Will the Best Footballers be selected for Qld U18's

Remove this Banner Ad

You lot seem up to date with whats happening with the State side, I'm a Sandgate follower, how are the 5 boys from the club looking for making final side you think? Luke Reynolds, Tom Overington, Dan Daye, Alex Walker and Curtis Ricker? Luke and Tom both played a lot of senior footy last year, including Pineapple Cup Grand Final. All have been training with club on Thursdays, from all reports they are all good kids, be great to see them progress to State footy!

would be suprised if the gold coast based training squad cut already given the brisbane groups dont seem to have been - indeed not yet had any intrasquad practice matches to this point. Not sure when they start such trials, but presumably final squad wil have to be selected by early april as start playing practice games against TAC cup teams at end April, so the final 2 trial games between bris and gold coast groups will have to be late march / early april presumably

like most years l think the state squad has already been picked kids train for 4 months and those in charge no who they want (maybe a couple of smokies) same every year think most of the kids will come from the under
16s from 2 years ago trialled most of these kids last year.think it would be
good to start who we think will be there.

Reckon if a young fella in Qld had any balls and they felt they were "cut" unfairly from what is a relatively easy squad to make compared to the southern states then they would get on a plane and head to Melbourne or Sth Aust and show people they can play in either of the State comps there. If you can't get a kick in those then no point complaining about "hard luck stories".

Most kids wouldnt get a kick at under 16 level down there

Stop kidding your self qld kids are in a great position low talent pool able to be seen on the big stage!
16 year olds in Vic and SA would walk straight into a Qld 18s team
And for the record life isnt fair they should just grow up and try harder

You lot seem up to date with whats happening with the State side, I'm a Sandgate follower, how are the 5 boys from the club looking for making final side you think? Luke Reynolds, Tom Overington, Dan Daye, Alex Walker and Curtis Ricker? Luke and Tom both played a lot of senior footy last year, including Pineapple Cup Grand Final. All have been training with club on Thursdays, from all reports they are all good kids, be great to see them progress to State footy!

Depends on what they want.......if its stats there after Dan Daye is flying in that area and a smoky but hes still only one sided with skills and will be easily worked out match day with no right leg......Luke is still a probable except he hasnt toed the line and gone to Aspley so could go against him......Tom may struggle with the quality available for the positions he plays and same as Luke not going to Aspley may hurt.......Alex isnt back anywhere near where he was before his injury, and Curtis still has some skill issues but fitness looks great.........but honestly the whole group has been training like crap and none would get selected if they picked a side tommorow

Thats a big call too mate! Reckon Noosa and Sandgate would dispose of the Qld 18's side without trying from 2010.
Honestly, these guys are not playing Div 1 State league because they are now to old and to slow and some not good enough, and rely on the younger kids to do the gut running. So id be confident putting the State U18 side up against either of the sides and win ........

Honestly, these guys are not playing Div 1 State league because they are now to old and to slow and some not good enough, and rely on the younger kids to do the gut running. So id be confident putting the State U18 side up against either of the sides and win ........

Then you don't watch alot of footy Bris boy because last years Qlds 18's side was terrible and Noosa had half a doz blokes who played for Qld Country in 2010! gee whiz, Dickfos would kick 10 against a 17yr old - don't have to be capable of "gut running" when you have a pair of mitts like he does standing in the goal square.
The game would never happen naturally but i would put a gorilla on it for either Noosa or Sandgate to win by 5 goals or more.

Most kids wouldnt get a kick at under 16 level down there

Stop kidding your self qld kids are in a great position low talent pool able to be seen on the big stage!
16 year olds in Vic and SA would walk straight into a Qld 18s team
And for the record life isnt fair they should just grow up and try harder

My point exactly Dumbness - if a kid reckons he's any good, don't bleat about how tough life is here, get on a plane to Melb and show it with your actions. Some kids would be good enough to play VFL but not as many as those that think they could!!

Then you don't watch alot of footy Bris boy because last years Qlds 18's side was terrible and Noosa had half a doz blokes who played for Qld Country in 2010! gee whiz, Dickfos would kick 10 against a 17yr old - don't have to be capable of "gut running" when you have a pair of mitts like he does standing in the goal square.
The game would never happen naturally but i would put a gorilla on it for either Noosa or Sandgate to win by 5 goals or more.
Yea only been playing and watching for about 40 years mate in Vic so I suppose your right Sunny coast is where it all happens.......trick I suppose would be getting the ball to Dickfos to kick that 10 against on paper a pretty good U18 State midfield. And we are not talking about last years U18s that were crap, we probably looking at the U16 side plus some extras from 2 years ago that won there National division......good luck watching your level of footy again this year.......Ill be happy watching the Premier level in Brissy

So the boys that played 16s 2 years will be the champs of tomorrow? It will be interesting to see who stays and goes who has the hunger and who have grown.

Oh yer they have to get along with a new coach
totally different ball game 18s State

As for the four over 18s that they can play, any names?

