Player Watch Willie Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on this vision his hand/arm hits the left shoulder?

Glances the chin and then hits the shoulder.

I don't think there's any confusion that he actually hit him. The reaction does look a bit odd and delayed but he definitely got clocked.

What I don't agree with is it being rated as severe.

Except in the case of Ryan Burton who got 2 weeks for a tackle where the guy got straight up, kicked a goal and played the rest of the game. Where was the discussion about level of injury there?

He got 2 weeks because of a reckless sling tackle that didn't cause concussion. The Richmond player that did the same tackle but concussed the crows player received 4 weeks.

He got 2 weeks because of a reckless sling tackle that didn't cause concussion. The Richmond player that did the same tackle but concussed the crows player received 4 weeks.
Mate if you think they are the same tackle I don’t think this discussion is going to go anywhere. One was a pick up and dump after rotating him 360 degrees over the boundary line. One was taking a guy to ground where if he didn’t he would have gotten a shot on goal off.

Mate if you think they are the same tackle I don’t think this discussion is going to go anywhere. One was a pick up and dump after rotating him 360 degrees over the boundary line. One was taking a guy to ground where if he didn’t he would have gotten a shot on goal off.

You'd have to be living under a rock to not understand how the AFL now views and punishes reckless incidents that result in concussion.

You'd have to be living under a rock to not understand how the AFL now views and punishes reckless incidents that result in concussion.
I do understand, and I can see how Rioli gets suspended even though I don’t agree with it. But severe impact just doesn’t pass the eye test in this instance. Not when compared to other incidents this year. It can’t always be outcome based when there is no intent there.

Fight Pain GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rioli is going to get 3 weeks because Ridley is concussion prone, basically.

There would have been 50 incidents in that game where more forceful contact was made to someone's head without a concussion. Our best bet to argue is that it wasn't a strike, just an unfortunate football collision.

Wasn't bumping, wasn't striking, was running between 2 players, arguably bounced off Finlayson and his trailing arm incidentally clipped Ridley.

Even if you say a trailing arm is a strike, severe impact is an absolutely insane grading given what actually occurred. We should be fighting it both on the fact that it was a strike at all, and then also the severity.

Ther is no doubt he clips him. But that contact is not enough to concuss a butterfly! I reckon the violent swing around is a clear dive by the player, who then gives himself concussion when his chin hits the ground!

That's how it looks to me. It's the only thing that explains all the strange elements of this.

Last edited:
Its not overly reckless, its not malicious, its not a huge impact, its an unlucky incident for both players (and for some perspective its more unlucky for Ridley than Rioli).

But as unfortunate as it is, you concuss someone off the ball with high contact you're getting weeks, because concussion has to be stamped out. 3 is about right.

Its just the game now. If Shiel or Butters had been unlucky with their bumps they would have been getting weeks too. Its not about intent or action, its about outcome.

M
This explains it better. Arguably Ridley shouldnt be playing footy for his own protection. Gets concussed extremely easily:

Hardly anything in that either?

How does the AFL deal with easy concussions? I mean should players be putting themselves out there?

M

Hardly anything in that either?

How does the AFL deal with easy concussions? I mean should players be putting themselves out there?
Yep Ridley seems to have serious problems. Feel bad for him as have always liked him as a player.

Also on another note, another issue here is Finlayson actually changes Riolis path.

But as unfortunate as it is, you concuss someone off the ball with high contact you're getting weeks, because concussion has to be stamped out. 3 is about right.

What exactly is it that's being 'stamped out' in this instance?
What behaviour is being punished?
What does Rioli learn from this?

There's nothing they can point to except accidental contact with another players face that caused concussion. Even that's being generous because the secondary impact his face has with the ground is a much more likely cause of his concussion, but it's not even being discussed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Willie Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Back