Analysis Wing Attendance Megathread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Well back from holidays so time to get back to work, I guess. An easier week with less goals and decent camera direction.

Wing AttendanceRound 3Western BulldogsMarvel Stadium
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
McCluggage
2​
3​
5​
12.50%​
Ashcroft
2​
3​
2​
2​
9​
22.50%​
Wilmot
1​
5​
2​
2​
10​
25.00%​
Zorko
1​
1​
1​
3​
7.50%​
Bailey
2​
2​
4​
10.00%​
Berry
1​
4​
5​
12.50%​
Answerth
3​
3​
7.50%​
Starcevich
1​
1​
2.50%​

I'm just assuming at this point that if there's someone on the defensive wing out of camera shot that it's Gunston, if I can't identify them myself (I managed to pick up one of his attendances live at the ground this week at least). I think it was Dunkley at the last centre bounce of the game but I'm not positive...

Wing AttendanceRound 4CollingwoodGabba
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Zorko
3​
1​
4​
6.06%​
Berry
6​
2​
4​
2​
5​
1​
3​
1​
24​
36.36%​
Wilmot
5​
5​
4​
3​
4​
21​
31.82%​
McCluggage
2​
2​
4​
6.06%​
Bailey
1​
3​
2​
1​
3​
10​
15.15%​
Gunston
2​
2​
3.03%​
Dunkley
1​
1​
1.52%​

I'm just assuming at this point that if there's someone on the defensive wing out of camera shot that it's Gunston, if I can't identify them myself (I managed to pick up one of his attendances live at the ground this week at least). I think it was Dunkley at the last centre bounce of the game but I'm not positive...

Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Zorko
3​
1​
4​
6.06%​
Berry
6​
2​
4​
2​
5​
1​
3​
1​
24​
36.36%​
Wilmot
5​
5​
4​
3​
4​
21​
31.82%​
McCluggage
2​
2​
4​
6.06%​
Bailey
1​
3​
2​
1​
3​
10​
15.15%​
Gunston
2​
2​
3.03%​
Dunkley
1​
1​
1.52%​

You're doing gods work my friend.

Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Zorko
3​
1​
4​
6.06%​
Berry
6​
2​
4​
2​
5​
1​
3​
1​
24​
36.36%​
Wilmot
5​
5​
4​
3​
4​
21​
31.82%​
McCluggage
2​
2​
4​
6.06%​
Bailey
1​
3​
2​
1​
3​
10​
15.15%​
Gunston
2​
2​
3.03%​
Dunkley
1​
1​
1.52%​
A little different than mine on previous page for the Pies game.
Just shows that the top wing is sometimes hard to recognize the player on the TV screen. With my eyes anyhow.
Berrys taped shoulder and Wilmot's haircut helps a lot.
I wonder if there is any free site that actually records this stat for each individual game.
Would save your eyes and time.

A little different than mine on previous page for the Pies game.
Just shows that the top wing is sometimes hard to recognize the player on the TV screen. With my eyes anyhow.
Berrys taped shoulder and Wilmot's haircut helps a lot.
I wonder if there is any free site that actually records this stat for each individual game.
Would save your eyes and time.
That is interesting about the differences! In the end you're deciding between guys with similar haircuts/builds/hair colour in a long camera shot so it does become guess work at times when you don't have taped shoulders and other distinct features to work with.

I did ask the DFS Australia people who do the CBAs, ruck contests, kick-in's etc about wing attendances but apparently it's just something that Champion Data don't release publicly. And I don't think anyone else is as sad as me to do manually for every game...

That is interesting about the differences! In the end you're deciding between guys with similar haircuts/builds/hair colour in a long camera shot so it does become guess work at times when you don't have taped shoulders and other distinct features to work with.

I did ask the DFS Australia people who do the CBAs, ruck contests, kick-in's etc about wing attendances but apparently it's just something that Champion Data don't release publicly. And I don't think anyone else is as sad as me to do manually for every game...
The bottom of the screen you have the players number so that's easy enough unless they are out of screen altogether.
I think this stat together with the CBA's gives us a better understanding of how the midfield is structured.
So, appreciate your time and effort.

Fairly easy one this week!

Wing AttendanceRound 5North MelbourneMt Barker
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Berry
6​
3​
5​
2​
4​
20​
26.32%​
McCluggage
4​
3​
2​
2​
11​
14.47%​
Wilmot
5​
1​
4​
3​
8​
4​
1​
26​
34.21%​
Bailey
2​
1​
2​
3​
5​
13​
17.11%​
Zorko
1​
2​
3​
3.95%​
Dunkley
2​
1​
3​
3.95%​

I assume Berry is our break-out-in-cases-of-big-bodied-opposition-midfield solution. His shoulders probably won't stand up to the rigors of 22 rounds in the middle, but will be used there on a needs basis against teams like Melbourne and possibly Geelong.

Also interesting that Ashcroft has been moved out of the wing rotation, and has been getting more CBAs

I assume Berry is our break-out-in-cases-of-big-bodied-opposition-midfield solution. His shoulders probably won't stand up to the rigors of 22 rounds in the middle, but will be used there on a needs basis against teams like Melbourne and possibly Geelong.

Also interesting that Ashcroft has been moved out of the wing rotation, and has been getting more CBAs

Would assume so yes. Also interesting that Ashcroft had no wing attendance, 18 CBAs but 2 contested possessions and 0 clearances. Not tagging on him since he was still very good in the middle but funny that you would have thought the opposite.

