Will a Geelong-Sydney Grand Final happen in 2024? What is the most likely matchup?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney Swans Grand final revenge tour... week one we demolish Geelong, prelim we belt Hawthorn, Grand Final we beat the dogs by a goal after the siren via a controversial umpiring decision and win the free kick count 52 to 3. Make it so

Both won their qualifying finals.

Sydney look certain to make the grand final. Will only have to beat a flakey port or an inexperienced Hawthorn

Geelong might have it a bit tougher. A full best 23 Carlton side, an experienced Brisbane or a GWS side that has had the wood over the Cats recently.

Both won their qualifying finals.

Sydney look certain to make the grand final. Will only have to beat a flakey port or an inexperienced Hawthorn

Geelong might have it a bit tougher. A full best 23 Carlton side, an experienced Brisbane or a GWS side that has had the wood over the Cats recently.
Any side that gets GWS in form like today at a more neutral ground is in trouble...especially if they kick straight.

Poor kicking at goal and a screaming SCG are the two reasons they aren't premiership favourites with a home prelim.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wish Carlton was a realistic possibility but in a bizarre season with so many unpredictable results, I'm almost certain the Bluebaggers are about to get rodgered to kingdom come by the Lions tonight at the Gabba.
I’d agree with this. I hope they’re taping plastic tarps around the Gabba because they’ll be cleaning blood off the walls for weeks

I think these are the 9 remaining grand final possibilities. Which one do we like best?

Sydney v Geelong
Sydney v GWS
Sydney v Brisbane
Geelong v Port
Geelong v Hawthorn
Hawthorn v GWS
Hawthorn v Brisbane
Brisbane v Port
GWS v Port

Despite our success this weekend, I'm actually pretty gutted on this Sunday morning after yesterday's result.

I honestly cannot see how it isn't Geelong vs Sydney again. If you asked me at the beginning of the season 'what is the worst possible Grand Final match up?', I would have said this, but followed up with 'thankfully there's no chance of it happening since they were 8th and 12th last year'.

My annual Grand Final day party might be given a year off, because it will be near-impossible to muster up any enthusiasm.

I probably won't go as far as to say I'll 'have a day out with the family instead', because that feels spiteful. But it won't be a day befitting of the usual revelry.

Am I the only one feeling this way?

Sydney vs Geelong last time it happen was a one-sided affair and generated low ratings for Channel 7 at a 2:30pm timeslot.

Might take Grand Final Day off enjoying the races from Sydney instead of watching plus the replay of the 2023 AFL Grand Final as a Pies fan

Sydney vs Geelong last time it happen was a one-sided affair and generated low ratings for Channel 7 at a 2:30pm timeslot.

Might take Grand Final Day off enjoying the races from Sydney instead of watching plus the replay of the 2023 AFL Grand Final as a Pies fan

Wow did it really? This is the first I’m hearing about it - definitely the first I’m hearing about it from you specifically.

What will you do about it if they DO end up qualifying to plan each other? Write to your local member? Post a Tweet? Set up a lemonade stand with some fact sheets out the front of your house and engage passers by with your thoughts on the matter and hope none of them laugh in your face? Help me out here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Will a Geelong-Sydney Grand Final happen in 2024? What is the most likely matchup?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back