Will we ever see another "legendary" coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sure Jock McHale and Norm Smith never had a premiership player walk away from the game in all their time coaching.
Maybe because they were good coaches? There was a pretty strained relationship between the other Ablett and Bomber as well. Maybe if he wasn't a shitty coach Ablett would have stayed and won more premierships.

Is Allan Jeans any less legendary, because his great Hawthorn teams didn't miss a beat under Alan Joyce? What about John Kennedy and David Parkin? Tom Hafey and Tony Jewell? Parkin and Robert Walls?
Are you a million years old? I don't even know who John Kennedy is.

The coach who developed and nurtured the team to become a powerhouse always gets a ton of credit, compared to the guy who inherited the same team and managed to jag one or two more flags. And rightly so.
Anyone could have got that Geelong team a premiership. Bomber had an amazing team and got 2 premierships. Should have got 3. If he's so good let's see how he does with the team he ditched Geelong for. As you say if he was so smart he wouldn't have left in 2010. But he's not smart. so...

Maybe because they were good coaches? There was a pretty strained relationship between the other Ablett and Bomber as well. Maybe if he wasn't a shitty coach Ablett would have stayed and won more premierships.

You clearly don't even have the most basic understanding of Nathan Ablett's background. And it was a sarcastic reference. Both McHale and Smith had multiple premiership players who left the club (and the VFL) on less career games than Nathan Ablett.

Are you a million years old? I don't even know who John Kennedy is.

Great argument. Hint: he coached against both the players that make up your username. Only the most important person in the history of the Hawthorn Football Club. It's not his or my fault that you don't know who he is.

Anyone could have got that Geelong team a premiership. Bomber had an amazing team and got 2 premierships. Should have got 3.

What did he inherit? An utter, utter rabble. He either gets credit for leading Geelong to three straight grand finals and two premierships, for building such a dominant force from scratch (as has been mentioned, five Geelong premiership players pre-dated Thompson and, of those, only Steven King and Darren Milburn were regulars before he got there), or both. Most people would rightly give him credit for both.

And I'm sure you didn't give St Kilda a chance going into the 2009 grand final, right? Because, if you did, how do you come up with 'should have got 3' premierships?

If he's so good let's see how he does with the team he ditched Geelong for.

How has Malthouse gone for Carlton? How did Jeans go at Richmond? How did Hafey go with Geelong? How did Smith go with South Melbourne? How did Pagan go for Carlton? How did Blight go with St Kilda? How did Sheedy go with GWS? How did Barassi go with Melbourne?

As you say if he was so smart he wouldn't have left in 2010. But he's not smart. so...

Ah, so you're trolling. Fair enough, then.

You clearly don't even have the most basic understanding of Nathan Ablett's background. And it was a sarcastic reference. Both McHale and Smith had multiple premiership players who left the club (and the VFL) on less career games than Nathan Ablett.
Please tell me more about Nathan Abletts background, it's really interesting. And this doesn't address my comment re: Ablett Jnr leaving because Bomber is a dick but how about you just crap on more about old people I've never heard about, that would be great thanks.

John Kennedy... Only the most important person in the history of the Hawthorn Football Club. It's not his or my fault that you don't know who he is.
Wow, more important than Kennett and Dunstall and that guy with the shit haircut and really good teeth? What about that guy who is old and stopped Hawthorn merging with Melbourne? What about Jeans- he scored 3 premierships. That's good coaching.

What did he inherit? An utter, utter rabble. He either gets credit for leading Geelong to three straight grand finals and two premierships, for building such a dominant force from scratch (as has been mentioned, five Geelong premiership players pre-dated Thompson and, of those, only Steven King and Darren Milburn were regulars before he got there), or both. Most people would rightly give him credit for both.
Both what? Is this English? I don't care what Bomber inherited. They recruited really well and were gifted some wonderful father-son players. Jesus. Do you even watch football?

And I'm sure you didn't give St Kilda a chance going into the 2009 grand final, right? Because, if you did, how do you come up with 'should have got 3' premierships?
WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT NOW. Bomber should have got a premiership against Hawthorn in 2008. Along with 2007 and 2009, that makes three premierships..?

How has Malthouse gone for Carlton?
Won a final in his only completed season..?
How did Jeans go at Richmond? How did Hafey go with Geelong? How did Smith go with South Melbourne?
LOL there's no team called South Melbourne dude, are you tripping? or is that some VFL shit? Anyway as for the other guys i wasn't born then, so I don't know/care
How did Pagan go for Carlton?
Not bad, given the salary cap thing
How did Blight go with St Kilda?
Don't know, st Kilda were a total rabble on and off the field, don't think he really got a chance to shine.
How did Sheedy go with GWS?
Pretty good.
How did Barassi go with Melbourne?
Don't know.

Anyway... WHY ARE YOU ASKING ME ALL THESE SHITTY QUESTIONS?

Wow, more important than Kennett and Dunstall and that guy with the shit haircut and really good teeth? What about that guy who is old and stopped Hawthorn merging with Melbourne? What about Jeans- he scored 3 premierships. That's good coaching.
Yes.
He coached the Hawks to their first ever premiership. He then subsequently coached them to an additional two premierships, for three in total (61, 71 and 76).
The people you listed above are also important to the club, very much so. But there is a reason we have a statue of the great John Kennedy Snr overlooking Waverley Park.

'That old guy' you're referring to, by the way, I imagine is Don Scott. Or Ian Dicker. Both important also.

Kennett would like to think he is the most important thing, I'm sure, but we'd disagree :D

We automatically look backwards when discussing 'legends', which disqualifies for many of us, any current coach. But history often overlooks things like the quality of the team, or excuses the odd poor performance. I think Malthouse might be seen more favourably in years to come, Clarkson needs another flag to overcome the fall from grace Hawthorn suffered after 2008, Bomber not so much, a rookie coach stepped into his position with a weaker team and took them to a flag. Richardson just needs one to become legendary! :)

We automatically look backwards when discussing 'legends', which disqualifies for many of us, any current coach. But history often overlooks things like the quality of the team, or excuses the odd poor performance. I think Malthouse might be seen more favourably in years to come, Clarkson needs another flag to overcome the fall from grace Hawthorn suffered after 2008, Bomber not so much, a rookie coach stepped into his position with a weaker team and took them to a flag. Richardson just needs one to become legendary! :)

Clarkson I imagine is already seen as legendary. I agree on Malthouse though; any coach who is able to win the flag at different clubs has to be seen as amazing and in a generation or two when the whole fiasco involving him is over, he will be looked at as a great coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardwick is the longest serving coach to never win a final. Maybe not legendary, but he'll be remembered.

He really won't. In generations time, Hardwick will only be remembered by the most informative supporters and thats it. Players are much the same; only the truly legendary players are remembered by most, its only diehard supporters that remember the rest. If Hardwick doesn't get Richmond to a GF, his name will eventually fade into obscurity.

He really won't. In generations time, Hardwick will only be remembered by the most informative supporters and thats it. Players are much the same; only the truly legendary players are remembered by most, its only diehard supporters that remember the rest. If Hardwick doesn't get Richmond to a GF, his name will eventually fade into obscurity.

The things with records are, well they get recorded!!!

Why does Clarkson need to go to another club? It's about coping in different eras. If you can reinvent yourself over and over again at the same club without a break, I respect that more than if you can take time off and get a fresh start elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Will we ever see another "legendary" coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back