Player Watch Willie Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Fit to play, but picked in SANFL.
Cryptic Insta post Thursday night.
Pulls out Sunday.

Yeah, there’s some shit going down.

Officially will be 7 weeks since his last game if he returns next week. (6 missed)

Originally listed as 2-3.

After 2 weeks Hinkley was making murmurs that he wouldn't play the next game and was iffy for the week after.

That took us to week 4, when I think he was even named, then pulled the next day.

In the lead up to the 5th game, we hear that it is a knee injury from Drew, nothing from the club, but Hinkley proclaims it is illness in another conference.

In the 6th week he is named for SANFL, but is somehow randomly pulled out pregame with 'personal reasons'

Last edited:
Officially will be 7 weeks if he returns next week.

Originally listed as 2-3.

After 2 weeks Hinkley was making murmurs that he wouldn't play the next game and was iffy for the week after.

That took us to week 4, when I think he was even named, then pulled the next day.

In the lead up to the 5th game, we hear that it is a knee injury from Drew, nothing from the club, but Hinkley proclaims it is illness in another conference.

In the 6th week he is named for SANFL, but is somehow randomly pulled out pregame with 'personal reasons'
Lol its all bullshit. Hes gone off the deep end.

Most AFL players are sick once or twice in their whole career, he's been withdrawn from games due to illness and personal matters in both years he's been at the club now
Several times & each time late notice. I've had a theory for some time but it's just speculating so no intention of sharing it. Miss watching him play. Such a skilful player.

Does anyone actually know what’s happened or just jumping to worst case conclusions? It always sounded suss particularly with his history buts it’s escalated from a cold/flu/covid to career over pretty quickly.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The hysteria is based on nothing, but the undeniable facts are that this 2-3 week calf stretching to now a 7 week break is worrying from any perspective. Especially when you consider the calf/knee/illness mixed messages, the late withdrawls and changes of team now 2 or was it 3 times?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe what he said.

It is not the first time. This, from May 2021...

West Coast coach Adam Simpson predicts Willie Rioli will be keeping his tweets to a minimum after the banned goalsneak hit the headlines again last week for a social media rant. Rioli's AFL future was still in the balance when he unleashed a foul-mouthed rant on Twitter after commentators questioned what sanction Richmond's Marlion Pickett could receive after he was reported for a high hit.
"Willie sometimes doesn't realise how much scrutiny he may be under. Trying to educate him through that is always ongoing," Simpson said.

It looks like West Coast had their problems.
As has been posted we knew what we were getting and it was never going to be a long association.

Whatever is going on I hope he is doing well.

I miss watching him play.
Along with JHF, he’s the only other current player I get genuinely excited at the thought of going to watch.

So whether he’s back on the Cheech and Chong’s, he’s had a family bereavement or it genuinely is a calf/illness, I hope we haven’t seen the last of him because I enjoy watching him play the game of football.

If it is an off field issue, the club have handled it terribly. Naming him and then late withdrawing him twice has only added to the speculation. Just say his injury is worse than we first thought or something.

Silence only leads to speculation, which is what’s happening here. Just come out and address it.
He's been in training from what I understand, as they showed him on the bounce wearing a full on balaclava because of how cold it was.

I'd imagine if it was off field stuff, that he wouldn't be training with the main group.

It is not the first time. This, from May 2021...

West Coast coach Adam Simpson predicts Willie Rioli will be keeping his tweets to a minimum after the banned goalsneak hit the headlines again last week for a social media rant. Rioli's AFL future was still in the balance when he unleashed a foul-mouthed rant on Twitter after commentators questioned what sanction Richmond's Marlion Pickett could receive after he was reported for a high hit.
"Willie sometimes doesn't realise how much scrutiny he may be under. Trying to educate him through that is always ongoing," Simpson said.

It looks like West Coast had their problems.
As has been posted we knew what we were getting and it was never going to be a long association.
The only thing I saw from him on Insta in the last few days was a fairly innocuous post about “making the most of each day” sort of thing, can’t remember the exact wording. So unless something has been deleted, there was nothing controversial.

If it is an off field issue, the club have handled it terribly. Naming him and then late withdrawing him twice has only added to the speculation. Just say his injury is worse than we first thought or something.

It actually crossed my mind that if it's a strike issue that the club may not be aware that he is unavailable for selection?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Willie Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Back