• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
I'm in the mood for an unpopular opinion this morning so I'm going to say Taranto wont play round 1.
I get he looks like he's going to be a very good big bodied midfielder, and a great pick up long term. Leon's preßser after the JLT game was ambiguous and I didn't get a positive vibe re him playing.
I draw this conclusion from the following:-
1. He's new to the club and some development through the NEAFL to learn the team tactics and expectations seems likely.
2. First year in the system you would think he'ĺl need some conditioning work. In the post sub world players have to have the endurance to run out the game. Against this the clubs bio suggests he'll start as a forward and move into the midfield later but will we have a spot?
3. It's a small sample but the recent trend is for draftees to play later in the season, as for Hopper, Matt Kennedy and Himmelburg last year.
4. And I think this us a big one, it's a serious year for us. Long term development is important but this year will be about results like no previous year, and I think the best option up forward will play regardless of long term considerations.

I expect he'll play but in the later rounds, thoughts?

100% he plays for mine.
You don't play all three practice games, be in the top 10 in all and then not play when the bullets are live
It's a sound argument. I dont doubt he played the last couple because he's under consideration. Do you think he's ready to run out a whole game? Burying someone on the bench is a risky stategy if you get in-game injuries. Not saying he's not but he does seem to start games very well and drop off, but that can be hard to judge in pre-season games, as the club tries different things.

It's a sound argument. I dont doubt he played the last couple because he's under consideration. Do you think he's ready to run out a whole game? Burying someone on the bench is a risky stategy if you get in-game injuries. Not saying he's not but he does seem to start games very well and drop off, but that can be hard to judge in pre-season games, as the club tries different things.

Time on Ground isn't as flat-lined as people think, in the preliminary final loss the following were around 70%; Shiel, Griffen, Hopper & wilson, Cal was a lot lower for obvious reasons. I don't think any of them were hidden on the bench, Taranto and MK would be around that number imo.
There were plenty more at 80%.

As you say I doubt he plays out 90% plus, but he doesn't need to.

Time on Ground isn't as flat-lined as people think, in the preliminary final loss the following were around 70%; Shiel, Griffen, Hopper & wilson, Cal was a lot lower for obvious reasons. I don't think any of them were hidden on the bench, Taranto and MK would be around that number imo.
There were plenty more at 80%.

As you say I doubt he plays out 90% plus, but he doesn't need to.
Fair enough
I was just thinking can he do his share. If he starts forward there might not be too much bench time, but he may not need it. I think the mids rotate so they can go at full belt when their out there.

My thought would be that he's a high probability of debuting.

In the forwards, there's one spot available with Deledio's absence. Options would be Matty Kennedy & Taranto. In the midfield, there's Whitfield's spot. I would have said, before the JLT series, that Hopper would take that spot. With his injury - even if he did play a NEAFL practice game this weekend - it's a much more line ball decision. So, Hopper, Taranto, Matt Kennedy options there. If Cogs were to miss too, then there's another spot.

Who are the other options? With de Boer injured, that's one obvious experienced option gone. Mzungu & Reid are other more experienced options, but that requires their elevation from the rookie list. Perhaps Leon will feel that opening game of the season, interstate, is not the best option for a debut and take an experienced option. But, I think that's he's equally (or more) likely to think that Taranto is a number 2 pick, has shown the goods in training and PS games, and take a punt. So, I do think it highly likely that we'll see Taranto make his debut.

Taranto will play round 1. As Gigantic says, with key mids and forward out he moves into the 22 for know. With Lids, Whitfield returning and possibly Hopper fully fit and in top form at some point, Taranto might struggle to hold on. Let's see what he makes of the early opportunity.

I think he'll be in for round 1. I have him just shy of our best 22 at present but with Whitfield and Deledio certain outs for round 1 that pushes him right in to the 22.

^^^^ This - if he's good enough he plays. He's ready made and I think where we can get games into a guy like this that a) is ready to play and b) has done everything asked of him pre-season and c) opportunity exists, we do it. You just don't know how important 5 or 6 early games in the season could be when finals come around and there may be an injury or two.

