Why does no one think that Collingwood will beat Sydney on Saturday night ?

Remove this Banner Ad

so what if the pies have beaten us twice this season, it's finals footy now...different ball game. The pies can't handle finals pressure..
A lot of people seem to think Collingwood can’t handle finals pressure. Collingwood have played 3 finals series in the last 5 years. In two they made the GF and in those 2 years played 1 bad final against the team of the era and were the only team to beat that team in a final until the 2004 GF – their 4th in succession. Last year Collingwood were ordinary in their 1 final. Since then a dozen players have debuted and Pendlebury, Cloke, O’Brien, Thomas and Heath Shaw have improved significantly. The Dogs made Collingwood look ordinary. They have had the wood over us in recent years. On the other hand we have had the wood over Sydney in recent years. Yes Sydney have a good finals record. Two years ago they won their only grand final in longer than probably anyone on here has been alive – about two thirds of the time the competition has existed.

Most folks would be picking the Swans based on our great finals record in winning finals we haven't been expected to win.Yep we like that underdog tag as good as anyone.

I don't think you'll find too many Swans fans who have watched the team all year think they'll go into this game as any sort of favourite. We've lost close games this year that we have won in recent years. We've beaten poor performing teams very well (hence the good %) but apart from last Sunday have struggled against the Top 8 sides all year. All that has given us a very inconsistent look all year.

The Pies have been inconsistent too but have a good excuse with a building team. They have lifted well in games they haven't been expected to win with good combination of pressure close in and speed out wide (hmmm that sounds familiar).

Our back six looked very good last Sunday but the Pies delivery I50 the last time we played them was very good, it wouldn't have mattered who we had down there. If we let that happen again the Pies will win by about the same margin as last time.

Hmmm I wasn’t aware the swans were favorite for this game? As a swans supporter, the only team I didn’t want them to have to play in the finals is Collingwood. We just dont match up well against them, and they are a lot quicker. Pretty simple. Any other team we would have a fair chance with at the MCG.
I was hoping the swans would lose against the Talkers on Sunday, in order to avoid this. Now, I obviously hope/ wish for them to win, but in all honesty, I think if I was a betting man, I would back Collingwood.

Hmmm I wasn’t aware the swans were favorite for this game? As a swans supporter, the only team I didn’t want them to have to play in the finals is Collingwood. We just dont match up well against them, and they are a lot quicker. Pretty simple. Any other team we would have a fair chance with at the MCG.
I was hoping the swans would lose against the Talkers on Sunday, in order to avoid this. Now, I obviously hope/ wish for them to win, but in all honesty, I think if I was a betting man, I would back Collingwood.

Agreed. It's funny, aside from the starter of this thread I see a lot more Swans supporters expressing caution- myself included. It's wierd to be touted as some sort of finals bogey side- in spite of this years form, the aging and/or injuries to many of it's stars and the fact our recent record against many of the prospective finals opponents isn't brilliant, particularly the one we are playing this week.

This isn't about seeking underdog status (like that makes a difference any more), it's about acknowledging facts

Agreed. It's funny, aside from the starter of this thread I see a lot more Swans supporters expressing caution- myself included. It's wierd to be touted as some sort of finals bogey side- in spite of this years form, the aging and/or injuries to many of it's stars and the fact our recent record against many of the prospective finals opponents isn't brilliant, particularly the one we are playing this week.

This isn't about seeking underdog status (like that makes a difference any more), it's about acknowledging facts

Yeah i'm not sure where this favouritism comes from, i'm not pencilling it in just because it's a final. The Swans will have to do everything right to win on saturday, and they need to start by not letting the Magpies midfield run amok, because that's where they've killed us this season. I always find it hard to tip against my heart, but this is not going to be easy for Sydney.

An aside- this was meant for the "here come the bloods thread, but it applies here anyway
always find it hard to tip against my heart, but this is not going to be easy for Sydney.

