Will the Lions be able to field a team in 2011?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparantley Mitch Clark wants out now, to Fremantle. Who the **** will they have left? X Clarke and Raines must be counting their blessings this off season!

:rolleyes:

Well you see it works like this.

If a good youngish player wants to leave (especially if he has a one year remaining on his contract), then usually what happens is that the club that has him negotiates with a club (or clubs) that want him and either draft picks or players are exchanged. Those draft picks are then mostly used in the National Draft and the player's original club picks up a new (usually younger) player. Generally most draftees of them have two arms and two legs and most can usually play footy too!

This in turns means that each club will have a compulsory 38 players on their senior list, of which 22 will be selected in the club's senior team each week of the season.

Just to let you know...
- Michael Rischitelli already replaced by end of first round draft pick.
- Jared Brennan most likely replaced by Top Ten Draft Pick
- Justin Sherman most likely replaced by second round Draft pick or player
- Mitch Clark - unlikely to be traded, but if he is, then likely Top Ten Draft Pick, and/or a player. If goes to GWS in 2012, then most likely replaced by end of first round draft pick.

See how it works?

So it's very possible the Lions will be able to field a team in 2011.

But stay tuned. If the Lions end up with only 21 players in total on their senior list, get back to me.

Well you see it works like this.

If a good youngish player wants to leave (especially if he has a one year remaining on his contract), then usually what happens is that the club that has him negotiates with a club (or clubs) that want him and either draft picks or players are exchanged. Those draft picks are then mostly used in the National Draft and the player's original club picks up a new (usually younger) player. Generally most draftees of them have two arms and two legs and most can usually play footy too!

This in turns means that each club will have a compulsory 38 players on their senior list, of which 22 will be selected in the club's senior team each week of the season.

Just to let you know...
- Mitch Clark - unlikely to be traded, but if he is, then likely Top Ten Draft Pick, and/or a player. If goes to GWS in 2012, then most likely replaced by end of first round draft pick.

See how it works?

So it's very possible the Lions will be able to field a team in 2011.

But stay tuned. If the Lions end up with only 21 players in total on their senior list, get back to me.

He was referring to the obvious lack of quality as opposed to actual numbers.

But you basically right about 1 thing, good players are generally replaced by lesser players in the draft. Take Judd/Masten as an obvious example.

He was referring to the obvious lack of quality as opposed to actual numbers.

My guess is the Lions will be able to pick up some quality young players with three picks in the top dozen, if Clark and Brennan go in the upcoming trade period. The sky isn't falling.

But you basically right about 1 thing, good players are generally replaced by lesser players in the draft. Take Judd/Masten as an obvious example.

Short term...quite possible. I'm yet to see any player of the quality of Judd leave the Lions though. Brennan, Rischitelli and Sherman are all that are confirmed at the moment. In an ideal world, I'd like to keep the first two, but their leaving isn't a disaster and the Lions will receive first round draft picks for them. Geelong have lost their best player and their coach in the space of a couple of days and no doubt there will be a few retirements on top of that as well. The sky isn't falling there either.

Just to let you know...

lolwut.jpg

umad.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahh Jack. Unrealistic is it?

Perhaps you should read the following article. Granted Andrew Hamilton isn't the most reliable of journalists, but its looking increasingly likely Brennan is off to the Gold Coast.

Link

Same report in the Herald Sun.

And as for Clark? Given that he has a year to go on his contract, he won't be going anywhere for anything less than a Top Ten draft pick, no matter where he says he wants to go. And if he goes in this trade period, it won't be to Fremantle, unless they can negotiate a three way trade that will satisfy Brisbane. Their existing first rounder won't be enough. West Coast on the other hand.....?

And as for Clark? Given that he has a year to go on his contract, he won't be going anywhere for anything less than a Top Ten draft pick, no matter where he says he wants to go. And if he goes in this trade period,

You seem to be missing the point by a good long way, laddie.

If you can stop the rats from getting off the sinking ship, that doesn't mean you aren't about to drown.....

You seem to be missing the point by a good long way, laddie.

I don't think so, old son. Whoever of value the Lions lose, they'll be compensated either through the trade system or by the AFL compensatory trade system. That's Brennan, Rischitelli and Sherman.

If you can stop the rats from getting off the sinking ship, that doesn't mean you aren't about to drown.....

Whatever rats get off the ship, others will come on.

Clark is contracted for another year. He won't be going for anything less than a Top Ten pick, this trading period. Let's see what happens at the end of his contract...at the end of 2011. And if then Rischitelli's compensation pick is a end of first round, then Clark's will be as well. At the very least.

I don't think so, old son. Whoever of value the Lions lose, they'll be compensated either through the trade system or by the AFL compensatory trade system.

Are you being deliberately dense?

When you lose effective management and thenceforth lose unity, credibility and the support of the players; compensatory draft picks don't actually help the problem. At all.

Nice glass half full self deception though. Kudos.

Are you being deliberately dense?

When you lose effective management and thenceforth lose unity, credibility and the support of the players; compensatory draft picks don't actually help the problem. At all.

Nice glass half full self deception though. Kudos.

Oh please. Do you think I'm totally unaware of what's going on at my own club? Some of us do talk to people connected and involved with the club you know.

Despite the continual "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" claims that opposition supporters love to spout when talking about the Lions, I can assure you matters aren't as grim as some of you would love to believe.

In the end I was responding to the OP with my comments. The Lions will field a reasonably talented team in 2011 and given a good run with injuries will be competitive. And whoever ends up going (only Brennan, Rischitelli and Sherman), the Lions will be well compensated with some talented young players.

No. You'll have some good young players, yeah, and this might be a 'one step forward two steps back' type thing which will benefit you 5 years down the track, but Brisbane will be horrible next year. Gold Coast is your only chance of avoiding the spoon. Kids don't win you games, experience does. Just look at what happened to Adelaide and Essendon this year. With Brennan and Riska definitely gone, you're left with about 14 decent to good senior players. It'll be 12 if Clark and Shermo leave as well. Basically, you're screwed.

Oh please. Do you think I'm totally unaware of what's going on at my own club? Some of us do talk to people connected and involved with the club you know.

Despite the continual "the sky is falling, the sky is falling" claims that opposition supporters love to spout when talking about the Lions, I can assure you matters aren't as grim as some of you would love to believe.

In the end I was responding to the OP with my comments. The Lions will field a reasonably talented team in 2011 and given a good run with injuries will be competitive. And whoever ends up going (only Brennan, Rischitelli and Sherman), the Lions will be well compensated with some talented young players.

Do you know if Clark wants to leave the Lions specifically, or if he just wants to head back to WA?

One of the compensation picks from the Ablett defection would be worth pick 7 to the Lions in this draft, think that'd get it done if Clark can be convinced to join the Cats?

He's a WA boy and want's to go to Freo. Considering how shit the Eagles are, I think he just want's to go home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Will the Lions be able to field a team in 2011?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back