Opinion Will lack of exposure to the MCG cost Sydney a flag this year?

Will lack of exposure to the MCG cost Sydney a flag this year?

• Yes

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Sydney have very obviously been the best team in the league so far this year and look very likely to take out the minor premiership. The other top 4 teams at the moment happen to be semi/permanent MCG tenants in Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood. Here is the amount of times each of the current top 4 teams play at the MCG this year:

Sydney - 3 (None between round 8-24)
Essendon - 8 (Last in round 21)
Carlton - 9 (Last in round 22)
Collingwood - 14 (last in round 24)

Is lack of exposure to the MCG going to cost the high flying Swans a flag this year? The argument was made last year when Brisbane lost the GF to Collingwood by less than a kick at a venue they had only played twice vs Collingwood's 16 games at the MCG leading into the GF.

No but if they don’t start to manage players soon, burnout might cost them.
True. Freo won today without their captain and best tall defender in Alex Pearce.

Freo were forced to play Draper and Davies. Both are 1st year tall defenders. One bloke has played 10 games the other played only his 2nd today

True. Freo won today without their captain and best tall defender in Alex Pearce.

Freo were forced to play Draper and Davies. Both are 1st year tall defenders. One bloke has played 10 games the other played only his 2nd today
Yep, stood tall and we'e gutsy where other sides have failed this year. Much better team on the day.

Last edited:
No. I've been informed by many supporters of Victorian clubs that it makes absolutely no difference and is of no advantage to any club on grand final day

Strangely though there's a lot of Collingwood and Carlton supporters telling me that we won't beat them at the G.
I don't think theres any advantage to playing at the G on GF day, I just think it's very different to playing at that pig pen they call the SCG. Ben Graham could just about torp the ball through the goals from a kick out its that short.

I don't think theres any advantage to playing at the G on GF day, I just think it's very different to playing at that pig pen they call the SCG. Ben Graham could just about torp the ball through the goals from a kick out its that short.

Except its not much shorter than the MCG

Que?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, apparently it's the umpires that costs Sydney flags. Shouldn't matter where the game is played.

First step is admitting it.

I don't think exposure to the MCG will cost them. If they lose to a Carlton or Collingwood (can't see anyone else beating them) it will be down to fan influence (70% Carlton or Collingwood fans) and these fans influencing umpiring decisions. The only way they beat another Victorian team is beating both them and the bias caused by the attendees at the stadium (probably 4-5 goal difference).

Odd remark. Was there 3 weeks ago and loved it as a venue.
The members and ladies dwarfed by newer and bigger stands but doesn't look out of place. Love that heritage.

Much better than the decrepit rundown old stand that's at Princes Park. That was sad to walk by at a VFL game earlier in the year.

Odd remark. Was there 3 weeks ago and loved it as a venue.
The members and ladies dwarfed by newer and bigger stands but doesn't look out of place. Love that heritage.

Much better than the decrepit rundown old stand that's at Princes Park. That was sad to walk by at a VFL game earlier in the year.
I've been to the SCG numerous times over the years and I reckon it is a great venue. I understand the need for upgrading it over the years, but, like you, love the mix of old and new with the two heritage stands.

Agreed, it was a very odd comment by WalshistheGOAT. I'm assuming it was a shot at the size of the ground. If so, as has been pointed out, it is now not much smaller than the MCG.

From what I could find on the web -
MCG - 160 by 141
SCG - 155 by 136 (I thought it was 152 by 136 but I will defer to Google)

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Will lack of exposure to the MCG cost Sydney a flag this year?

Back