Analysis Wing Attendance Megathread 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't have Kayo. For this exercise i had to go on the AFL replay which is time consuming. Sounds like Kayo is just as bad to look at though.
I usually rely on your figures and add some heat maps even though they only tell part of the story.
Some posters probably don't know where to find the heat maps.
I don't think i can get the player highlights on my app. Do you have to be a Telstra customer?
I'd actually forgotten about the AFL.com.au replay option with all the broadcast rights changes, I might give that a go next time to see if it's any better.

It's not really intuitive to find the player highlights to be honest, you have to click on stats button on the bottom right and then search for the player you want to look at. And then under the AFL StatsPro section you have access to the players highlights for whatever game you want to look at. I'm not on Telstra so I assume everyone can access it.

I'd actually forgotten about the AFL.com.au replay option with all the broadcast rights changes, I might give that a go next time to see if it's any better.

It's not really intuitive to find the player highlights to be honest, you have to click on stats button on the bottom right and then search for the player you want to look at. And then under the AFL StatsPro section you have access to the players highlights for whatever game you want to look at. I'm not on Telstra so I assume everyone can access it.
Thanks, i found it and it was good to know about how to access it.

For others that want to have a look. Two ways to find it.

Open AFL app
Tap "stats" at bottom of screen.
Tap "Player Search" for the player you want at top of screen. Type players name. Click on player when it appears.
Scroll down to "Last match highlights" and tap.
Highlights start automatically.
When finished tap on "extended"

This goes to the last game played.
To see other games. Located above "Last match highlights" is "All highlights" tap on.
Just scroll down to find the game you want.
Or

Open AFL app
Tap matches at bottom of screen.
Find the game you want. eg tap round 18 at top of screen. Scroll down to find game. Tap on say the Mel v Lions game.
Tap on "players"
Find and tap on the player you want.
Tap 'View Profile"
Scroll down and tap "last match highlights"
Highlights will automatically play.
When finished you can also tap on "Extended" that looks like it shows 1% & tackles etc

It is nice to see that I'm not the only nerd who cares about this stuff. I was surprised realising that Gunston was playing on the wing (admittedly not for ages as noted by Section 5) but then with Dev out it was probably going to be him or Bailey helping out there and in the end it turned out to be both!

It's also worth noting if you're interested in getting a feel of what a player is doing in a game without rewatching the whole thing is that you can watch the highlights of individual players in the AFL app and they can be quite comprehensive. Might help back up opinions of who's doing what where beyond just looking at heat maps.

To whine a bit on my end, it's also bloody awful trying to record attendances in Kayo now with no quarter start/goal tag points and the fact that when you're trying to spool through with the fast forward the interface covers the current score so it's hard to keep track of what the current goal count is to check your figures. And there's a delay in the interface minimising when you hit play so you have to give it a buffer so it doesn't cover the bottom positioned wing.

The new Kayo interface stinks. Genuinely hard to navigate around and watch old games, removal of the goal tag points as well. It was not great but at least useable as recently as 3-4 weeks ago so not sure why they decided to ruin it.

Ok, so this week Kayo has the score up the top rather than the bottom and the goal/quarter tags. I assume it's all based around who the "primary broadcaster" is for the game? Anyway that made things easier apart from some of the "arty" camera direction choices for the centre bounces which meant I needed to do some deduction in parts.

Least number of attendances I've ever had to record at least.

Wing AttendanceRound 19GeelongGabba
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Fletcher
2​
1​
2​
2​
3​
4​
2​
16​
42.11%​
Berry
2​
3​
4​
2​
1​
12​
31.58%​
Ah Chee
2​
1​
2​
4​
9​
23.68%​
McCluggage
1​
1​
2.63%​

Ok, so this week Kayo has the score up the top rather than the bottom and the goal/quarter tags. I assume it's all based around who the "primary broadcaster" is for the game? Anyway that made things easier apart from some of the "arty" camera direction choices for the centre bounces which meant I needed to do some deduction in parts.

Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Fletcher
2​
1​
2​
2​
3​
4​
2​
16​
42.11%​
Berry
2​
3​
4​
2​
1​
12​
31.58%​
Ah Chee
2​
1​
2​
4​
9​
23.68%​
McCluggage
1​
1​
2.63%​
That makes it easier for you.
And as you mentioned only 16 goals scored reduced the number of attendances.

Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Fletcher
2​
1​
2​
2​
3​
4​
2​
16​
42.11%​
Berry
2​
3​
4​
2​
1​
12​
31.58%​
Ah Chee
2​
1​
2​
4​
9​
23.68%​
McCluggage
1​
1​
2.63%​

McCluggage’s one wing attendance shook Geelong mentally

I know Bez has copped some criticism but I think people have focused too heavily on his clangers. He did what he had to do last night with exceptional defensive pressure. In fact our 3 wingers did all you could hope for from that position.
I don't think any player has copped criticism on this particular thread. Other threads defiantly.
A rarity i know.
A lighthearted dig occasionally like Nathan Barley above on Gunston

Having rewatched the last quarter, I assume he wasn't playing proper wing at the time but I did see Gunston nearly chase down Tuohy on the wing. Was a bloody good effort actually... Tuohy is not exactly a racehorse but after Jack's early season showings, chasing anybody down really stood out!

Having rewatched the last quarter, I assume he wasn't playing proper wing at the time but I did see Gunston nearly chase down Tuohy on the wing. Was a bloody good effort actually... Tuohy is not exactly a racehorse but after Jack's early season showings, chasing anybody down really stood out!

He got Danger too!

I'm sure I've mixed up Lohmann and Fletcher at some point but I did my best.

Wing AttendanceRound 20Gold CoastCarrara
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Ah Chee
3​
2​
2​
3​
4​
1​
15​
30.00%​
Fletcher
2​
2​
2​
3​
2​
2​
13​
26.00%​
Lohmann
1​
1​
1​
1​
2​
1​
7​
14.00%​
Rayner
1​
1​
2.00%​
Berry
3​
6​
9​
18.00%​
Tunstill
5​
5​
10.00%​

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure I've mixed up Lohmann and Fletcher at some point but I did my best.

Wing AttendanceRound 20Gold CoastCarrara
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Ah Chee
3​
2​
2​
3​
4​
1​
15​
30.00%​
Fletcher
2​
2​
2​
3​
2​
2​
13​
26.00%​
Lohmann
1​
1​
1​
1​
2​
1​
7​
14.00%​
Rayner
1​
1​
2.00%​
Berry
3​
6​
9​
18.00%​
Tunstill
5​
5​
10.00%​
I seriously don’t understand why we sub one winger for a mid, then stick the mid out on a wing where they have very little influence on the game.

Our use of the sub has got to be the least tactical and pointless in the competition.

Last edited:
I seriously don’t understand why we sub one winger for a mid, the stick the mid out on a wing where they have very little influence on the game.

Our use of the sub has got to be the least tactical and pointless in the competition.
Been my bugbear all year. No matter who we have as sub we seem to try bring them on as late as possible and then cram them in the least impactful position we can. Its almost like we hate the sub rule and seem determined to not take advantage of it.

That or we get locked into the idea that we put the best 22 out each week and the 23rd player is significantly less, so needs to be used as little as possible

I attended the game and sat behind the goals with all the other freebie Lions supporters.
Never sat in that position before.
There was always another section to sit in but not for this game.
With the only big screen behind i really did not see a great deal.
Decided not to watch the replay so can't comment much on what actually happened.

With Ah Chee to the wing that left Berry in no man's land probably Mid/Fwd/Wing/bench going by the attendances mentioned.
Irrespective of what sone BF posters think Berry has been our best consistent wing player this year.
Going on CBA's Berry attended 28%.
The last time he attended 20% plus CBA's was against the Hawks another upset loss.
Prior to that the Dogs loss 35%.
We did win the Dees game when he went in for 71%

1691106814071.png

I attended the game and sat behind the goals with all the other freebie Lions supporters.
Never sat in that position before.
There was always another section to sit in but not for this game.
With the only big screen behind i really did not see a great deal.
Decided not to watch the replay so can't comment much on what actually happened.