^^^^ This - if he's good enough he plays. He's ready made and I think where we can get games into a guy like this that a) is ready to play and b) has done everything asked of him pre-season and c) opportunity exists, we do it. You just don't know how important 5 or 6 early games in the season could be when finals come around and there may be an injury or two.
Ok but those 5 or 6 games could be really important in accumulating points for our ladder positioning end of season too, just saying.

Ok but those 5 or 6 games could be really important in accumulating points for our ladder positioning end of season too, just saying.
Absolutely and hence my comment if good enough. Has to be earned on merit but if he's performing his body and footy nous is good enough to play at AFL level from the limited times I've seen him this preseason.

Absolutely and hence my comment if good enough. Has to be earned on merit but if he's performing his body and footy nous is good enough to play at AFL level from the limited times I've seen him this preseason.
All good, I appear to be significantly outnumbered in this thread, and expected to be. Discussion isn't much fun with everyone in complete agreement. Round one will be the first time I've seen him live if he plays, and may well agree then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All good, I appear to be significantly outnumbered in this thread, and expected to be. Discussion isn't much fun with everyone in complete agreement. Round one will be the first time I've seen him live if he plays, and may well agree then.
I still think it's a valid discussion, he's far from locked in the round 1 side I think

Looks at home at AFL level. Will be very disappointed if we leave him out.
Do you happen to know AO well? Last year I went to the Port game with a couple of Crows Supporters and sat in GA as they organised the tkts.
This year I went through the ckub as I expect a bumper crowd and didn't want to sit in a sea of Crows supporters in Giants colours.
I expected the the seat to be behind the cheer squad but it's aisle 28 in the Riverbank stand. I'm assuming the Hill stand uncovered end and where the oppo chèer squad goes?
Just a bit confused.

Do you happen to know AO well? Last year I went to the Port game with a couple of Crows Supporters and sat in GA as they organised the tkts.
This year I went through the ckub as I expect a bumper crowd and didn't want to sit in a sea of Crows supporters in Giants colours.
I expected the the seat to be behind the cheer squad but it's aisle 28 in the Riverbank stand. I'm assuming the Hill stand uncovered end and where the oppo chèer squad goes?
Just a bit confused.
Never been there. Moved away from Adelaide in 2005.

Would love to get back for a match at some point, my folks are still in SA.

Never been there. Moved away from Adelaide in 2005.

Would love to get back for a match at some point, my folks are still in SA.
Cool, will ask elsewhere just looked like an easy option
I have relies there, hometown Broken Hill. Can kill two birds with one stone by going to a game. Going to the A game this year. Beating Port becoming a bit passe, but will go to Canberra given I have a seat I think.

Just a bit confused.
Riverbank stand is the biggest one, Southern end, opposite end to the hill.

Not sure where aisle 28 is but level 1 is ground level, 3 middle and 5 top. Usually the top deck, eastern side has most of the opposition supporters (except the cheersquad bit)

Riverbank stand is the biggest one, Southern end, opposite end to the hill.

Not sure where aisle 28 is but level 1 is ground level, 3 middle and 5 top. Usually the top deck, eastern side has most of the opposition supporters (except the cheersquad bit)
Ta
I'm just stoked we have two zones at the ground! Will be sober this year (determined), and seems like a decent view.

Ta
I'm just stoked we have two zones at the ground! Will be sober this year (determined), and seems like a decent view.
there is no bad view in the ground really. Level 5 IMO is a bit too high unless in the front part but still good, just feels a bit removed. Do see the play unfold well though.

there is no bad view in the ground really. Level 5 IMO is a bit too high unless in the front part but still good, just feels a bit removed. Do see the play unfold well though.
With the clue it's the large stand I can locate and it seems to be level 3, so all good. Was using a Port map and it seems they allocate differently or I'm easily confused.

Back