Women's football licences to be announced today- who gets in???

Remove this Banner Ad

This is typical AFL stupidity.

Too Melbourne centric & ignoring where the growth in the women's game is.

The teams should be regional and not aligned to clubs. Qld should have three teams, Brisbane, Gold Coast & Townsville/Cairns.
Totally correct, but the financials of a de-linked model would be catastrophic in the short, medium and long term. The administrative duplication that would be required, let alone the travel expense, would be crippling. The AFL can hedge its bets via the existing structure as it can hitch a ride from the existing AFL clubs and structures (and will still lose money hand over fist, albeit it will be able to make ends meet for a few years).

I'd be very, very surprised if rugby has lower female participation rates in QLD than Aussie Rules.
It does in some parts of Queensland.

Also Aussie Rules clubs tend to support their women's teams better than the rugby clubs do.

The teams should be regional and not aligned to clubs. Qld should have three teams, Brisbane, Gold Coast & Townsville/Cairns.

Wouldn't of thought the alignment makes much of a difference. At worst you get from crossover with the aligned clubs fans and then from there it's just building a fan base anyway.

Yup that's the just of it.

Western Vic
Central Vic
Eastern Vic

Those regions would have done the job.

If they were sure of their product and its success. I think they are counting on AFL teams spending some of their own revenue on these clubs since they are aligned. Pretty tough baptism of fire for a Nth Qld team with no alignment. It would be nice to see a team up there eventually though.

Totally correct, but the financials of a de-linked model would be catastrophic in the short, medium and long term. The administrative duplication that would be required, let alone the travel expense, would be crippling. The AFL can hedge its bets via the existing structure as it can hitch a ride from the existing AFL clubs and structures (and will still lose money hand over fist, albeit it will be able to make ends meet for a few years).
Call me skeptical.

You could still align regional clubs with AFL clubs for the purposes of infrastructure.

Access to great facilities immediately. AFL coaches to assist. Carlton in particular have a great learning environment right now. Certainly Kate Jenkins on our board has been a real win so that probably is a connections thing. I note that when the non-traditional pathway zones were announced, Carlton got a smaller, more densely populated zone closer to home that they can pour some resources into. I am just wondering if they were hoping to put work in for male and female prospects.

Certainly we hit the PR circuit hard, held clinics at Princes Park, gained an existing gun player from one of the two exhibition teams in Melbourne and Footscray as an ambassador for our bid. We just built layers into our bid to show how keen we were.

Last year we had the lowest amount of female members in the comp % of membership wise. The effort from that point has been huge. Even got a female mascot to join Captain Carlton.

I'd rather we pay our debts off first before ploughing money into an unknown product.

I'd rather we pay our debts off first before ploughing money into an unknown product.

Spend money to make money.

How many will buy a membership for the women's team because of the alignment? Better still, combine the two and get a higher membership base for the club as a whole.

Most importantly it officially signals the end of the old school boy's club mentality and the embracing of a new family club. Put a dollar value on how much more welcoming we are.

Should not be aligned to any teams, and should not be played in the offseason

need independent teams, 4 in Victoria, 2 in wa and sa, one in each of tassie, nsw and qld
That's a 20 Rd season plus finals, with games played as curtain raisers to AFL games, and following games for the state leagues

Of corse, that would mean the AFL would have to fund it, and actually care about the development of the game, rather then pretending to be "progressive" to generate some positive media, but only creating a sideshow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bulldogs - tick. Groundwork and whole west of Melbourne region

Melbourne - tick Groundwork

Collingwood - tick Northern and Eastern regions

Carlton - WTF? Makes three teams within 5 ks of each other

GWS - WTF? Already costing a fortune to keep them afloat.

Others meh.

No representation for southern and bayside even though it has the highest participation of women footballers in Australia.

Typically stupid AFL. Absolutely incompetent. Couldnt even keep it a secret until 11.00 am.

If they were sure of their product and its success. I think they are counting on AFL teams spending some of their own revenue on these clubs since they are aligned. Pretty tough baptism of fire for a Nth Qld team with no alignment. It would be nice to see a team up there eventually though.
Sponsorship is what the AFL hopes the alignments will bring. Using existing AFL brands to help pay for it.

How much of their own revenue does GWS have to spend on a new team?

So we get a team awesome, plenty of room in the trophy cabinet for them too.

They could realistically get one before the men's team. 8 team comp, only team in WA. Could be strong depending on their marquee choices and if there are zone concessions.

How much of their own revenue does GWS have to spend on a new team?

GWS are a different animal. Their selection is all about winning the hearts and minds of Rugby League supporters in the Western Suburbs of Sydney.

Others are more established and have traditional heartlands and ready to move into facilities.

If Geelong area wasn't ready they should have just awarded 3 licences in Vic to Melbourne, Footscray and St Kilda (you know the club in the bayside area where there is the highest womens participation) and a 2nd WA licence.

Especially seeing as the AFL is already flagging expanding the league in 2018.

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's football licences to be announced today- who gets in???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back