So the boys that played 16s 2 years will be the champs of tomorrow? It will be interesting to see who stays and goes who has the hunger and who have grown.

Yea to true....hopefully 1 or 2 can make it through........coach from last year must be the one playing a different ball game.....and I have no idea on the 19 yr olds probaly basketballers, or netballers

Going to be interesting to see how many u/18 kids will be left after there
matches with neafl clubs,no some neafl clubs will run out with there full
strenght side,because lack of practice matches such as the 20/20 games,think the ideal of running under 18s up against men is that the only
out come the under 18s is injurys.
imagine knobel up against u/18 ruckman,eagle up against u/18 fullback
and so on ,this kids will get killed

Going to be interesting to see how many u/18 kids will be left after there
matches with neafl clubs,no some neafl clubs will run out with there full
strenght side,because lack of practice matches such as the 20/20 games,think the ideal of running under 18s up against men is that the only
out come the under 18s is injurys.
imagine knobel up against u/18 ruckman,eagle up against u/18 fullback
and so on ,this kids will get killed
maybe this is there way of there first cull.......hope they have some left after the 4 sides play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yea only been playing and watching for about 40 years mate in Vic so I suppose your right Sunny coast is where it all happens.......trick I suppose would be getting the ball to Dickfos to kick that 10 against on paper a pretty good U18 State midfield. And we are not talking about last years U18s that were crap, we probably looking at the U16 side plus some extras from 2 years ago that won there National division......good luck watching your level of footy again this year.......Ill be happy watching the Premier level in Brissy

Oh sorry, thought that commonsense sould have told me that when you were discussing U-18's you might have been talking about the most recent side that represented Qld?? How silly of me.
And yeah, lets predict in March how well this group of boys is going to go at Nationals bc i'm sure not one other State has improved at all in th last 2 years.

watching and playing footy is very different to understanding it.

My two bobs worth......

I would tip a top PHC (a Noosa for example) to beat the state under 18's, largely due to maturity of bodies.

Many of these kids will play higher standard footy than PHC at some point but seriously a big strong 28 year old will beat a 17 year old everyday.

And along the same lines... it is ridiculous that these young boys are playing NEAFL clubs. Whilst I believe the clubs will probably put in some of their younger players against the boys, it neither does the kids any good (and could well cause injury) nor prepares the NEAFL clubs for their season.

It is stoopid.

My two bobs worth......

I would tip a top PHC (a Noosa for example) to beat the state under 18's, largely due to maturity of bodies.

Many of these kids will play higher standard footy than PHC at some point but seriously a big strong 28 year old will beat a 17 year old everyday.

And along the same lines... it is ridiculous that these young boys are playing NEAFL clubs. Whilst I believe the clubs will probably put in some of their younger players against the boys, it neither does the kids any good (and could well cause injury) nor prepares the NEAFL clubs for their season.

It is stoopid.

Exactly Howard - alot of people get carried away with what is for all intensive purposes junior footy still. Doesn't surprise me when many kids don't take that next step into senior footy after being dominant junior players which is why IMO, it is a great grounding for the boys in Sth Aust and WA who play senior footy as 17/18yr olds alot of the time (certainly the better ones do). Is the advantage Qld boys have too over TAC kids and certainly takes some of the guess work away for recruiters.

The major problem is that the gulf between an "academy" program to the under 18's competition is major.
Very few players in the southern states get drafted from senior footy - in fact the vast majority of players are drafted without any senior footy exposure. It is clear that an elite 18's competition needs to be set up asap. It would make sense to align the elite comp with the existing state league clubs who can offer the highest possible player development pathway. The remaining kids that don't make the state league 18's clubs can go to a second tier 18's comp aligned to PC and Div 1 clubs and have a pathway through to seniors at these clubs.
Young players need time to develop and should be able to develop at their own level.
I believe Broadbeach and Aspley are in favour of this and are trying to set something up along these lines. AFLQ could then put more resources into the elite 18's programs and make the state league clubs more accountable to develop players along the same guidelines as the "academies"
Maybe even zone the whole state like SA, WA, Vic etc and have clubs in charge of their area (along with AFLQ) and then there would be strong incentive to develop.

The major problem is that the gulf between an "academy" program to the under 18's competition is major.
Very few players in the southern states get drafted from senior footy - in fact the vast majority of players are drafted without any senior footy exposure. It is clear that an elite 18's competition needs to be set up asap. It would make sense to align the elite comp with the existing state league clubs who can offer the highest possible player development pathway. The remaining kids that don't make the state league 18's clubs can go to a second tier 18's comp aligned to PC and Div 1 clubs and have a pathway through to seniors at these clubs.
Young players need time to develop and should be able to develop at their own level.
I believe Broadbeach and Aspley are in favour of this and are trying to set something up along these lines. AFLQ could then put more resources into the elite 18's programs and make the state league clubs more accountable to develop players along the same guidelines as the "academies"
Maybe even zone the whole state like SA, WA, Vic etc and have clubs in charge of their area (along with AFLQ) and then there would be strong incentive to develop.

