Player Watch Willie Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Like no doubt many I have looked at the footage of the Rioli/Ridley incident multiple times, and as others have suggested Ridley's response to the contact was a fraction delayed, and then for whatever reason it became bizarrely theatrical.

There was no apparent malice shown by Rioli and the contact appeared to be made with an unbraced arm and the back of his open hand, which could suggest Ridley came into the game with a previous issue (possibly undiagnosed), or has a jaw that is so fragile he probably shouldn't be playing any form of contact sport.

It will be interesting to hear Ridley's memory of the incident and his club's medical report, as I suspect whatever is said will be the difference between a suspension of 1-2 games, or as many as 4.

Hardly anything in that either?

How does the AFL deal with easy concussions? I mean should players be putting themselves out there?

The harsh fact is that the AFL doesn't want to 'fix' the concussion issues, they just need to show that they have punishments in place for players that 'cause' concussion.

It's really only about limiting their legal culpability in the future.

What exactly is it that's being 'stamped out' in this instance?
What behaviour is being punished?
What does Rioli learn from this?

There's nothing they can point to except accidental contact with another players face that caused concussion. Even that's being generous because the secondary impact his face has with the ground is a much more likely cause of his concussion, but it's not even being discussed.
Nothing, thats what Im saying.

Rioli is unfortunate collateral in the application.

Sorry for the intrusion, watching the game tonight and speaking from watching him play since 2018, this is who he is, it's no coincidence that his best year was our premiership year and half of 2019. When the team's up and about he's outstanding. When the team isn't going good he's invisible. It's just how it is, ya'll will go on a run at some point in the year and he'll look great.
He's been consistent all year and he's playing a role. Back your steaming pile of shit tanking board.

They're still going.
Absolute filth. View attachment 1682551
Outside of anything else, do these morons not have eyes? So Ridley is basically gets KOd at a slight breeze ruffling his hair. Similar to McCartin who KOd himself on a blade of grass. Awesome.

You would hope that the tribunal sees a significant differnet betwewen choosing to bump and collecting someone with a shoulder, and the accidental clip of a trailing hand, but its pretty clear that the whole tribunal system is currently very broken and running scared regarding head injuries so I hold little hope.

Outside of anything else, do these morons not have eyes? So Ridley is basically gets KOd at a slight breeze ruffling his hair. Similar to McCartin who KOd himself on a blade of grass. Awesome.

How anyone can watch that footage and think that it's an elbow is beyond me.

If it was a deliberate elbow, his head would have moved backwards.
If it was an accidental glance from an elbow, his head would have moved to the left.

It is clearly just the back of his hand glancing his jaw as Rioli moves across.

How anyone can watch that footage and think that it's an elbow is beyond me.

If it was a deliberate elbow, his head would have moved backwards.
If it was an accidental glance from an elbow, his head would have moved to the left.

It is clearly just the back of his hand glancing his jaw as Rioli moves across.

Also, how do you elbow someone with a straight arm?

95FAF1B2-6594-480E-AE5E-4FA3F7B74918.jpeg

AF3C2725-C82B-4BBB-8D6A-2DF73411C9C1.jpeg

This explains it better. Arguably Ridley shouldnt be playing footy for his own protection. Gets concussed extremely easily:

So how many weeks did Hipwood get?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My lord, head knocks are never good but the fact of the matter is in the AFL you will take some knocks to the head. Both the Rioli and the Hipwood ones are nowhere near what you would expect to cause concussion. At the risk of opening a can of worms, PAFC should ask for an examination of Ridley given the history. Bombers probably sweat over that.

I didn't realise there was another one of these with Ridley. It's very unfortunate for him but he is very clearly concussion prone. That's now 2 innocuous incidents that have led to concussions. We should absolutely be raising that in our defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Willie Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Back