Will there ever be a game where the sub is not used?

Remove this Banner Ad

I distinctly remember Robert Shaw leaving Brett Chalmers on the bench for the entire game in '95 or '96 sometime and Adelaide got rolled (can't remember who against) -

So it used to happen.... even if they weren't the 'sub' per se

I still don't see a scenario in which the fresh substitute would be a downgrade from the fatigued 20-21 player in the side on the day. I remember Geelong games where they've made a baffling choice for the sub (e.g. Mitch Brown on a wet Easter Monday against Hawthorn), but as teams get better at it, I can see more Gia/Chapman/Goodes types getting the green vest on a semi-permanent basis: undoubtedly valuable players, who will add something when they come on and can play a few different roles, but need to be managed in the twilight of their careers.

I didnt say it was likely but it was possibly. If 2 was playing 3 for a guaranteed home final and one team had 21 fit experienced premiership players but no depth due to injury and selected a first gamer.....and the margin of the game never moved from a kick in it....the coach may decide that this in not the sort of game to sub off a proven big game performer to bring on a kid.

Taylor Garner got about 3-5 minutes in an extremely tight game at Adelaide, when finals were on the line, in his debut. When we were surging back from about 5 goals down.

Would be the closest.

Another question to ponder; if a player is named as a sub and not used, does that game count to their game tally, considering they hadn't actually taken to the field?

Brad Scott seemed to forget Taylor Garner existed.
In fairness, who the hell is Taylor Garner? ;)

Poor kid in his first game gets thrown to the wolves with minutes remaining, has one bad deer in the headlights moment and finishes with zero disposals.

Bet he'll be thanking brad scott when he looks back on it.

I distinctly remember Robert Shaw leaving Brett Chalmers on the bench for the entire game in '95 or '96 sometime and Adelaide got rolled (can't remember who against) -

So it used to happen.... even if they weren't the 'sub' per se
http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/B/Brett_Chalmers.html
Having a look at Chalmers' career, it looks like he had a fair few games where he was either barely used or barely fired a shot. I mean, over a 75 game career over six seasons, he had six games where he didn't even get a touch, and 18 other games where he had either one or two disposals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah the old Lucas Herbert scenario......I can actually see this happening. If the cap is low enough and the game has a lack of stoppages in an end to end style game (stoppages are where the bulk of the changes can be made easily) and with changes well and truly in the bank for later in the game there would be no difference in using normal interchanges as opposed to using a totally fresh player.

For the sake of context, The NRL (who have 10 changes a game) often has players on their 4 man bench not get a run at all. There have even been at least 4 occasions since interchange (as opposed to replacements) was introduced in State of Origin where bench players haven't got a run (3 times for NSW including the first game this year, once for Queensland).

Remove this Banner Ad

Will there ever be a game where the sub is not used?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back