Will Jonathan Brown last the season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Between this, the "is Voss finished" type of threads, I've come up with a solution.

Voss is sacked, Brown retires and takes over the coaching slot, with a Scott Brother as an assistant - whichever one loses a game first.

Honestly, I think J Brown is close to the end, maybe a year or two, but I'm still scared that he'll kick 5 against the Pies:)

(p.s. Am I the only one to think that if his face melted off he'd look like the terminator?)

His career is over. He hasn't laid a tackle on the forward line for five years. Admittedly, this wasn't why he was there, but because of his one-paced running, he has been consistently exposed by more fleet-footed defenders embarrassing him. This one-paced running was what used to knacker defenders who weren't able to run with him all game. Now they can. What was previously a plus is now a minus

He has the turning circle of the Queen Mary. Not his fault. Just the inevitable outcome of putting your body through so much torture, for so long. His problems with his core body strength have been overshadowed by the more visible and 'sexy' facial injuries he has had in recent years. He was never the same after he was afflicted by that torso injury, which sidelined him for half a year. That he was able to play at all afterwards, at the level he did, is testament to a champion player, and bloke.

Despite all of this, he's still Brisbane's best forward, who still demands the opposition's best defender. Worth a place for that alone, but only if the other buggers take advantage of it.

His career is over. He hasn't laid a tackle on the forward line for five years. Admittedly, this wasn't why he was there, but because of his one-paced running, he has been consistently exposed by more fleet-footed defenders embarrassing him. This one-paced running was what used to knacker defenders who weren't able to run with him all game. Now they can. What was previously a plus is now a minus

He has the turning circle of the Queen Mary. Not his fault. Just the inevitable outcome of putting your body through so much torture, for so long. His problems with his core body strength have been overshadowed by the more visible and 'sexy' facial injuries he has had in recent years. He was never the same after he was afflicted by that torso injury, which sidelined him for half a year. That he was able to play at all afterwards, at the level he did, is testament to a champion player, and bloke.

Despite all of this, he's still Brisbane's best forward, who still demands the opposition's best defender. Worth a place for that alone, but only if the other buggers take advantage of it.

I wouldn't write him off yet. Certainly he wont be the 26yr old model, but he has a good football brain, he'll work out how to get the best out of himself, given a bit more game time.

I wouldn't write him off yet. Certainly he wont be the 26yr old model, but he has a good football brain, he'll work out how to get the best out of himself, given a bit more game time.
Oh, I'm pretty certain he'll kick 40-odd goals, probably including a couple of sets of five, but, and I hate to say this, his downside might exceed his upside towards the end of a long campaign. Brisbane is seemingly ill-prepared to deal with this eventuality.

I hope he does, because footy won't be the same without him.

He also has to, because the Lions don't have many other options that are capable of a better output over the course of a home and away season at the moment.

Oh, I'm pretty certain he'll kick 40-odd goals, probably including a couple of sets of five, but, and I hate to say this, his downside might exceed his upside towards the end of a long campaign. Brisbane is seemingly ill-prepared to deal with this eventuality.

They're better prepared than they where 3 years ago, but I agree, they wil have to look at another game plan.

I hope he does, because footy won't be the same without him.

He also has to, because the Lions don't have many other options that are capable of a better output over the course of a home and away season at the moment.

I hated it when Voss, Hird and Buckley retired, Brown wil be another loss, but time marches on and there will be another freak of the game next year:)

So the pattern after today's games...let me see if I have this right...

Pick older player who has a bad game and whose team are well beaten and start a thread:

Will (insert name here) last the season?

Seems easy enough.

Unfortunately for Brown, hes one of those players that every bloody person wants to see fail, to fall and be forgotten for the player he was.

Of course, if he had of been traded to Victoria, or started playing for someone like Collingwood, 90% of people would be calling him a champion, and writing today off as an off day for him.

Wait for Blacks first game back, where he might not do as good as he usually does, and everyone will say hes a has-been flog who should have retired at 29.

No-one wants to see him fail, in fact the vast majority really enjoy watching him play. Right now, he is in decline (and that happens to all players, even the greats) so it's not unreasonable for people to ask the question.

I'm sure most footy fans would prefer him to retire whilst he still had a little in the tank instead of hacking through another season when he has nothing more to prove.

So the pattern after today's games...let me see if I have this right...

Pick older player who has a bad game and whose team are well beaten and start a thread:

Will (insert name here) last the season?

Seems easy enough.

