Player Watch Willie Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Top 5 most important for sure.

The only one of our forwards who is a genuine goal scoring threat when the ball is in their vicinity i50.
Mac isn't a goal threat
DBJ is good at capitalising on joe the gooses but not really a threat otherwise
Dix/Marshall/George aren't a threat at ground level and aren't really an aerial threat unless they have >10m of separation
Fin isn't an aerial threat and while his ground work is good his kicking for goal is absolutely shot.

Where does he rank in our most important players? I have him top 3 with Butters and JHF. Maybe even number 1 given that the midfielders have better support. Our forward line and gameplan is so dour that you just can’t put a value on a guy that can make something out of nothing.
There is no way he's more influential than Rozee, Butters, the Hornet and Houston.

He needs a few more great games to really get himself into the 5th position.

There is no way he's more influential than Rozee, Butters, the Hornet and Houston.

He needs a few more great games to really get himself into the 5th position.
He doesn't have to be better than them to be top 5. Rozee, Butters, JHF and Houston are 4 players. I'm not convinced we have a 5th player better or more important than Rioli. Especially considering how poor the rest of our forward line has been this year.

He doesn't have to be better than them to be top 5. Rozee, Butters, JHF and Houston are 4 players. I'm not convinced we have a 5th player better or more important than Rioli. Especially considering how poor the rest of our forward line has been this year.
Those top four are non-negotiable for me. They are all awesome and have been for a while.

Yeah, I was trying to think who would be next cab off the rank would if it isn't Rioli and on form this year it would be Drew or Zerk-Thatcher so Rioli is very much amongst it.

I need to see it a bit more but he's around the area.

He may be our 5th best player - but he is arguably top 3 in terms of most valuable to the side.

Without Rioli we do not win yesterday, we do not win last week either and without going back through the games I'd hazard we dont win a few more.
This is my point. He's not in our top five best players IMO, but I think he's right up there for our most important because, when in form, he alleviates our biggest deficiency - lack of scoring potency.

If Rozee, Butters, or JHF miss a game, you'd hope the other two step up. If Rioli misses I'm really wondering who is going to be damaging in the front half.

Where does he rank in our most important players? I have him top 3 with Butters and JHF. Maybe even number 1 given that the midfielders have better support. Our forward line and gameplan is so dour that you just can’t put a value on a guy that can make something out of nothing.
Top 5 IMO, especially with SPP out.
He is the only dangerous forward we currently have, and his importance is amplified by the lack of form and productivity from all of the tall forwards. In fact, DBJ is our second best forward, both based on goal return and on what your eyes tell you when we watch our games.

Our top 5 most important players currentlY;

1. Butters
2. JHF
3. Houston
4. Rioli
5. Rozee

Aliir and Marshall should be there but haven't been good enough in 2024.

There's a difference between top 5 players on talent and top 5 most important players.

Rozee, Butters, JHF, Houston, probably even Wines, Boak, Aliir, Drew are "better" players.

But Rozee out just gives more mid time to Butters/JHF/Wines/Drew so not a loss we can't cover.

Rioli out means Evans comes in which is pretty much a 4 goal deficit from the get go. Rioli is top 5 in importance because he's the only genuine threat for us inside 50, and we have no way to cover his absence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a difference between top 5 players on talent and top 5 most important players.

Rozee, Butters, JHF, Houston, probably even Wines, Boak, Aliir, Drew are "better" players.

But Rozee out just gives more mid time to Butters/JHF/Wines/Drew so not a loss we can't cover.

Rioli out means Evans comes in which is pretty much a 4 goal deficit from the get go. Rioli is top 5 in importance because he's the only genuine threat for us inside 50, and we have no way to cover his absence.
I go by talent and not importance but I understand importance.

What you've said about Rioli is correct but that is dependent on the team's weaknesses.

Last year Aliir is super important but this year he is not as important because we bought in Rat and Zerk. Same player though.

One of the good things about our list is that the younger talent is starting to blossom and we should get some real strength in that middle part of the team and hopefully add to the top 8 or so. Mead, Burgoyne, Bergman, Sinn, Lord, Dante, etc

Alright what's going on with the club & Rioli. I understand underestimating his injury by a week, but for it to happen repeatedly & now out ill, i'm breaking out the tinfoil hat.

how many games has Rioli missed being sick since he has been here? And then missed a crucial game last year going home for a anniversary of his Dad's death. Add to that the suspensions and injuries, would be nice for him to actually string some games together for us.

how many games has Rioli missed being sick since he has been here? And then missed a crucial game last year going home for a anniversary of his Dad's death. Add to that the suspensions and injuries, would be nice for him to actually string some games together for us.
About to be 10 missed out of 40 games played, Although in his last game he was injured immediately, so really 11.

I love Willie however he is the sorta guy that could pull out of a final with the all encompassing family reasons given. I have no long term trust in him being there it's bonkers how we didn't strengthen our small forward division aside from a young untested draftee.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Willie Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Back