Wooden Spoon - an open race?

Remove this Banner Ad

Crows Feet

All Australian
Feb 10, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Obviously Melbourne have a fairly strong grip on the spoon at this stage, but there are a number of teams struggling to get a win at the moment. So, who can seriously challenge the Demons for footy's most unwanted prize?

Freo: Have 'won' the spoon before and haven't shown much this season. They beat the Eagles, but they also treat the derby like it's their grand final.

Eagles: Only the one win so far and have been thrashed twice. May win enough games at home to avoid spooning.

Blues: Broke the duck on the weekend, but rely on too few to get the job done. Fev, Judd and 'Fatty' Stevens can't keep the team up forever.

Port: Yet to win a game. This week against the Eagles might determine which of those two teams is most likely to challenge the Dees.

Swans: Unlikely... but, Hall holds the key to their structure and may be out for a while. This puts a lot of pressure on O'Loughlin who has been plagued by injury in the past.

Richmond: May have shown enough spirit in the game against Freo to suggest they can avoid it, but beating Freo at the moment is like out-running a toddler.

Anyone else?

Unfortunately its looking like us all the way but its only round 4 & things can change but i am putting a positive spin on it,we are not winning the wooden spoon we are securing the first draft pick!

Freo: Have 'won' the spoon before and haven't shown much this season. They beat the Eagles, but they also treat the derby like it's their grand final.

Possible...dare I say tank? Their list blows, too many old recycled players. Could be time to try a mini-rebuild, aim to be Top 8 again when Pav is 29 and the current batch of 19yr olds is hitting the window.

Eagles: Only the one win so far and have been thrashed twice. May win enough games at home to avoid spooning.

Again, could be rebuild time but IMO they've still got too much talent on the list to be bottom four.

Blues: Broke the duck on the weekend, but rely on too few to get the job done. Fev, Judd and 'Fatty' Stevens can't keep the team up forever.

Enough talent to stay off the bottom.

Port: Yet to win a game. This week against the Eagles might determine which of those two teams is most likely to challenge the Dees.

This is a team that got a Grand Final...again, enough talent to stay off the bottom and even challenge for the 8.

Swans: Unlikely... but, Hall holds the key to their structure and may be out for a while. This puts a lot of pressure on O'Loughlin who has been plagued by injury in the past.

See the last three.

Richmond: May have shown enough spirit in the game against Freo to suggest they can avoid it, but beating Freo at the moment is like out-running a toddler.

Only serious challenger, but still have got a lot more than Melbourne.

you're forgetting Adelaide Champ..

No he aint

our next 4 games should see us clear any chance of finishing bottom

Freo Home (playing like crap, but have beaten us when wounded before)
Carlton MCG (Slight danger game if Fev fires)
NM Home (we have won 7 in a row against them i think, shouldnt change at home)
Melbourne Home (well, we did lose to em when they were winless, but can't see it happening)

If we win just 2 out of those 4 (and thats worst case IMO) that puts us on 4 wins, and its only round 8.... with many more games at home there is no way the Crows will get the spoon

Port have only lost to one Victorian team so far.

Freo: they also treat the derby like it's their grand final.

We lifted for our biggest rival and played crap the week after. Dare I say the Crows did the same.

Thats your problem. All games are worth four points. Its a professional code, you need to be up every week and not make excuses about big games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo: they also treat the derby like it's their grand final.

We lifted for our biggest rival and played crap the week after. Dare I say the Crows did the same.

But at least we played a decent side.....Away from home..... You got done by Richmond....by 10 goals.... At home!

Thats your problem. All games are worth four points. Its a professional code, you need to be up every week and not make excuses about big games.

Who is making excuses. I said we played like crap and agree we will be in the bottom 4-8 teams. Just disagree that we are the only team that lift for certain sides. I agree with you its not ideal and one of the reasons we are low on the ladder. But pointing out all sides do it.

Obviously Melbourne have a fairly strong grip on the spoon at this stage, but there are a number of teams struggling to get a win at the moment. So, who can seriously challenge the Demons for footy's most unwanted prize?

Anyone else?

interesting that judd nor stevens both played that well.

As we have seen we no longer rely on these two, instead the likes of murhpy, gibbs, waite, betts, fisher and jamison are starting to stand on there own.

The only trouble I can see is where we would find our goals from if Fev decides not to show up

ahahah coming from a collingwood supporter!! collingwood vs richmond was an equivalent to a BIG MATCH

so was CARLTON VS ESS

but we came back the week after and dominated vs collingwood!

NM Home (we have won 7 in a row against them i think, shouldnt change at home)

Riccuito always kills us, glad he wont be around. We have struggled of late against the Crows because I think we struggled to have a forward structure that could score against a pretty tight crows defense.

As long as we kick straight I think we are in with a pretty good chance to knock you over this year, we tend to travel okay, it has just been the lack of a good enough side to beat teams like Crows and Eagles in recent years, I think both have come back to the field a fair bit recently though.

It will not be the Blues.

You'd have to expect Melbourne, Freo, West Coast would be the frontrunners. Port an outside chance given that they basically have no forwards, but a slip from GFist to spooner has to be a long shot.

I tipped Essendon at the begining of the year and still reckon Essendon is wooden spoon material

They have looked fairly good however as with all teams that have a lot of youth once the spring in there step wears down and the injuries come to the senior guys, which has already happened, no amount of talk about winning culture will get them across the line.

I think we have seen the best of Essendon this year already and from here it is all down hill.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wooden Spoon - an open race?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back