Will the Best Footballers be selected for Qld U18's

Remove this Banner Ad

apparently a new boy started in the academy 2 days before they cut the squad.........indigenous lad with a rugby background..........hes still there and cant kick a footy.

Pretty quiet on the 18's front. Does anyone know who is left in the squad/s and when the final squad is picked?

As i understand it - Brisbane squad still has about 35 in it - training 2 - 3 times per week (inc gym sessions) plus once with their clubs at present- practice game against Neafl reserves team early march - presumably cuts before and after that to get to final 25. Gold Coast internal trial game as well - something like coast vrs country boys from GC zone - then pick their best 25. Two squads then play against each other - two games over two weekends at end March - state squad selected after that. Can't tell u specifics of who's been cut from the original training lists from each squad.

As i understand it - Brisbane squad still has about 35 in it - training 2 - 3 times per week (inc gym sessions) plus once with their clubs at present- practice game against Neafl reserves team early march - presumably cuts before and after that to get to final 25. Gold Coast internal trial game as well - something like coast vrs country boys from GC zone - then pick their best 25. Two squads then play against each other - two games over two weekends at end March - state squad selected after that. Can't tell u specifics of who's been cut from the original training lists from each squad.
saw most of the games on sat and the only academy kid that stood out was Overington in the Vultures seniors...........

saw most of the games on sat and the only academy kid that stood out was Overington in the Vultures seniors...........
Hard to get too much out of the weekend from the games I saw (admittedly only those later in day) - a few played seniors (presumably some for the first time), a fair few in the morningside / aspley reserves game but played in very wet conditions. Seemed most of the 17 year olds played in lions reserves with only 4 lions (rookies) in the team as i understand it. several of the squad wernt playing at all it seemed. Thought Johnson did OK for his first game in Morningside seniors? Did Cameron play for Mt Gravatt?

Hard to get too much out of the weekend from the games I saw (admittedly only those later in day) - a few played seniors (presumably some for the first time), a fair few in the morningside / aspley reserves game but played in very wet conditions. Seemed most of the 17 year olds played in lions reserves with only 4 lions (rookies) in the team as i understand it. several of the squad wernt playing at all it seemed. Thought Johnson did OK for his first game in Morningside seniors? Did Cameron play for Mt Gravatt?
Lion cubs definately got muscled and not really any standout cubs, or any of the other Academy boys...........the best academy 3k runner got carved up when it came to playing football. Didnt notice Cameron, but does he need to play anyway? Whos Johnson?

Lion cubs definately got muscled and not really any standout cubs, or any of the other Academy boys...........the best academy 3k runner got carved up when it came to playing football. Didnt notice Cameron, but does he need to play anyway? Whos Johnson?
Ryan Johnston -turns 19 later in year - played under 18's last year, (state 16's year before) first senior game on weekend. Still in Brisbane training squad as one of several overagers - was not thinking of him in final Qld squad (not sure what the plan is with overagers - still several I'm training squad it seems) but thought did ok in first senior game so never know. Saw him, Bain, Ives, Wyld involved in senior games on Sun as well as overington. Boston there but not playing for broadbeach.

Don't think any of the AIS boys played? Suspect get told when can and cant play? If what happened with sexton last year any indication, after state 18's committments Cameron and Bourke may end up playing more games for suns reserves than for their own NEAFL teams anyway?

Will see who plays this weekend. Even though Brisbane v Gold Coast squad games coming up are 'selection games' I'm sure showing you can play in seniors, even if only in practice games, must help the cause of boys on the fringe of selection. Wouldn't expect most of them to have a big impact in first couple of senior games, but good to see who looks like they can compete at that level eg Boston at end of last year. As first two state games vrs WA and Vic country...

didnt notice him on the weekend playing with Aspley Morningside or Vultures assuming he will play NEAFL.

Actually was told he will play for Noosa seniors mate so my mistake. As a 17yr old I'm not sure the powers are as concerned as they are for a boy at draftable age to play NEAFL. The amount of travelling, especially if the kid is in Yr 12, is incredibly high and as long as they are playing under a decent coach (Noosa has a few I think) then generally the Academy are happy.

Ryan Johnston -turns 19 later in year - played under 18's last year, (state 16's year before) first senior game on weekend. Still in Brisbane training squad as one of several overagers - was not thinking of him in final Qld squad (not sure what the plan is with overagers - still several I'm training squad it seems) but thought did ok in first senior game so never know. Saw him, Bain, Ives, Wyld involved in senior games on Sun as well as overington. Boston there but not playing for broadbeach.

Don't think any of the AIS boys played? Suspect get told when can and cant play? If what happened with sexton last year any indication, after state 18's committments Cameron and Bourke may end up playing more games for suns reserves than for their own NEAFL teams anyway?

Will see who plays this weekend. Even though Brisbane v Gold Coast squad games coming up are 'selection games' I'm sure showing you can play in seniors, even if only in practice games, must help the cause of boys on the fringe of selection. Wouldn't expect most of them to have a big impact in first couple of senior games, but good to see who looks like they can compete at that level eg Boston at end of last year. As first two state games vrs WA and Vic country...

Majority of quality/certainties will be playing club this weekend rest will be tried out to see how they go. Suppose any injured players coming back will also get a run. Heard the GC squad have around max 3 quality players in there squad plus 2 reasonable rookie talls. That will be an interesting hit out against even whats left in the Lions squad

Don't think any GC Academy players are allowed to play NEAFL/Seniors at this stage.

There is an intra game this wednesday. Have been told about 6/7 GC players are in line for state selection.

Don't think any GC Academy players are allowed to play NEAFL/Seniors at this stage.

There is an intra game this wednesday. Have been told about 6/7 GC players are in line for state selection.

