Women's football licences to be announced today- who gets in???

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a bit overhyped for a less than 2 months competition. But I guess it's supposed to be the AFL version of the WBBL.

Nope, the WNBL has a long history built up from grass roots local clubs and competitions. You know your stuff :thumbsu:

Bostonian finding fault with funding something for women, what a shock.

Finding fault in my club wasting money on it when they can't even clear their debt.

Bomberboyokay talking utter crap, what a shock.

We tried that with Carlton Soccer Club and it was an abject failure. I'd rather we not get involved in these ventures and stick to simply ensuring our bottom lines are in the black and we're winning on the field.

I have zero interest in the women's team just as I had zero interest in the soccer team we lent our name too. The friends I go to the football with are of the same mind.

Especially if it's going to be run during Cricket and beach season.

Carlton Soccer Club was ... wait for it ... a soccer club. Supporters of two different codes are not going to align in most cases. It was also a men's team. It did nothing to target a different demographic, just male supporters of the Carlton AFL club that also liked Soccer. This was one occasion where aligning with a team actually hurt our potential for members.

My guess is that the AFL and Carlton will probably continue to make decisions into the future that you and your friends might not be interested in, as long as there are those that are interested in it.

Same as those that oppose Captain Carlton, Navy Nina and hovercrafts. It obviously isn't aimed at you. Are you going to renounce your support of the men's team because these other things exist? Probably the only way anybody will sit up and take notice if the volume of like minded supporters are there.

I was taking about where the clubs were based.
And your point being?

Melb and Dogs started this
Carlton and Collingwood would draw far larger interest, have larger supporter bases and have both shown real eagerness to grow it as much as possible.

It makes sense to give the 2 other Victorian licenses to 2 off Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond.

When Geography is your only selling point in today's footy, then you were never in contention.

Carlton Soccer Club was ... wait for it ... a soccer club. Supporters of two different codes are not going to align in most cases. It was also a men's team. It did nothing to target a different demographic, just male supporters of the Carlton AFL club that also liked Soccer. This was one occasion where aligning with a team actually hurt our potential for members.

My guess is that the AFL and Carlton will probably continue to make decisions into the future that you and your friends might not be interested in, as long as there are those that are interested in it.

Same as those that oppose Captain Carlton, Navy Nina and hovercrafts. It obviously isn't aimed at you. Are you going to renounce your support of the men's team because these other things exist? Probably the only way anybody will sit up and take notice if the volume of like minded supporters are there.

We we'll see how many people turn up to their games then. They'll need 5-10k a game crowds to justify the money and resources we'll be putting into it.

What exactly is the target demographic for women's football though?

Given it's such a low standard who realistically will they expect to come and watch it?

Womens sport is the new "thing" atm. The WBBL was a success, but i feel people are overstating that success. the standalone games were hardly well attended, it was the back to back ones that were. and T/20 league itself is new and fresh, so it was a perfect mix. most importantly, the talent was there after years of ground work. The W league has been played for 5+ years; The WNBL for way longer. both of these were on the tellie. neither really caught on in the same way. Netball will always be netball.

its not a new thing that suddenly people discovered(etc womens sport). WNBA is celebrating 20 years this year. its just that they(soccer, cricket, netball) are slowly becoming more professional in this country. that is slowly improving the product and is helping these women build a career from sports. sure, u still got some Ellyse Perry running around doing multi sports, but she has basically had to drop soccer to concentrate on her cricket career. this professionalism has happened after a long time, and in soccers case, has been pursed by more international reasons(world cup, every country is improving) than domestic.

the massive problem with the AFL is that the talent, unlike all the above, is simply not there atm. the AFL rushing the league to production isnt going to help. nothing is in place for a pro league. you got to build a base before building above it. what is the business plan. what is the end game. how will it complete with the other women sports in talent and eyes, who already have a massive head start and will always have more room to grow, thanks to international opportunities. just throwing money at it wont work. I feel this is a arrogant AFL move for a "cash grab" (though, without the actual direct cash) and a good headline, with no real plans and way too ambitious.

Im more surprised that geelong did not get a license.

Being a regional footy hub and geelong people would get behind it imo.