Good idea, but some of the concern is regions missing out if they dont have a QAFL affiliate eg. Western corridor and Sunny Coast, this could be worked around though, what is everyones thoughts on something like this

Mt Gravatt,Morningside,Western Maggies (draw on Darling Downs as well),Aspley,Redland,Sun Coast (all suncoast players+ wide bay),Broadbeach,Labrador and Southport - the AFLQ could put there own people in coaching and development positions similair to what they do with CDMs

Won't argue this point but I would be surprised if the best boys in SA and WA aren't playing senior footy to be drafted. I wouldn't have thought the U-18 comps in those States (and especially Tassie) would have allowed for talent scouts to tick a boy off as a potential AFL footballer without seeing them play against men.

Your plan has merit re the 18's and it will be interesteing to see how the 18's slot back into their football clubs this year under the different format.

Cant understand why this doesnt exist now....a comp such as TAC Cup with each club having zones has merit. It would stop the cheque book recruiting of young players in favour of a real development/pathway program.

As always a lot of under 18 talent on show in the pre season comp ( as has been the case in the state champs for nearly a decade )... the challenge for the selectors is to put the right players in the Qld under 18 side. Not sure if they can see the wood for the trees...Good luck to all.

Players and parents if you miss out stay strong, connect to a state league club, stay involved in what is a great game and make a difference to Qld footy over the next decade, in 10 years time these people will be gone have a say!

Life's a Beach, you seem to have an interest in the U18's QLD squad and whether the right players will be selected. Below are the squads for the next two weeks game GC vrs Brisbane, to select the final training squad for QLD.

Wondering if the selectors for the Gold Coast missed anyone or selected players you don't believe should be there.

Cheers

Players selected in the Brisbane Scorpions squad are:-
Chris Murphy, Clay Cameron, Craig Malone, Tyrone Brimble (Mt Gravatt), Jack James, Fraser Thompson, Spencer Greville, Sam Henry, Josh Wagner, Shaun Crook, Aaron Laskey, Daniel Brown (Aspley), Adam Oxley, Alex Sexton (Redland), Jesse Wallin, Brian Coleman-Broome, Peter Yagmoor, Jackson Allen, Jock Oates, Josh Smith, Lachlan Russ, Jackson Starcevich (Morningside), Lachlan Woods-Honour, Alex Dickfos, Tim Colburn (Western Magpies), Luke Reynolds (Sandgate), Jono Freeman (Noosa), Sam Panoho (Caloundra), Sam Cabrera (Rookie - no club).

The Gold Coast Scorpions Squad is:-
Sam Michael (Redland via Cairns), Luke Chitty (Morningside via Cairns), Henry Joyce (Morningside - via Townsville), Jermaine Wardle (Cairns), Nabako Stow (Mackay), Darcy Payne, Chris Foura, James Royes (Capricornia), Brody Haberfield (Surfers Paradise), Andrew Boston, Kieron Brennan, Tom Davidson, Josh Kolka, Jackson Rolfe, Jamie Skennar, Will Wolbers (Broadbeach), Ryan Maetem, Ryder Court, Mitch Hopkins, Nathan Sharp, Dalton Tucker, Fraser Thurlow (Southport), Tom Fields, Jake Jones (Labrador), Connor Manning (Rookie - no club).
Note: Daniel Hunt (Capricornia) will be considered when fit.

Wondering if the selectors for the Gold Coast missed anyone or selected players you don't believe should be there.

Saw the squads,there is nothing to be gained by naming players either to be in or not,they are just young men making there way in a tough world,all the players need to be supported whether they were selected or not, it is not in their control.If they did not make it connect to a state league club their real football career is just beginning and they just need to be the best footballer they can be.The NEAFL will offer the chance to prove who is right.:)

It is the system that needs to be under scrutiny, if it has improved then time will tell, the exit interviews will need to have genuine integrity and they are the crucial point for the credibility of selection but if there are independent people with football acumen present (and no outside agenda) they should work.

Thought though 16 genuine footballers was a light number for the coast.

Saw the squads,there is nothing to be gained by naming players either to be in or not,they are just young men making there way in a tough world,all the players need to be supported whether they were selected or not, it is not in their control.If they did not make it connect to a state league club their real football career is just beginning and they just need to be the best footballer they can be.The NEAFL will offer the chance to prove who is right.:)

It is the system that needs to be under scrutiny, if it has improved then time will tell, the exit interviews will need to have genuine integrity and they are the crucial point for the credibility of selection but if there are independent people with football acumen present (and no outside agenda) they should work.

Thought though 16 genuine footballers was a light number for the coast.
Agree with your comments not naming players.......and totally agree a broom should be put through Qld development.......you only have to look at the hastly put together programme they ran with, and the dodgy strength and conditioning experts they employed to realise the place is either on a very tight budget and cheapest is the only way they could go, or there some people in there that have no idea......i think both. I hope none of the 90+ players suffer serious injuries through the training programme they ran with........

Remove this Banner Ad

Will the Best Footballers be selected for Qld U18's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back