy forward entry to non-existant tall forwards.
Forward-line pressure on unaccountable half-backs (this is a Freo speciality).

Porthos said:
Decent negating midfield, countering the looser, attacking styles of WA
A power forward that they can't handle in Tredrea.
A good scrambling & intercepting defence - tears apart sloppy forward entry to non-existant tall forwards.
Forward-line pressure on unaccountable half-backs (this is a Freo speciality).

thats the long winded way of saying they are better.

I think the 'very good team' pretty much sums it up. Mind you, Brisbane also fit that description, and we've had no trouble with them at Subiaco.

Regarding the results against West Coast,we've played 3 against them at Subiaco during the Worsfold era, won one comprehensively, got beaten comprehensively once, and lost a very tight game last year.

The one we lost comprehensively in Worsfolds debut season was a game in the wet, which pretty much negates the pace advantage at Subiaco. The one we lost this year was an unbelievably tight contest that we threw away by missing multiple very gettable shots in the final term. Hit the post about 3 times in the final ten minutes from memory.

Misfortune aside, I think the main reason port play subi better than a lot of other sides is discipline- if you lack the ultra pace needed to capitalize on the wide spaces, you need a team which is disciplined enough to stick to their men constantly for four quarters, because generally if a player can find space at Subiaco, he's got time to do something useful with it.

Port have/had a slew of very disciplined, tight midfielders who are very well adapted towards strangling the life out of the kind of runners we have.

Mead said:
I think the 'very good team' pretty much sums it up. Mind you, Brisbane also fit that description, and we've had no trouble with them at Subiaco.

Regarding the results against West Coast,we've played 3 against them at Subiaco during the Worsfold era, won one comprehensively, got beaten comprehensively once, and lost a very tight game last year.

The one we lost comprehensively in Worsfolds debut season was a game in the wet, which pretty much negates the pace advantage at Subiaco. The one we lost this year was an unbelievably tight contest that we threw away by missing multiple very gettable shots in the final term. Hit the post about 3 times in the final ten minutes from memory.

Misfortune aside, I think the main reason port play subi better than a lot of other sides is discipline- if you lack the ultra pace needed to capitalize on the wide spaces, you need a team which is disciplined enough to stick to their men constantly for four quarters, because generally if a player can find space at Subiaco, he's got time to do something useful with it.

Port have/had a slew of very disciplined, tight midfielders who are very well adapted towards strangling the life out of the kind of runners we have.

What he just said!

They go in with a game plan and have personnel good enough to execute it and stick to it for 4 quarters.

dansmith1988 said:
I was just wondering what are your thoughts on why are Port so successful when they play at Subiaco Oval. Their record is 8/10 and out of their last 8 matches there they have won 7.
Because since Port entered the competition, bar a couple of early seasons they've just been better than the WA teams.

MarkT said:
Yep, better side and they can travel. It's all in the head.

Yeah, but Brisbane travel well, and Brisbane have an atrocious record in Perth. IIRC they've lost the last four times they've been here, and 2 of their 3 wins in Perth were in 2001 (the other was over Freo in another season Freo got a PP). Travel does play a part in any game where its involved.

This goes back to the points I made.

Brisbane try and beat you to the ball, where Port try to exploit your stuff ups.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mr Q said:
Because since Port entered the competition, bar a couple of early seasons they've just been better than the WA teams.

Yeah, but Brisbane travel well, and Brisbane have an atrocious record in Perth. IIRC they've lost the last four times they've been here, and 2 of their 3 wins in Perth were in 2001 (the other was over Freo in another season Freo got a PP). Travel does play a part in any game where its involved.
Isn't Brisbane's overall record against WCE not good? I thought you regularly beat them at the Gabba too......

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do you think Port is so successful at Subiaco Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back