Why Melbourne fans should not be confident!

Remove this Banner Ad

understudy said:
It'd be just like the dees to slip up next week. Bombers are due at some stage surely :confused:

It's actually quite possible, we have a terrible record after a big win. Especially when we're the clear favourites

Ahhhh yes...BF is all about the Red and the Blue!!!

CAARRRNNN THE DEEES!

Melbourne has a top 3 forward line in Neitz, Davey, Roberston, Yze and now Dunn, their midfield is killing it at the stoppages with good rotation in the ruck between White and Jamar and the backline has proven to shut down stong forward lines such as Collingwoods... PLUS they didn't have Moloney, Whelhan, Sylvia, McLean and Brown in that team on Monday. They look very good indeed. Future looks great for them also with Dunn, Bate, Chris Johnson and Clint Bartram (what a steal at pick 50 odd).
Doesn't matter about the TD record cos Victorian finals are played at the MCG and their interstate record is pretty good compared to others.

Whoever said they are contenders are spot on!

Don't know about contenders really, we certainly COULD be, our form against the best teams has been good.

At the G I would back us against anyone, but we may not get the chance to play finals there. We may not get to play finals at all unless the team keeps up their current efforts. Tis' a long season, as I predict Collingwood are soon to find out.

p.s. Clint Bartram is fast becoming a cult figure at Melbourne, well, he owuld if I could tell him and Johnstone apart. Both wear red shoes, have shaggy hair, and to make matters worse Johnno is number 16 and Bartram 19.

this thread was inevitable really and fair enough I guess from other clubs perspective. We have stumbled the last two years.

2004 - a massive confidence slump. Not mentally tough enough.

2005 - part of it was lack of mental toughness but also we were decimated by injuries (I'm talking at one stage our seven best players) and had the draw from hell where we had two trips to Adelaide, one to Brisbane and one to Perth in seven weeks and then Geelong at Skilled.

Admittedly, a good side would have won some of those games. But there was a valid reason behind the slump.

This year we've proven that injuries have little effect. Our youngsters have stepped up big time. We should be thereabouts come Sept. but we are a long way behind Adelaide.

I don't think there will be a repeat of the previous years. If there is you may label us soft and mentally soft and I will agree.

I think the amount of people from other clubs who have given a sensible critique about why we are better placed than 04/05 speaks for itself. Not only can we see lots of reasons why we we should (please, please) be OK to put up a good show in the finals but opposition supporters can too (thanks, guys, your views are appreciated).

Without trying to be too biased, they are one team that you can genuinely look forward to watching because they are playing a bloody good brand of footy.

I'll have to add miller to that list of inclusions. Although i would like to see him at CHF presenting as an option (rather than down back) he still adds more physical presence to the side.

understudy said:
Melbourne really do appear to be being overhyped given the losses they have had in 2006.

Hey Prickhead, why don't you have the guts to list the side you support.

Can't believe that ****heads come to this site and bag teams when they don't have the guts to name their own side.

Spineless idiots.

Demon in Hell said:
Hey Prickhead, why don't you have the guts to list the side you support.

Can't believe that ****heads come to this site and bag teams when they don't have the guts to name their own side.

Spineless idiots.

He/she/it goes for Collingwood. Hence, bitter. :D

Demon,

No offence intended, just throwing back in jest the same tiresome statements that have frequently been made towards Collingwood in 2006.

BTW who anyone supports is irrelevant, this is a AFL football discussion board, its not about who we all support.

Full credit to Melbourne for their win, played very good football.

understudy said:
Demon,

No offence intended, just throwing back in jest the same tiresome statements that have frequently been made towards Collingwood in 2006.

BTW who anyone supports is irrelevant, this is a AFL football discussion board, its not about who we all support.

Full credit to Melbourne for their win, played very good football.

You should come over to Demonology and have a look around there U/S a few pies supporters post there, Zeke being one.

Demonland is another site similar to this in format.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no reason why Melbourne fans should not be at least optimistic about where they are heading now, but in the back of their minds they MUST at least have a little doubt about whether they repeat the last two seasons fade outs. That is not a jibe - that is just common sense (lacking here on bigfooty usually).

