Analysis Winning games by small margins - how do we keep doing it?

Remove this Banner Ad

There is certainly some luck involved, but we’re really well drilled and disciplined at the crunch. When we’re behind, we play with dash & dare, and that’s hard to defend. When we’re ahead, we do the little things right - like locking the ball in or being taken in a tackle rather than rushing a disposal to a 50/50. But it’s a strong fitness base and a ‘manic pressure’ gear that really makes it possible.

As someone else said, the fact that we’re allowing so many games to be close is a different discussion, and probably a reflection of our scope for improvement. We seem to play to the level of our opposition and only flick the switch when required, which won’t continue to work forever.
As one of the great coaches of the NFL said many years ago - and it remains true today . . .

"You can tell the opposition the plan in detail and still win - if you are good enough at implementing it".

I was about 10 beers deep though so that may have played a part

I dont really like those war comparisons and I still remember my grandfather being pretty depressed about the whole gallipoli thing, but there are things that people will do when those around them are doing it too....both positive and negative and sometimes unbelievably so. I think the players refuse to give up because of the other 21 players and more than that, they want to do something about turning things around. I think leadership is one of the most misrepresented things in sport.... and there are times when each and every player needs to look internally and turn things around or do something that will help the team. I think the coach noted mccreery for just doing something after half time but the whole team lifted. I recognise that the core leaders play an important part but it's even more powerful when everyone is looking to show the way....

I dont really like those war comparisons and I still remember my grandfather being pretty depressed about the whole gallipoli thing, but there are things that people will do when those around them are doing it too....both positive and negative and sometimes unbelievably so. I think the players refuse to give up because of the other 21 players and more than that, they want to do something about turning things around. I think leadership is one of the most misrepresented things in sport.... and there are times when each and every player needs to look internally and turn things around or do something that will help the team. I think the coach noted mccreery for just doing something after half time but the whole team lifted. I recognise that the core leaders play an important part but it's even more powerful when everyone is looking to show the way....
Its amazing how far total buy in to a plan from a playing group can take you. Even without a perfect list

I think a big reason is that we play a super efficient style of football. Although it may look like all duck and no dinner, no team has been able to work out our game plan. We seem to be able to switch attacking avenues without the opposition knowing where we are going. PS, the only reason we aer not blowing teams away is that we lack a real classy midfield

Agree with this. I’ve stopped checking the stats on the AFL app during games, because they don’t seem to matter as much anymore. According to the stats, Melbourne should have won easily.

It’s kind of extraordinary.

Our super efficiency, as you call it, might be rewriting the record books.

Hahaha

Buckley never said HE was the reason but you obviously want him to have said so.

It was clear for those who saw and heard Bucks on Friday night that the inference was about making sure people knew our success now is only possible because of his tenure. You're either unwilling to accept this, or you've not even seen the segment.

Go to the game on Kayo, its at 3hr 58mins.

The panel are raving about how good AJ is, and start throwing to the "wreck it Ralph" segment, but Bucks interrupts Lyon and interjects with his spiel.

"This is 5 years of good footy with a bad year last year"
"What Fly has done has been amazing, BUT its been built off a nucleus of a senior core that have been doing this for 5 or 6 years".
The panel don't add anything to his spiel and change subject immediately. It was completely unnecessary.

I love Bucks, he's my first childhood hero in a dark time for a young Collingwood supporter, but that's why I and others cringed so hard. There was no need to try defend his legacy and piggy back on the current success. Then to diminish Fly's impact on the group, and his ability to bring in and get the most out of new/young players??? A more unbiased view would be that the senior core were regressing under the previous coach and have been rejuvenated under Fly, while the ability to get the most out of new/young players has lifted the team from a low to mid table prospect to second on the ladder.

I'll accept that you don't interpret the above as Buckley bignoting himself. But can you not see your amazing hypocrisy on Malthouse? You're willing to infer that Malthouse is self centred bignoter and your evidence is not even a direct quote from Malthouse.

You also didn't address why its OK for you to re-do the Malthouse is a prick theme after so many years of that crap, but then you think it's OK hanging sh1t on me for posting about something Buckley actually said an hour before.