Neale told the boys that the clearances were his and his alone.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Would assume so yes. Also interesting that Ashcroft had no wing attendance, 18 CBAs but 2 contested possessions and 0 clearances. Not tagging on him since he was still very good in the middle but funny that you would have thought the opposite.

Neale told the boys that the clearances were his and his alone.

I was thinking the same about Ashcroft. I was about to go watch some of the replay to see where he had lined up

Fairly easy one this week!

Wing AttendanceRound 5North MelbourneMt Barker
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Berry
6​
3​
5​
2​
4​
20​
26.32%​
McCluggage
4​
3​
2​
2​
11​
14.47%​
Wilmot
5​
1​
4​
3​
8​
4​
1​
26​
34.21%​
Bailey
2​
1​
2​
3​
5​
13​
17.11%​
Zorko
1​
2​
3​
3.95%​
Dunkley
2​
1​
3​
3.95%​

Winger Wilmot taking over. Nice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ashcroft had a pretty good spread of disposals but mainly forward of the wing.
Not too bad for only 67% TOG

Will Ashcroft Round 5, 2023
source

match-120380504-1023517.png

DEF 50 <---> FWD 50

I am pleasantly surprised that Wilmot has done such a good job on the wing, it is a hard role to play and requires a very good level of endurance, exceptional for such a young player.
Also requires a healthy dose of discipline... Not the first thing that would come to mind when you think about his personality!

Wilmot has definitely been a good pickup and seems to be impacting contests at both ends of the ground too. I do still like Prior in that role though as feel he does a similar job, but it's very hard to fit all these guys in with a full lineup and no injuries.

Wilmot has definitely been a good pickup and seems to be impacting contests at both ends of the ground too. I do still like Prior in that role though as feel he does a similar job, but it's very hard to fit all these guys in with a full lineup and no injuries.
I’m hoping Priors gets an extended run in Rich’s spot this year.

I'm not sures he is as dynamic a distributor as a Rich or Coleman, but he is definitely much better defensively.

I do feel like him and Robertson could be good replacements for Rich / Zorko as someone mentioned in another thread.

I think with McKenna and Coleman he doesn’t need to be expected to make dangerous plays. He’s still a very reliable kick though.

Felt like there were more runs of the same wingers with less switching around but that could just have been a timing thing.

Wing AttendanceRound 6GWSManuka Oval
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
McCluggage
1​
1​
1​
4​
2​
9​
13.64%​
Bailey
1​
1​
1.52%​
Wilmot
6​
6​
2​
2​
5​
21​
31.82%​
Berry
6​
2​
6​
8​
5​
27​
40.91%​
Bailey
1​
2​
3​
4.55%​
Zorko
1​
1​
1​
3​
4.55%​
Ashcroft
1​
1​
2​
3.03%​

Felt like there were more runs of the same wingers with less switching around but that could just have been a timing thing.

Wing AttendanceRound 6GWSManuka Oval
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
McCluggage
1​
1​
1​
4​
2​
9​
13.64%​
Bailey
1​
1​
1.52%​
Wilmot
6​
6​
2​
2​
5​
21​
31.82%​
Berry
6​
2​
6​
8​
5​
27​
40.91%​
Bailey
1​
2​
3​
4.55%​
Zorko
1​
1​
1​
3​
4.55%​
Ashcroft
1​
1​
2​
3.03%​
I'll have a double Baileys and milk please.

As a general rule, which positions are considered "inside mid" and which positions are considered "outside mid"?
I am not sure if there is a general rule written down somewhere.
Coaches would know what they want from certain players though. Inside the clubs it may be written down.

For me it is all about clearance players.
So, the more clearances you get the more likely i would class you as an inside midfielder in the modern game.

My general position breakup would be:
Inside mid- Ruck, Ruck rover, Centre- (Lions - Oscar (R), Dunkley (R/Rov), Neale (C)) then the bench player/players
Outside mid - Two Wings, Rover - (Lions - Berry (W), Wilmott (W), McCluggage (Rov)) then the bench player/players

In the modern game i think it is just a combination of what fits into the team structure.

A quick search did not reveal anything. Below is one i found on their description of midfielders.
it is just an opinion from an AFL follower and is a reasonable assessment.

Difference between inside midfielders and outside midfielders​

There are two types of midfielders in in footy: Inside midfielders and Outside midfielders. Inside midfielders aim to move through contested areas to get the ball into space for their teammates; outside midfielders are the ones who occupy this space to receive the ball.

While there are not official AFL positions, I’ve found teams like to divide their midfielders like this to accommodate the different strengths within a team.

Inside midfielders are the ones who do the dirty work – so to speak. They are usually big and physical, winning the ball after the ruck-man has contested the ball-up.

While not usually quick, inside midfielders have great endurance and are able to take many hits and tackles over a game and a season. One of the great strengths of the inside midfielder is to have great vision – releasing players in heavy traffic and putting the ball into space for their teammates.

Outside midfielders are the main benefactors of the work of the inside midfielder. Outside midfielders are the targets usually out in space, like a receiver in American football. These guys are usually quicker than the inside midfielders, but also have great endurance having to run back and forth.

While they don’t score as heavily as forwards, outside midfielders are usually the main source of providing scoring opportunities. They are the ones kicking into the attacking players. Having good kick and clean skills is essential for an outside midfielder
..............................................................................................................................................

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Wing Attendance Megathread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back