Coach How do we prepare for finals?

Where do you reckon we’ll end up at the end of H&A?

• Home qualifying final

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Away qualifying final

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • Home elimination final

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Some good calls in there, though:

• Headline you'll see: Closest finals race in years: Four teams locked on points in Rd 23
  • NAB AFL Rising Star: Nick Daicos
  • Big call: Essendon's winless September streak to continue
  • Wooden spoon: North Melbourne
  • Moving up: Richmond
  • Set to fall: West Coast
  • When will Buddy kick his 1000th goal? Round two against the Cats, with fans running on to the SCG, bringing back memories of Plugger.

I think starting Jamie in the middle, even if only to move forward immediately, is a bit of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Would need to offset his lead-up ability (maybe if Henry comes in for an injured Hoskin-Elliott?).

Macrae has put in an excellent 4+ weeks in the VFL. Tackling, accumulating, getting clearances and hitting the scoreboard. Knocking down the door!
We need to roll the dice.
It’s time to try out McCrae, IMO.

I think we finish top 3. This game against the Swans is absolutely huge!
No matter how many times we win it seems the next game is always genuinely a must win and a possible knife through the heart if we lose. Exhausting and nerve jangling.

I think starting Jamie in the middle, even if only to move forward immediately, is a bit of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Would need to offset his lead-up ability (maybe if Henry comes in for an injured Hoskin-Elliott?).

I'd like him up forward as much as possible. He's a star forward and a mediocre mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm well aware how this is going to sound, but I feel like 2022 would be a massively anti-climactic season if Collingwood doesn't go on to pinch the flag this year lol. Pinch being the operative word.

Feels like that is what it's building to and I'd be surprised if it's not what the AFL would want deep down. It's something that would generate way more revenue for them and the media outlets.

Would also make for one of the best sporting docos ever made

We prepare by...

Losing to the swans by 30 points as a reality check.
Smashing the blues out of the finals for some belief.
Losing to Geelong by a point first final.
Doing it the hard way to get into the GF.
Beating Geelong in a rousing come from behind victory just like the one against Melbourne.

Sorry, got a bit carried away...

I'm well aware how this is going to sound, but I feel like 2022 would be a massively anti-climactic season if Collingwood doesn't go on to pinch the flag this year lol. Pinch being the operative word.

Feels like that is what it's building to and I'd be surprised if it's not what the AFL would want deep down. It's something that would generate way more revenue for them and the media outlets.

Would also make for one of the best sporting docos ever made
With Ginni for Normy

This is what our depth looks like should we have to deal with injuries:

• Adams (would think he comes in when fit)
  • Ruscoe (has played well this season but getting kept out of the side by players who are playing even better)
  • C.Brown not a fan favorite but versatile and has been named in emergencies in recent weeks
  • Grundy (hasn’t played footy for a long time, new injury setback)
  • Madgen (could fill in for Moore, Mihocek or Johnson if needed)
  • Henry (Behind Johnson and Madgen now IMO. No tank to replace WHE or a wing player)
  • T.Brown (out of favor but has senior experience)
  • Macrae (hasn’t played much senior footy in 2022, but he recently got a contract so clearly in the clubs’s good graces)
  • Poulter (ditto, but without the ‘contract extension’ and ‘good graces’ bit)
  • Chugg (ditto)
  • Kelly (ditto)
  • Begg (ruck depth)
  • Draper (Yet to debut)
  • Harrison (ditto)
  • Murley (ditto)
  • McMahon (ditto)
o'Henry behind Madgen ??? .. LMFAO

o'Henry behind Madgen ??? .. LMFAO

If Mihocek or Johnson got injured, then Henry would be the more talented replacement. But Madgen could do it if called upon.

But what if Moore, Howe, Murphy, Quaynor or even Cameron got injured? Henry simply couldn’t fill those roles at this stage of his career (and maybe never will, who knows?)

Madgen is far far more versatile, which is what puts him above Henry on the depth list IMO.

I’m really hoping we finish top 2 so we avoid Geelong first week. I feel can take any of the other teams on

Be very careful what you wish for …

… Geelong and Collingwood both on 15 straight wins going into a Grand Final?!?

Could your heart take it? I reckon every Collingwood supporter over the age of 60 would become tight ball of stress.

Last edited:
If Mihocek or Johnson got injured, then Henry would be the more talented replacement. But Madgen could do it if called upon.

But what if Moore, Howe, Murphy, Quaynor or even Cameron got injured? Henry simply couldn’t fill those roles at this stage of his career (and maybe never will, who knows?)

Madgen is far far more versatile, which is what puts him above Henry on the depth list IMO.
Versatile? ...Reason Madgen is out of side is he is one of the poorest and slowest decision makers on the list ( if indeed he actually reaches a decision before end of quarter siren sounds) , he is not quick by foot ( or any other appendage) , and there is a reason he has been moved forward in VFL - quite obviously told his days as a defender are over, and only chance of him being retained on list is to make himself a forward - which is n moot because Henry is in front and McStay will push him further out He will remain a good VFL player much like CB and TB.

Versatile? ...Reason Madgen is out of side is he is one of the poorest and slowest decision makers on the list ( if indeed he actually reaches a decision before end of quarter siren sounds) , he is not quick by foot ( or any other appendage) , and there is a reason he has been moved forward in VFL - quite obviously told his days as a defender are over, and only chance of him being retained on list is to make himself a forward - which is n moot because Henry is in front and McStay will push him further out He will remain a good VFL player much like CB and TB.

Nah, Madgen got injured, Murphy took his spot and has held onto it.

Just like Johnson is doing to Henry now.

Sure, Henry has more talent …

… but I see it’s a bit like comparing Buckley and Maxwell. Buckley was obviously the more talented player, but which one was the better Collingwood Captain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach How do we prepare for finals?

Back