It was clear for those who saw and heard Bucks on Friday night that the inference was about making sure people knew our success now is only possible because of his tenure. You're either unwilling to accept this, or you've not even seen the segment.

The panel are raving about how good AJ is, and start throwing to the "wreck it Ralph" segment, but Bucks interrupts Lyon and interjects with his spiel.

"What Fly has done has been amazing, BUT its been built off a nucleus of a senior core that have been doing this for 5 or 6 years".
The panel don't add anything to his spiel and change subject immediately. It was completely unnecessary.

I love Bucks, he's my first childhood hero in a dark time for a young Collingwood supporter, but that's why I and others cringed so hard. There was no need to try defend his legacy and piggy back on the current success. Then to diminish Fly's impact on the group, and his ability to bring in and get the most out of new/young players??? A more unbiased view would be that the senior core were regressing under the previous coach and have been rejuvenated under Fly, while the ability to get the most out of new/young players has lifted the team from a low to mid table prospect to second on the ladder.

I'll accept that you don't interpret the above as Buckley bignoting himself. But can you not see your amazing hypocrisy on Malthouse? You're willing to infer that Malthouse is self centred bignoter and your evidence is not even a direct quote from Malthouse.

You also didn't address why its OK for you to re-do the Malthouse is a prick theme after so many years of that crap, but then you think it's OK hanging sh1t on me for posting about something Buckley actually said an hour before.
That comment by Bucks was unworthy of him and genuinely embarrassing. Whether intentional it demonstrates either an incredible lack of self awareness and judgement or an out of control ego desperate for some of the limelight currently shining on McRae.

To answer the thread title. This group of players don’t give up, and they know that if we are close enough we can run over the top.
This is our modus Operandi.
It’s going to be a hell of a ride from here.

To answer the thread title. This group of players don’t give up, and they know that if we are close enough we can run over the top.
This is our modus Operandi.
It’s going to be a hell of a ride from here.
This group aren't intimidated by anybody or any situation.

Makes them a bloody dangerous force . . .

This group aren't intimidated by anybody or any situation.

Makes them a bloody dangerous force . . .
It does indeed. Friday night proved once and for all that we can flag this year.
No excuses, no surrender. Never Say Die Pies!

It does indeed. Friday night proved once and for all that we can flag this year.
No excuses, no surrender. Never Say Die Pies!
We don't rely on individuals as was proven with our best in and under mid out - not to mention number one ruck.

Like Buckley before him Fly teaches 'the process' - a different one to Buckley's but it's essentially the same philosophy.

Learn the process, execute the process, repeat . . if you keep executing the process properly the results will look after themselves.

Sitting in the Warne Stand on Friday night I could easily see the signs held up by our bench and it was incredibly impressive how quickly the team switched our style as soon as the ‘Stop’ sign came out.
One sign we often hold up near the end of the game is a big ‘35’. I’m not sure what that one is. Maybe it’s ‘Trust in Nick Daicos’.
😁

That’s Greg the “stop” sign , This is serious Magpies

The “big 35” is to let the guys know if we win Nick is paying for the dinners after the game , with Josh’s credit card …. Shhhhhh!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That comment by Bucks was unworthy of him and genuinely embarrassing. Whether intentional it demonstrates either an incredible lack of self awareness and judgement or an out of control ego desperate for some of the limelight currently shining on McRae.

I took it to be a job application.

There are two open senior coaching jobs at the moment, and in the next month or two there may be more.

Clarkson is obviously getting one of the coaching gigs. Who will get the other(s)?

Buckley is probably keen to coach again. Fly’s success is making him look bad. How does the board of a footy club convince its members that they’ve got the right senior coach when they’re somebody who coached a list to 4 wins of 12 games when a rookie coach takes much the same list to 15 wins of 20 games the following season?

What Bucks did on Fox Footy is not the way to go about it. The footy media is notorious for scratching each other’s backs. Can’t Buck’s manager find somebody else in the media to talk him up? Managers make stuff up and feed it to the media all the time to make their clients look good. They curry favour with journos. Buckley shouldn’t be debasing himself that way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back