With Ah Chee to the wing that left Berry in no man's land probably Mid/Fwd/Wing/bench going by the attendances mentioned.
Irrespective of what sone BF posters think Berry has been our best consistent wing player this year.
Going on CBA's Berry attended 28%.
The last time he attended 20% plus CBA's was against the Hawks another upset loss.
Prior to that the Dogs loss 35%.
We did win the Dees game when he went in for 71%

View attachment 1764070
Kinda blows my mind that a guy like Dev, who is a natural inside mid, biggest game inside was 17% CBA. Way below what other guys like McCluggage, Zorko, Bailey, Rayner, Berry (none of who I think are natural fits to inside mids this year) do regularly

Bloody down the ground camera angles for centre bounces might be great for viewers but annoying for me.

Wing AttendanceRound 21FremantlePerth Stadium
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Berry
3​
1​
3​
2​
1​
4​
2​
3​
19​
36.54%​
Fletcher
1​
2​
4​
5​
2​
2​
2​
18​
34.62%​
Ah Chee
1​
2​
3​
3​
1​
1​
11​
21.15%​
Bailey
1​
1​
1.92%​
Robertson
2​
1​
3​
5.77%​

Bloody down the ground camera angles for centre bounces might be great for viewers but annoying for me.

Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Berry
3​
1​
3​
2​
1​
4​
2​
3​
19​
36.54%​
Fletcher
1​
2​
4​
5​
2​
2​
2​
18​
34.62%​
Ah Chee
1​
2​
3​
3​
1​
1​
11​
21.15%​
Bailey
1​
1​
1.92%​
Robertson
2​
1​
3​
5.77%​
I actually reckon the whole game should be broadcast like that 😂

Or better yet, skycams behind the play for each team 💪

One day.

I actually reckon the whole game should be broadcast like that 😂

Or better yet, skycams behind the play for each team 💪

One day.
Every viewer controls their own drone to hover over the field to give everyone their preferred angle, including following a designated player if so desired.

Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Berry
3​
1​
3​
2​
1​
4​
2​
3​
19​
36.54%​
Fletcher
1​
2​
4​
5​
2​
2​
2​
18​
34.62%​
Ah Chee
1​
2​
3​
3​
1​
1​
11​
21.15%​
Bailey
1​
1​
1.92%​
Robertson
2​
1​
3​
5.77%​
I got caught out a few times watching the game too.
Said to my daughter at one stage McKenna is on the wing now who is on the other as i can't see.

Interesting breakdowns this week as in the first half we played Ah Chee/Berry/Robertson as our three wingers and then when Gunston was subbed out for the second half we brought on Fletcher as a winger, shifted Dev inside, moved Bailey more outside and shifted Ah Chee to the forward line to replace Gunston to finish with Berry/Fletcher/Bailey as our wingers in the second half.

Wing Attendance
Round 22
AdelaideGabba
Names
Q1
Q2
Q3
Q4
Total
Percentage
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Bottom​
Ah Chee
4​
1​
3​
8​
12.50%​
Berry
4​
4​
1​
4​
1​
7​
3​
24​
37.50%​
Robertson
1​
4​
5​
10​
15.63%​
Cameron
1​
1​
1.56%​
Fletcher
4​
5​
4​
13​
20.31%​
Bailey
5​
1​
6​
9.38%​
Prior
1​
1​
1.56%​
Rayner
1​
1​
1.56%​

With 2 games to go we are still not completely settled on wingers except Berry.
Even against the Dockers Fletcher was the preferred starting wing over Ah Chee.
I think the club see Fletcher eventually playing wing, but he is still inexperienced.
Fletcher showed signs of needing a break and it was good to see the club decided sub would fulfill that need.

I can really see Wilmot moving into the midfield next year.

The club may want to give Prior another game at HB.
If so Kiddy into side, Wilmot to wing and Ah Chee forward.

Most likely it will be Prior out for Kiddy and Lohmann in for Gunston.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back