Here here

A lot of people seem to think Collingwood can’t handle finals pressure. Collingwood have played 3 finals series in the last 5 years. In two they made the GF and in those 2 years played 1 bad final against the team of the era and were the only team to beat that team in a final until the 2004 GF – their 4th in succession. Last year Collingwood were ordinary in their 1 final. Since then a dozen players have debuted and Pendlebury, Cloke, O’Brien, Thomas and Heath Shaw have improved significantly. The Dogs made Collingwood look ordinary. They have had the wood over us in recent years. On the other hand we have had the wood over Sydney in recent years. Yes Sydney have a good finals record. Two years ago they won their only grand final in longer than probably anyone on here has been alive – about two thirds of the time the competition has existed.
markt, 4 finals in last 4 years.
11 finals in last 4 years, for the majority of the squad.

which one do you figure will win based off experience?
the team that will lineup against you will have almost every single player from last years finals series.

I'm very worried about this game, as I should be seeing as it's a final. Night games have killed the Swans all year - would be interested to know what our record is at night as opposed to day.

50/50 game is about right.
Yes but the Swans are favourites, and their players have recently been talking about how it was their fault for losing to Collingwood twice this season, and not giving credit to the opposition. I agree that it is about 50/50, and it's going to be different than it was two weeks ago.

I expect a fired up Sydney to be determined to not lose three times in one season to Collingwood and to continue on into the finals, so it's going to be tough. I hope that Collingwood can find the extra required to meet that, so time will tell.
WTF are you talking about, there would be a much larger percentage of people who DO think the pies will beat the Swans!
You are joking aren't you? Have you been looking at the tipsters selections? This appears to be fairly standard regarding this match...

Herald-Sun Tips: Collingwood (10) v. Sydney (16)
The Age Tips: Collingwood (5) v. Sydney (9)

Are you trying to play it down, or trying to take the title of the underdogs? We are the 'Underdogs'!
Have you been looking at the bookmakers prices? You'd swear it was Sydney that has beaten Collingwood the past three times, and this match was at the SCG, and not the other way around...

Sporting Bet Australia: Collingwood $2.05 v. Sydney $1.75 fav.
Sports Bet Australia: Collingwood $2.10 v. Sydney $1.70 fav.
Centrebet Australia: Collingwood $2.05 v. Sydney $1.75 fav.

The to top it off, Paul Roos stated earlier in the week that Nathan Buckley should continue playing next year as though tonight will be his last match for the season! He could be right of course, but it's a bit bold to be discussing the future of Nathan Buckley, particularly as I'm sure he hopes to be playing four more matches this season.

Then in The Age today, Brett Kirk has again decided to not give any credit to Collingwood for the previous wins against the Swans this season. He has basically claimed that it was their poor performance that led to the last loss against Collingwood, more than Collingwood's good performance, while the same things were being said after their mid-season loss in Sydney as well. Brett Kirk was one of the AFL captains that did not predict Collingwood to make the finals before the season started.

Hopefully Collingwood can use this lack of respect from the tipsters, the bookies, and the Swans, along with the All-Australian selection snub as extra motivation.

Hopefully Collingwood can use this lack of respect from the tipsters, the bookies, and the Swans, along with the All-Australian selection snub as extra motivation.

I think the reason the tipsters are saying the Swans will win is because they are using the disrespect of being written off two weeks ago, and the fact they lost to a pretty average team three times in the past two years. The same average team that got belted by another average team in Brisbane by 91pts and only just pipped the Blues.

If the same team that smashed the Hawks in the first half last week turns up, we will win easily. If its the same team that faced Collingwood the last three times, we will get the same result. Disrespectful or not, I dont believe the fate of this game is in Collingwood's hands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not confident, however we've beaten them twice this year - that doesn't mean anything though.

They are a very good finals side, so we will have to be at our best tonight.
Carn the Pies!

Yes but the Swans are favourites, and their players have recently been talking about how it was their fault for losing to Collingwood twice this season, and not giving credit to the opposition. I agree that it is about 50/50, and it's going to be different than it was two weeks ago.

I expect a fired up Sydney to be determined to not lose three times in one season to Collingwood and to continue on into the finals, so it's going to be tough. I hope that Collingwood can find the extra required to meet that, so time will tell.You are joking aren't you? Have you been looking at the tipsters selections? This appears to be fairly standard regarding this match...

