Wines v Macrae

Who is the better player currently?

• Macrae

Votes: 151 64.0%
  • Wines

Votes: 85 36.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon Macrae will end up the more influential player. Sounds strange but I'd say he has more potential to be a stand out mid giving WB's depth compared to Port's.

Wines is playing in a team with all cylinders firing - I think he's a little overrated at this stage imo.

Wines is perfectly rated. He´s a gun. Major part of the Port resurgence.

Macrae is also a gun.

Close, not so much last year but very close this year. Wines, not too hard a call given what he's provided Port with in his first 38 games.

Macrae's been fantastic for us this year, though, and he still has so far to go. I'd be more inclined to look at the pair in 4-5 years time. I won't say that Macrae has the potential to be the better player, because it's not as if Wines has hit his ceiling just for being more consistent at this point.

Given the chance to re-do the 2012 draft, I'd still take Macrae, because he's exactly what we need and fits the plan we've got for the next 4-5 years moreso than Wines, but I just wish we had 3 picks instead of 2 so we could've gotten Ollie as well. I know, I know, I'm being greedy.

Good post. Both players have filled positional needs and will be guns of the competition.

Better now? Ollie

Better in the future? Should be MaCrae if he hits his potential.

Macrae is good in an ordinary team, whereas Wines shows class.

If there's one thing Wines lacks, it's class.

He's a bull and a contested beast, but isn't the cleanest player going around. Certainly compared to Macrae.

I have to go with Macrae his form at the moment is outstanding.

Macrae will be a star but there is something about Wines...

He will win 2 Brownlows.
Oh god no he won't. Neither will Macrae. Neither will 99.99999999% of players that people will say will win a Brownlow.

I think the Doggies are very happy with Macrae at this point, contrary to what some people suggested in this thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macrae is extremely underrated. finds the ball at will, distributes well by hand, unbelievable work rate.

Had a legit claim to the norm smith as well

Wow just found out Macrae is 3rd out of all midfielders in the AFL for the lowest contested possessions to possessions ratio. Take Libba out of that side and i wonder how he would go, a lot easier to be the outlet handball with no tag and getting cheap uncontested possessions than it is to be the bull a.la. libba/wines.
Jack went alright as an inside mid last year while Libba was on the sidelines.

Is premiership star Fletcher Roberts ahead of Alex Rance too?
Sigh. Always comes back to this.
There is no point using the saying when you are comparing someone like Fletcher Roberts to Alex Rance. Of course the best full-back in the game is going to come out on top. When you are comparing two players of the same age and are both rated highly, there is definitely a point in saying it. Of course Macrae would come out on top right now after being one of our best players during the finals series and undoubtedly in our best 3 on ground in the GF.

Sigh. Always comes back to this.
There is no point using the saying when you are comparing someone like Fletcher Roberts to Alex Rance. Of course the best full-back in the game is going to come out on top. When you are comparing two players of the same age and are both rated highly, there is definitely a point in saying it. Of course Macrae would come out on top right now after being one of our best players during the finals series and undoubtedly in our best 3 on ground in the GF.
Wines has been BOG in multiple finals as well? Just because macrae had the opportunity to play in a grand final and played well doesn't make him a better player.

That's like saying Boyd is better then Hogan because he nearly won the norm smith... sure Boyd played well and deserves the attention but Hogan is still the better overall player by far

Wines has been BOG in multiple finals as well? Just because macrae had the opportunity to play in a grand final and played well doesn't make him a better player.
His versatile attributes set him apart though.

That's like saying Boyd is better then Hogan because he nearly won the norm smith... sure Boyd played well and deserves the attention but Hogan is still the better overall player by far
Just no. Even most Melbourne supporters admit the gap has closed a fair bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wines v Macrae

Back