Yeah fair enough. There is not a lot you can do from the forward line when the midfield is beaten.
Ideally he would not be sitting up there as the number 1 tall target. He should be a handy but dangerous alternative target at this stage at his career (we will likely have the same problem with Pavlich). The reality is that Brisbane looked to have very few weapons, anywhere. Rich getting thrashed by a double-discarded player being the most remarkable 1 on 1 result perhaps.

In his first game last year vs Freo he got 3 disposals. Give the great man respect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately for Brown, hes one of those players that every bloody person wants to see fail, to fall and be forgotten for the player he was.

Of course, if he had of been traded to Victoria, or started playing for someone like Collingwood, 90% of people would be calling him a champion, and writing today off as an off day for him.

Wait for Blacks first game back, where he might not do as good as he usually does, and everyone will say hes a has-been flog who should have retired at 29.

Those two players have brought so much to the game for all fans, not just lions fans. They have had awesome careers and have been wonderful players.

In the context of this season they will be looked at against the backdrop of the Lions rebuilding and what they have to offer. If they are in the best 22 then they will come under some scrutiny. As will the club in terms of how it is going in a climb up the ladder. If half a dozen games into the season the club is assessed as being dependant on Brown and Black, then that is an X against their rebuilding process.

I think he'll keep going for a couple of years, but he desperately needs help down there, and they really need a player who can replace him once he's gone. He still averaged over 2 goals a game last season, he's still doing his job, it's just that because the Brisbane forward line is not all that strong a bad performance by Brown is amplified further because he's the only genuine target.

Way too early in the season to be making rash judgements, on anything for that matter. I can still remember us being written off after 2 rounds last year, the footy world needs to just take a step breath and realise that not every player is going to come out guns blazing.

I think its actually a bit different. People want to see him do well, and this is why we have taken notice of his struggle for form.

I reckon the very first reply in this thread was the best, I'm actually a little surprised a similar thread wasn't started last week after Pavlich was held goal-less.

We'll see one soon enough I reckon. After no preseason he'll likely have a Mundy 2012 year with a slow start before building up in the second half of the year. I'm sure there'll be a few posters lining him up before then.

As for Brown, I think he'll last the year but he's unlikely to be a significant force. No shame in that though, he's getting old and the way he's used his body as a battering ram all these years was bound to catch up with him.

Club has been very cautious with him the last few years in the pre-season so he always looks a bit rusty in the first game or so. Our forward line without him right now would be as exciting as Carltons forward line so I hope he makes it at least till 2014.

Reminds me of Sticks Kernahan at the tail end of his career. Unfortunately for Brown he doesn't have the Earl Spalding taking a fair amount of the pressure away from him. For mine he hasn't been the same player since Bradshaw left him.

Absolute horse shit.

If you ask many a Victorian based AFL supporter to name an AFL player over the past decade or so that they'd WANT on their team more than any other player in the competition I guarantee you Jonathan Brown would be near or at the top of the list. It's rare you find a more fearless, courageous leader who actually has the skills to dominate at his position. It's not uncommon to find one, a player who is fearless, possesses courage and leadership or the other, a player with mountains of ability, but it's exceedingly rare to find someone with both. For that not many players, particularly forwards, fit that category better than Browny. On top of it, the guy is the type of bloke who is just universally loved for being a bloke's bloke.

It'll be a sad day when he retires. Jonathan Brown will go down in the record books as an icon of the game even if some of you Brisbane fans do not want to acknowledge that the rest of us appreciate him too. He hasn't had to play for a big time Melbourne club to achieve that status in the game. Nobody has to. You just have to play the game at an excellent level over the span of your career and we'll recognize your rightful place in the history of the game. The same will be said for Adam Goodes and others when they retire.

Sadly i feel this is his last year, his form has dropped so much he has become a liability. He can't chase and his slow acceleration allows defenders to easily close him down. Personally i would put him in the box at FF for the rest of the year, let him do small leads out of the box, it gives you a little bit more time to setup when they rebound off him. Also if the opponent wants to play 2 defenders on him, let them play deep.

Looks absolutely cooked against the Bulldogs.

Has resorted to diving, pushing in the back and generally staging for free kicks. Timing is also off.

Looks a shadow of his former self.
Was wondering the same thing when watching him in the NAB cup grand final ...he looks like a lumbering big man these days ..he's athleticism is gone, if he doesn't mark the ball in the forward line, he becomes a big liability as most players in the comp could just run away from him ...unless he turns it all around i reckon this Year will be his last .

Remove this Banner Ad

Will Jonathan Brown last the season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back