They are still not in the top 4, and I don't think they will get there (our draw is just too good to lose too many in the latter part of the season and Syd/Adel/WC are certs). They are probably better off finishing 5th anyway so they can take on some cannon-fodder in the first week of the finals at the 'G (Freo/Cats/Lions/Port) instead of going interstate first-up.

ollie73 said:
There is no reason why Melbourne fans should not be at least optimistic about where they are heading now, but in the back of their minds they MUST at least have a little doubt about whether they repeat the last two seasons fade outs. That is not a jibe - that is just common sense (lacking here on bigfooty usually).

They are still not in the top 4, and I don't think they will get there (our draw is just too good to lose too many in the latter part of the season and Syd/Adel/WC are certs). They are probably better off finishing 5th anyway so they can take on some cannon-fodder in the first week of the finals at the 'G (Freo/Cats/Lions/Port) instead of going interstate first-up.
We will be in the Top 4 in 2 rounds time if Collingwood lose to Sydney. Whether we can stay there is another matter entirely, and if Collingwood's draw is especially favourable, then we would be lucky to get Top 4. Stranger things have happened. I don't believe Syd are Top 4 certainties atm.

You have a point lukeball14, and the last two years we have been very soft when a few losses have happened.
But I think we are different this year and I doubt it will happen again, as our draw isn't that hard either and a slump from here would be unacceptable.

luke ball14 said:
In 2004/5 they were in better positions than they are now at the same time and collapsed what makes you think it won't happen again?
Actually i think it will happen again, for they are a dud team built largely on confidence, confidence that once dissappears takes a long time to come back..(IE the streaks).

the_messiah said:
Actually i think it will happen again, for they are a dud team built largely on confidence, confidence that once dissappears takes a long time to come back..(IE the streaks).

Is that like a team of duds, Goddard - Schwarze - the Clarkes - Baker - Ackland - Fiora - McGough - Milne - Watts, the list goes on.

You have a couple of very good players but essentially you are running out of time, players like Harvey and Powell have seen better days and your coach is the greatest dud of all.

BTW who won recently, you or us?

Geddy Lee said:
We will be in the Top 4 in 2 rounds time if Collingwood lose to Sydney. Whether we can stay there is another matter entirely, and if Collingwood's draw is especially favourable, then we would be lucky to get Top 4. Stranger things have happened. I don't believe Syd are Top 4 certainties atm.

You are already equal top 4, so you can be clear top 4 after this round if you win, doggies lose and sydney lose. I'm not saying you won't reach the top 4 at some stage in the run home - just that you won't end up there. If you keep up your current form for another 11 weeks then you will!! If you revert back to your early season form (or a mixture of both) you won't! I back the mixture part - you are not that good to keep up your current form for the rest of the season (and neither is any team in the AFL).

understudy said:
One may well ask who have they beaten :confused:
Melbourne are the only team currently in the eight to have already played every other team currently in the eight. Of these seven matches (before you ask, it is seven because you do not play yourself!) we have won four. Adelaide and West Coast are the only other teams to have beaten four teams currently in the eight.

4 - 1 (5) Adelaide
4 - 1 (5) West Coast
4 - 3 (7) Melbourne
2 - 3 (5) St Kilda
2 - 3 (5) Fremantle
2 - 4 (6) Western Bulldogs
2 - 4 (6) Port Adelaide
1 - 2 (3) Sydney
1 - 3 (4) Collingwood
1 - 4 (5) Essendon
1 - 4 (5) Hawthorn
1 - 5 (6) Brisbane
1 - 5 (6) Geelong
1 - 5 (6) Richmond
1 - 6 (7) Carlton
0 - 7 (7) Kangaroos

Sydney play their next four games against teams in the eight, including both Adelaide and West Coast. Collingwood play three of their next four games against teams in the eight.

[Of course, this can all change as teams drop out of and come in to the eight]

luke ball14 said:
In 2004/5 they were in better positions than they are now at the same time and collapsed what makes you think it won't happen again?

worry about your own team dribble head.....whats the score now????

Remove this Banner Ad

Why Melbourne fans should not be confident!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back