I am with you, I thought they would go regional. I don't know how strong their regional league is though. They have been given a provisional licence though:

"The other AFL club applicants, Richmond, Geelong, North Melbourne and St Kilda, along with the Eagles, have been granted provisional licences to be part of an expanded women's league in 2018, depending on development of the game in their areas."

Looking forward to it. The more footy the better. I enjoyed the games that were on TV.

This will be interesting. Like a lot of other people, I watched the TV game between Dees and Dogs and found it entertaining.....big novelty factor. My guess is that it won't sustain that level of interest but be interesting to see just what it can sustain. I think the clubs that have pitched and won licenses are very brave.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But that didn't work with soccer, basketball etc

Lot's of participants, very few actual spectators.
It's a pathway to attract girls into the sport.

It's a pretty simple equation for the AFL. Aussie Rules isn't going to grow significantly beyond our borders any time soon. Women's sport internationally is on the rise (with lots of advertising dollars at stake).

If we're going to grow the game in Australia then women's football is the obvious target. It should be the #1 women's sport in the country.

It's a pathway to attract girls into the sport.

It's a pretty simple equation for the AFL. Aussie Rules isn't going to grow significantly beyond our borders any time soon. Women's sport internationally is on the rise (with lots of advertising dollars at stake).

If we're going to grow the game in Australia then women's football is the obvious target. It should be the #1 women's sport in the country.

We're already wasting crap loads on GWS, do we need to waste more on something that will never attract crowds that make it financially viable?

I'm totally agaisnt this model for setting up a women's league, it's too much too soon and will have an adverse affect on how the sport is viewed because you're asking far too much of the players available at this stage to provide a product that's worth people paying money to watch and justifiable in how much it's costing to run.

Putting the cart before the horse on this one.

Sorry I didn't know what some crappy cricket comp was. Can't stand the sport myself. Rather be at the beach.

Funny though, women's football will be competing with women's cricket.

Pure genius.

This starts in February after the WBBL has ended, which I'm sure isn't a coincidence.

Probably most of the televised games will be curtain raisers (or vice versa) for NAB Challenge games.

We we'll see how many people turn up to their games then. They'll need 5-10k a game crowds to justify the money and resources we'll be putting into it.

Given it's such a low standard who realistically will they expect to come and watch it?

For a start, all start up costs are covered by the AFL and we don't need to build new facilities.

As for the rest, I don't know ... what is the target demographic for women's soccer?

The standard will rise as more become interested. What was the standard of football like back in the 1800s? It was a dour arm wrestle with bugger all scoring but the sporting public embraced it and it evolved. You have to start somewhere.

I will watch competitive sports wherever I find it. I enjoy watching women's soccer, basketball, netball, hockey etc etc. I don't hold them to the standard of men's sports, just how they compete with each other. If Carlton's women's team is vastly inferior to the rest of the league, that may be problematic. If a female player can't kick a goal from 60m or get a launch on the shoulders of a pack, I couldn't give a shit.

Some will want to support the comp in its formative stages and be part of history. Some will find any reason they can to throw stones at the concept.

We should write to the club and ask them to ensure that none of your membership dollars are used on an inferior product. If they give the option, I'll gladly sign over some of mine to support the cause. In fact, I'll increase my membership despite not even living in Victoria.

AFL has already publicly stated that the signed up sponsors will mean the women's leagues is a minimum break even proposition.

So why worry about it?

Why is it so hard for men to grasp that it's not about their entertainment, but about creating a pathway for young women to live their sporting dream and showcase their talent?

Liked, quoted, remembered.

I see Andy McKay's 15 year old daughter ran out to represent us at the announcement.

Had me pondering the future Father/Daughter, Mother/Daughter, Mother/Son prospects.

Hmm we weren't even given a provisional license, all the other unsuccessful applicants did. :/

Really?

They said all proposals were very good so can't be that.

Come to think of it, was WA the only non-Victorian state to have 2 teams submit a proposal?

Port didn't did they? Sydney didn't. Gold Coast didn't.

AFL must be hell bent on only allowing one team per state outside of Victoria in the initial stages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's football licences to be announced today- who gets in???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back