6/7 GC players will def make a mock of the system.........Haberfield, Boston Davidson, are the only quality kids at the GC, rumour has it some new unheard of Cairns kids have been promised State selection probably to beef up the AFLs advertising up that way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6/7 GC players will def make a mock of the system.........Haberfield, Boston Davidson, are the only quality kids at the GC, rumour has it some new unheard of Cairns kids have been promised State selection probably to beef up the AFLs advertising up that way

Don't forget Brennan and Bull. Two talls both around the 2m mark ! Good ruck coach required and they're flying ! Both played before.:footy:

I see a new 18's comp structure been announced. What do you all think about it? I think it will be great in terms of 18's playing prior to reserves and making it a day of senior footy. How will it affect things for the clubs in Pineapple Cup, will more kids want to leave to play under NEAFL banner?

Alot of PHC clubs unhappy about it Megaman for the obvious reason that it appears that the NEAFL sides would be of a higher standard than the PHC sides and good PHC sides want to compete against the best sides - its not necessarily the case of course as Sandgate showed last year and Noosa the year prior to this.
I know Maroochy will put out a very competitive side this year - would be a good idea to have the 2 premiers play off at the seasons end IMO.

In due course think it makes sense though as it requires less travelling which is a big hurdle for kids this age.

I see a new 18's comp structure been announced. What do you all think about it? I think it will be great in terms of 18's playing prior to reserves and making it a day of senior footy. How will it affect things for the clubs in Pineapple Cup, will more kids want to leave to play under NEAFL banner?
It's sounds great in theory but the league have not reflected this new philosophy in the fixture at all! Just looked at the first 10 rounds and the 18's all play at 2:30pm on a Sun. Not 1 game scheduled on the same day prior to the ressies or seniors. So much for community footy, sounding like complete BS:confused:

It's sounds great in theory but the league have not reflected this new philosophy in the fixture at all! Just looked at the first 10 rounds and the 18's all play at 2:30pm on a Sun. Not 1 game scheduled on the same day prior to the ressies or seniors. So much for community footy, sounding like complete BS:confused:

I think the clubs may have been told if they can arrange for their own official umpire they can play Sat mornings. Think Sunday may be more to do with lack of umpires?

Anyone see the gold coast academy country vrs metro trialgame this weekend? Who played well and have they selected there 25 for games against Brisbane squad next 2 weekends as yet? Interesting that brisbane boys have been playing in club practice matches last couple weeks but gold coast boys not allowed to?

Anyone see the gold coast academy country vrs metro trialgame this weekend? Who played well and have they selected there 25 for games against Brisbane squad next 2 weekends as yet? Interesting that brisbane boys have been playing in club practice matches last couple weeks but gold coast boys not allowed to?

Wouldnt be supprised if most of Brisbane boys that get selected to play seniors will play senior club. GC side up on the AFLQ web site and apart from a few most wouldnt get a look in the Brisbane side. Word has it that a few of the Cairns boys are on a promise so they would relocate

Wouldnt be supprised if most of Brisbane boys that get selected to play seniors will play senior club. GC side up on the AFLQ web site and apart from a few most wouldnt get a look in the Brisbane side. Word has it that a few of the Cairns boys are on a promise so they would relocate
Although several Brisbane boys have played games in seniors over last few weeks in practice games (while coast boys not permitted to by gc academy?) would have thought if they want to be considered for state selection would have to play in academy games next 2 weeks - my impression was clubs assuming they are unavailable to them next 2 weeks. After that those not in final state squad back to clubs full time , and those in squad available for club selection April and first half may till games against tac cup teams start? (unless lions and gc want to use some of them as top up players - not sure about the rules for this in 2012 (magpies boys vrs academy boys) but some have been used by lions in practice games last couple weeks)

Hopefully cairns boys promised gc academy spots only and not state selection.....

I am sure they said that last year and then the Gold Coast side nearly defeated Brisbane. Is that correct?

It seems that clearly the Brisbane side has more strength but to suggest that only a couple of the GC boys would make the Brisbane team is presumptuous. A couple of the GC boys played a senior GF for Palmy last year as 16 year olds and who really knows about the Nth QLD guys- they could be guns.

It is a bit cynical to suggest the Cairns guys are only down here as a PR exercise- to me it stands to reason that a couple of the states best 30 would be from country areas (as they are in every state). By the way, I have no association with Cairns footy, no idea who we are talking about- I just know that country areas have a history of producing sportsmen.

I am sure they said that last year and then the Gold Coast side nearly defeated Brisbane. Is that correct?

It seems that clearly the Brisbane side has more strength but to suggest that only a couple of the GC boys would make the Brisbane team is presumptuous. A couple of the GC boys played a senior GF for Palmy last year as 16 year olds and who really knows about the Nth QLD guys- they could be guns.

It is a bit cynical to suggest the Cairns guys are only down here as a PR exercise- to me it stands to reason that a couple of the states best 30 would be from country areas (as they are in every state). By the way, I have no association with Cairns footy, no idea who we are talking about- I just know that country areas have a history of producing sportsmen.
Country does without a doupt produce some great sportsmen..........can also say that some of the delisted boys that Ive heard about are still among the top 30 in there age group, if we are talking about 17 and 19 year olds in the squads. Some of the GC boys you are referring to would be in the few for sure. Will be interesting to see the 2 GC talls again and if they have improved in there footy journey and recovered fully from injuries.........as for the top end cairns lads I hope they perform, for AFLQ sake. AS the thread says from past history, Will the best footballers be selected for Qld U18s. We will soon find out if they do as they normally do, and think only of 1 or 2 players for draft, or pick a team to win, and give more an opportunity to be drafted

Remove this Banner Ad

Will the Best Footballers be selected for Qld U18's

Remove this Banner Ad

Back