Herald-Sun Tips: Collingwood (10) v. Sydney (16)
The Age Tips: Collingwood (5) v. Sydney (9)

Have you been looking at the bookmakers prices? You'd swear it was Sydney that has beaten Collingwood the past three times, and this match was at the SCG, and not the other way around...

Sporting Bet Australia: Collingwood $2.05 v. Sydney $1.75 fav.
Sports Bet Australia: Collingwood $2.10 v. Sydney $1.70 fav.
Centrebet Australia: Collingwood $2.05 v. Sydney $1.75 fav.

The to top it off, Paul Roos stated earlier in the week that Nathan Buckley should continue playing next year as though tonight will be his last match for the season! He could be right of course, but it's a bit bold to be discussing the future of Nathan Buckley, particularly as I'm sure he hopes to be playing four more matches this season.

Then in The Age today, Brett Kirk has again decided to not give any credit to Collingwood for the previous wins against the Swans this season. He has basically claimed that it was their poor performance that led to the last loss against Collingwood, more than Collingwood's good performance, while the same things were being said after their mid-season loss in Sydney as well. Brett Kirk was one of the AFL captains that did not predict Collingwood to make the finals before the season started.

I hope not. I'd much prefer us to have the underdog tag.

Either way I'm walking into the G tonight with the mindset that it's 50/50. If we win then I'll be stoked.

Collingwood should have a few players back (Fraser, Rusling, Didak) and have beaten Sydney pretty easily both times this year.

Collingwood match up well and have a pretty good record against Sydney over the last few years.

Sydney are a tough competitive outfit no doubt and Im expecting a pretty tough contest but certainly consider us a pretty good chance.

In contrast to all the people on here tipping Sydney, I would of thought an honest assesment of this game would have to see it as pretty close to a 50:50 contest.

I dunno but I tipped Collingwood in a close one:)

I think the reason the tipsters are saying the Swans will win is because they are using the disrespect of being written off two weeks ago, and the fact they lost to a pretty average team three times in the past two years.
According to 'Plugger 47,' if your mob needs that as motivation in a sudden death final then thay have no chance. Unless of course he is a hypocrite. The disrespect of course is beating a team twice yet still being the underdogs as Collingwood are yet again.
If your mob need that to motivate them in a sudden death final then they have no chance.
Who said anything about that being motivation alone? It can certainly be 'extra' motivation though, and that is what I said. The motivation is to stay alive. Sydney are using the previous losses to Collingwood as motivation as mentioned in a few articles this week, so how is that different? Please explain.

Couldnt give a flysing rat **** whether anyone thinks we can win that doesnt matter.

I believe we can the players and the coaches believe we can, the fact is we beat them the last three times (not with our best team on the park in any), and now we have fresh players back in.

So FTW!!!!!!!!!!!! and GO PIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Couldnt give a flysing rat **** whether anyone thinks we can win that doesnt matter.

I believe we can the players and the coaches believe we can, the fact is we beat them the last three times (not with our best team on the park in any), and now we have fresh players back in.

So FTW!!!!!!!!!!!! and GO PIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Couldn't agree more.

I think the reason the tipsters are saying the Swans will win is because they are using the disrespect of being written off two weeks ago, and the fact they lost to a pretty average team three times in the past two years.
Now it's four times in a row that Collingwood has comfortably beaten this pretty average team! :)
Disrespectful or not, I dont believe the fate of this game is in Collingwood's hands.
Somehow I don't believe you since it keeps happening. And this after a few Sydney players claimed that they were embarrassed by the previous losses and will be keen to reverse it. It's a final, yet Collingwood have easily beaten Sydney again! The only disappointment is that we can't play the Swans against this season.
Collingwood has got Buckley's chance.
Yes JJ, and he has been great in yet another easy win over this team! :D
If your mob need that to motivate them in a sudden death final then they have no chance.
I'm sure they did use it to motivate them that bit extra and Collingwood won easily!!! :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Why does no one think that Collingwood will beat Sydney on Saturday night ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back