Will Jon Brown leave the Lions? What's he worth in a trade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Give us a break, Pies are linked by managers to get the price up.

Interesting that some of the Carlton supporters who correctly called the Judd to Carlton deal, very early, are saying that Brown is on the way to Carlton.

Don't worry about it mate, I was told Judd was going to Carlton in July, that same person is now telling me it's highly unlikely he will leave, but if he does, it won't be to Carlton. They're hopeful, but that's it.

I get the feeling that wouldn't quite be enough.

I'd rather not have him anyway, as he would cost too much. I would want the Pies to be more focused on getting a good midfielder.

BUT... if he we were to trade for him it'd be probably be something like first round pick + Ben Reid + someone else like a second round pick or another first round if we could get one. Possibly a player like Maxwell or Rusling.
You'd have to give us a lot more than your trash to get Brown even though he's ready to sign:rolleyes:

Give us a break, Pies are linked by managers to get the price up.

Interesting that some of the Carlton supporters who correctly called the Judd to Carlton deal, very early, are saying that Brown is on the way to Carlton.

When you're guessing - or hoping - you win some,you lose some

I'd like to see Brownie and Judd,not to mention Fev,fitted into one salary cap situation

You'd have to give us a lot more than your trash to get Brown even though he's ready to sign:rolleyes:

What's wrong with that deal?

Our first pick this year could be a top ten pick. Ben Reid was a pick eight in the 'superdraft' and has shown some good signs, despite being very young. Maxwell is a decent player that would be a regular and plug a gap for a few years. Rusling has shown some great promise, but has been cut down with injuries. Or a second rounder in a supposedly good draft.

Good luck getting anything significantly better than that for a 27 year power forward. History shows us that they don't play much after 30, Carey and Brereton for example.

As with any other big name trade, Brown's value is dependent upon the circumstances.

He is uncontracted, so that pushes his price down.

Brisbane will probably finish above at least 4 Victorian teams, so that pushes his price down.

Chris Judd said he would play in 2008 in Victoria. He then demanded to go to one club. This lowered his price and limited his original club's options.

As it stands, Jonathon Brown has said nothing. He might be tempted by a longer contract elsewhere. He might be tempted by a bigger contract elsewhere. He might be tempted by the same contract in Victoria. If he says 'I'm leaving (and potentially 'trade me to club X')' it will be the Chris saga all over again. If he says he is open to offers it will become a bidding war.

Hmm yeah because it is only us.
Some of the offers by Brisbane fans when they were trying to get Riewoldt were pretty funny.

Sherman + Corrie and Sherman + 2nd round pick for Riewoldt.

No surprise that once again you are being shown up as the hypocrite you are.
Yeah because this is what I said r.e. a possible Riewoldt trade:

Beau and JMac? Just by adding more players and picks, doesn't mean you are making the deal any more enticing. St Kilda would have to free up 3 extra spots to fit those players in. Plus they would have to take around 6 or so youngsters in the draft that year - they wouldn't want to do that.

You have to trade quality to get quality. Not loose change. If you want to look at suggestions like that - head to the Collingwood board. Whenever they talk trades, players like Lonie, Rusling, Leon Davis, and Maxwell are the only players considered. That is never going to do the job.

To get a bloke like Riewoldt you would have to think players like Bradshaw, Adcock, Rischitelli, Sherman - possibly with a fairly high pick as well.

What would you expect to get for Jonathan Brown? I'm sure Lion supporters wouldn't be happy with Brooks and Montagna.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274387&highlight=Riewoldt

Got any more there peanut?

The obsession with out-of-contract Lions' players is quite flattering. 6 months ago opposition supporters were falling over themselves with the prospect of Adcock not re-signing, Charman not re-signing, and Brennan not re-signing. Not to mention Selwood, Clark, Drummond, McGrath, and Hooper. Whoops! The year before it was Sherman, Rischitelli, Bradshaw, and Notting. This year we have seen Clark and Roe so far. And there will be others.

What's wrong with that deal?

Our first pick this year could be a top ten pick. Ben Reid was a pick eight in the 'superdraft' and has shown some good signs, despite being very young. Maxwell is a decent player that would be a regular and plug a gap for a few years. Rusling has shown some great promise, but has been cut down with injuries. Or a second rounder in a supposedly good draft.

Good luck getting anything significantly better than that for a 27 year power forward. History shows us that they don't play much after 30, Carey and Brereton for example.
All the players you have mentioned wouldn't get a game for us. Next.

If JB was to be traded, based on Brisbane's failure to offer him a 5 year deal (which is almost certainly an ambit claim by Warry anyway), wouldn't the aspiring club have to be offering him 5 years?

If so, how many otherwise eligible clubs would be prepared to do that?

If JB was to be traded, based on Brisbane's failure to offer him a 5 year deal (which is almost certainly an ambit claim by Warry anyway), wouldn't the aspiring club have to be offering him 5 years?

If so, how many otherwise eligible clubs would be prepared to do that?

Spot On :thumbsu:. After the Aaron Hammill debacle & the modern day footy obsession with youth no one will offer JB a 5 year deal worth 6 - 6.5 mil. It would be list suicide.

JB Only has 3 or 4 (tops) more good years in him. My prediction is a 3 year deal worth 3.5 mil.

By the way does anyone know if players or clubs can use player/club options in contracts as incentives to sign shorter deals. That is say JB wanted a 4 year deal however the Lions only wanted to offer him 3, could the lions draft an option into the contract allowing the Lions an option of signing him for a further year or for JB to alternatively opt out. These are big in the NBA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you're guessing - or hoping - you win some,you lose some

I'd like to see Brownie and Judd,not to mention Fev,fitted into one salary cap situation

We can fit them in the same salary cap coz Swannie told every1 on the radio we can afford another big name player!!

All the players you have mentioned wouldn't get a game for us. Next.

Is that a joke? Or are youjust plain ignorant?

Ben Reid, as mentioned, was pick 8 in the superdraft, surely such a player would have a long future at any AFL club. Maxwell, I agree he is trash and Rusling would definitely complement Bradshaw and Brown with his pace and hard leads.

who can really trade that much for a 27yr old crash and bang, old school CHF with a history of injuries?

great player that he is, who'd want to bet too much on that form continuing. especially when you consider how slow out of the blocks he's been this year.

Brisbane can't give him a 5yr deal, and a Victorian club can't give him that either - unless they justify the cash on the basis that they're picking him up for free in the PSD. which Brown won't do, as that won't further his career and success objectives.

so if it comes to that, he'll stay in brisbane.

he's just too old, too injury prone, showing signs of slowing down - you can't sensibly bet the farm on him. Unless I guess you're hawthorn or Collingwood who think he might take them over the top in the next 2 - 3 seasons max. even then, big risk.

Let me start by saying that I think it is highly unlikely that JB will leave Brisbane. I think he is almost certain to stay put.

That said, if he insists on a five-year deal, what is the club meant to do? He'll be 27 at the end of the year. Signing a five-year, $6m deal isn't smart.

Caro is already on the case:

http://www.realfooty.com.au/articles/2008/05/29/1211654222126.html

Plenty of guesswork there.

But the question that interests me is about his worth in a trade.

To supporters of Victorian clubs - there's probably only 3-4 who would seriously consider going after JB - what would you be prepared to give to get him to your club?

As much as you guys need him Gunnar, he is no hope of heading West as he won't go to a club that can't win a flag in the next 3-4 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Jon Brown leave the Lions? What's he worth in a trade?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back