Analysis Wing Attendance Megathread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Continuing on from last season where I was mildly irritated that no one seems to record wing attendances in games, or at least do so in a way that's available to the average punter, I will be manually recording the wing attendances for the Lions again this season. Note that because I'm doing this by sight and bound by the sometimes terrible television direction, I make no promises as to the accuracy.

I've also decided to put all these into one thread rather than shoving them into the match review threads, particularly because of laziness and partly because I think it's useful to look at the changes over time.
Meaningless detail is what gives life meaning. Thanks Zoblitz

My general position breakup would be:
Inside mid- Ruck, Ruck rover, Centre- (Lions - Oscar (R), Dunkley (R/Rov), Neale (C)) then the bench player/players
Outside mid - Two Wings, Rover - (Lions - Berry (W), Wilmott (W), McCluggage (Rov)) then the bench player/players

In the modern game i think it is just a combination of what fits into the team structure.

This is great, thanks so much. So basically we have 3 outside midfielders at any point in time. Two of those are wingers, which it's been established can go considerable periods of the game without seeing the ball.

Thinking about a player like McCluggage, forgetting his form/confidence issues for the moment... He's arguably the best/most accurate field kick in the team. Surely there must be some way to get the ball in his hands more often, without starting him in at centre bounces, where I don't really think he excels (altho he might if we adopted more of that intercept handball game I've become so enamoured with).

People talk about that "striker" role, of the player who starts in at centre bounces and then just bolts forward, completely disregarding his opponent or defending in general.

I'm not suggesting we do this with Hugh, but is there a way we can set him up to play on the wing, but then have him rack up disposals (preferably kicks) like a half back flanker might?

I don't have any answers for now, just wanted to float something up on middle and leg stump and see if someone can dropkick it over cow corner...

This is great, thanks so much. So basically we have 3 outside midfielders at any point in time. Two of those are wingers, which it's been established can go considerable periods of the game without seeing the ball.

Thinking about a player like McCluggage, forgetting his form/confidence issues for the moment... He's arguably the best/most accurate field kick in the team. Surely there must be some way to get the ball in his hands more often, without starting him in at centre bounces, where I don't really think he excels (altho he might if we adopted more of that intercept handball game I've become so enamoured with).

People talk about that "striker" role, of the player who starts in at centre bounces and then just bolts forward, completely disregarding his opponent or defending in general.

I'm not suggesting we do this with Hugh, but is there a way we can set him up to play on the wing, but then have him rack up disposals (preferably kicks) like a half back flanker might?

I don't have any answers for now, just wanted to float something up on middle and leg stump and see if someone can dropkick it over cow corner...
Or look at N.Daicos and how he comes up to the contest and waits to be the outlet player

Easy week.

Wing AttendanceRound 7FremantleGabba
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Berry
4​
2​
2​
7​
2​
3​
3​
23​
38.33%​
McCluggage
2​
2​
2​
1​
1​
1​
1​
10​
16.67%​
Bailey
1​
1​
1​
2​
5​
8.33%​
Wilmot
3​
2​
4​
1​
5​
3​
18​
30.00%​
Zorko
1​
1​
1.67%​
Dunkley
3​
3​
5.00%​

Easy week.

Wing AttendanceRound 7FremantleGabba
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Berry
4​
2​
2​
7​
2​
3​
3​
23​
38.33%​
McCluggage
2​
2​
2​
1​
1​
1​
1​
10​
16.67%​
Bailey
1​
1​
1​
2​
5​
8.33%​
Wilmot
3​
2​
4​
1​
5​
3​
18​
30.00%​
Zorko
1​
1​
1.67%​
Dunkley
3​
3​
5.00%​
hoping they shift Berry to more inside mid and hence pick a winger to replace Zorko.

Anyone know who has been playing wing and ready to go in ressies? Ah Chee would be ideal as we are losing 500 games of experience to better to bring in some more games rather than someone too raw

Knowing that Gunston normally plays as the defensive winger makes things a lot easier to work out.

Wing AttendanceRound 8CarltonMarvel Stadium
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bailey
2​
2​
2​
6​
10.34%​
Berry
1​
5​
1​
1​
6​
1​
3​
18​
31.03%​
Answerth
2​
1​
2​
5​
8.62%​
Sharp
4​
2​
1​
3​
4​
7​
21​
36.21%​
McCarthy
1​
1​
1.72%​
Gunston
2​
3​
5​
8.62%​
McCluggage
2​
2​
3.45%​

Knowing that Gunston normally plays as the defensive winger makes things a lot easier to work out.

Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bailey
2​
2​
2​
6​
10.34%​
Berry
1​
5​
1​
1​
6​
1​
3​
18​
31.03%​
Answerth
2​
1​
2​
5​
8.62%​
Sharp
4​
2​
1​
3​
4​
7​
21​
36.21%​
McCarthy
1​
1​
1.72%​
Gunston
2​
3​
5​
8.62%​
McCluggage
2​
2​
3.45%​
We really like to share our wing time around, is that normal throughout the competition? I wonder what sort of percentage Ed Langdon spends on the wing.

Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bailey
2​
2​
2​
6​
10.34%​
Berry
1​
5​
1​
1​
6​
1​
3​
18​
31.03%​
Answerth
2​
1​
2​
5​
8.62%​
Sharp
4​
2​
1​
3​
4​
7​
21​
36.21%​
McCarthy
1​
1​
1.72%​
Gunston
2​
3​
5​
8.62%​
McCluggage
2​
2​
3.45%​
Well that should put to bed any discussion that Wilmot played any significant wing time on the weekend.

So we ended up playing:
Wilmot across half back to replace Rich
Moved McCluggage forward to play off half forward / mid
ANSWERTH in the back line as the 7th def (and cover Coleman when he went off)
Sharp onto the wing

Definitely a bit of a mix up, I was surprised too not see Berry (0 CBA) get thrown in the middle at all, but Dunkley was obviously given first chance on Cripps and he dominated to be fair.

Well that should put to bed any discussion that Wilmot played any significant wing time on the weekend.
Not wanting to discount any of the great work ZoBlitz is doing here, but I wonder how indicative the setup at centre bounces is relative to time spent actually playing that position.

For example, with only 3 goals kicked in the second quarter it's quite possible that players changed position outside of centre bounces.

Wing AttendanceRound 9EssendonGabba
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Berry
3​
1​
2​
1​
6​
4​
2​
19​
45.24%​
McCluggage
1​
1​
3​
5​
11.90%​
Bailey
1​
1​
1​
1​
2​
6​
14.29%​
Sharp
1​
1​
3​
3​
4​
12​
28.57%​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A fleeting question/post regarding the top/bottom linked reference, it is purely a tv screen observation, yeah?

Apologies if this was stated somewhere in a historical game day thread but after seeing the heat map Def - Fwd directional guide. ZoBlitz any chance of adding this and the notation of the Gabba being the only top/interchange side when viewed on TV. 😏😁

A fleeting question/post regarding the top/bottom linked reference, it is purely a tv screen observation, yeah?

Apologies if this was stated somewhere in a historical game day thread but after seeing the heat map Def - Fwd directional guide. ZoBlitz any chance of adding this and the notation of the Gabba being the only top/interchange side when viewed on TV.

The bottom side would be the interchange wing and the top would be the broadcast wing. Sharp played on the broadcast wing most of the match and remember him racking up a lot of touches near me like the heat map shows.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The bottom side would be the interchange wing and the top would be the broadcast wing. Sharp played on the broadcast wing most of the match and remember him racking up a lot of touches near me like the heat map shows.

Many thx for the clarity bm. 👍

Actually it's the other way around. I go off the TV coverage and the top side is the interchange wing and the bottom is the broadcast wing although as you say Sharp did seem to more involved in the play on the broadcast wing.

I think I've got that right but I am fundamentally directionally challenged so apologies if I've misunderstood something.

Actually it's the other way around. I go off the TV coverage and the top side is the interchange wing and the bottom is the broadcast wing although as you say Sharp did seem to more involved in the play on the broadcast wing.

I think I've got that right but I am fundamentally directionally challenged so apologies if I've misunderstood something.
Something, something, clay pigeon shooting... 😳😱

You are correct the interchange is top of screen at least on FTA as that is all i watch.

In regard to heat maps for those that don't usually look at them they are displayed as: Def 50 <---> Fwd 50
Defense possessions are left of center line on the screen and forward possessions to the right of center line of screen.
They would be adjusted depending on which way team is going by quarters. End result is displayed in one image.

The AFL phone app has quarter by quarter heat maps which i can't put images up on here as i use a PC for BF. Also indicates % forward and defense.
Available via game (eg: Lions v Essendon) player stats, then just tap on the player.
Towards the top it automatically goes to "ALL" you can change that to Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4. The stats plus heat maps adjust to the quarter.

Harry Sharp in quarter one, had 2 disposal bottom of screen. 50% def 50% fwd
In quarter two, he had 6 top and 1 bottom. 58% def 42% fwd
Quarter three, 4 bottom. 50% defense 50% fwd
Quarter four, 4 top. 100% def

So, this indicates he stayed on the same wing side all game.
Which of course means Berry stayed on the other side.

Sharp spent a total of 65% in defense half of the ground and 35% forward half.
Berry 60% defense, 40% forward half.

Wing AttendanceRound 10Gold CoastGabba
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Berry
3​
2​
1​
1​
4​
1​
5​
17​
31.48%​
McCluggage
1​
1​
3​
2​
2​
2​
1​
12​
22.22%​
Sharp
1​
2​
4​
5​
12​
22.22%​
Bailey
1​
1​
1​
2​
5​
9.26%​
Zorko
1​
1​
1.85%​
McCarthy
1​
1​
1.85%​
Gunston
1​
1​
1.85%​
Ah Chee
5​
5​
9.26%​

I won't include McCluggage as he is a mixture of wing/midfield
Ah Chee: 25% TOG, 5 Disposals @ 60%, 1 Mark, 0 Tackles.
Sharp: 52% TOG, 10 Disposals @ 70%, 4 Marks, 1 Tackle.
Berry: 72% TOG, 20 Disposals @ 70%, 8 Marks, 1 Tackle.

1684717893891.png

1684717808286.png

1684717681817.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis Wing Attendance Megathread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Back