Team Captain
Suspended
Aug 10, 2009
Over the hill......
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Need to buy new hamstrings!!
Seeing us on the bottom of the ladder personally makes me screw my face up and get a little angry.

'IF' we finish bottom we get a lower draft pick, but I'm not sure i can stomach us getting a wooden spoon to achieve this lower selection. Dennis Pagan said a draw felt like 'you're dancing with your sister'. I'm feeling the common sence side of it, yes we get a better draft pick, BUT recieving our first 'spoon' makes me feel a tad sick.

I'm still not sure personally what i would like to see happen. I understand it's out of our hands, but if you had a crystal ball, what way would you go...................................

Seeing us on the bottom of the ladder personally makes me screw my face up and get a little angry.

'IF' we finish bottom we get a lower draft pick, but I'm not sure i can stomach us getting a wooden spoon to achieve this lower selection. Dennis Pagan said a draw felt like 'you're dancing with your sister'. I'm feeling the common sence side of it, yes we get a better draft pick, BUT recieving our first 'spoon' makes me feel a tad sick.

I'm still not sure personally what i would like to see happen. I understand it's out of our hands, but if you had a crystal ball, what way would you go...................................

I'm completely sure on this one. I hate the thought of the spoon - who cares about draft picks. We picked up Judd at 3, it turned out to be better than 1 and 2. We also picked up Mcdougall pretty high in the draft and what a waste that was. My point is ya never know what ya gonna get. This year everyone is raving about Bennell that's great, but they did the same for numerous players in previous drafts that never fired a shot.
Hate the spoon!

Im almost as proud of our club for the fact we haven't won a spoon as I am of our 3 premierships. There is no way in hell I ever want us to finish last.

**** the higher pick... we are more likely to choose a WA guy than other clubs... we could get the same player with pick 5 as we would have with pick 4 anyway.

The folks voting for the spoon should be ashamed of themselves. If you are paid up members, hand in your membership cards. You are a disgrace and don't deserve to be called a fan.

I hope we win the spoon. i would much rather get a higher pick. You do know that the spoon doesn't really exist. This is about the future better pick mean better chance at a better talent.

FU

A poorly constructed poll.

the third option should be - develop the team as best we can this year and compete asa hard as awe can each game. attach no emotional attachment to 15 or 16th place and make the best use of the draft picks we get.

Im almost as proud of our club for the fact we haven't won a spoon as I am of our 3 premierships. There is no way in hell I ever want us to finish last.

**** the higher pick... we are more likely to choose a WA guy than other clubs... we could get the same player with pick 5 as we would have with pick 4 anyway.

why get emotional and then blow a draft pick on geographic prejudice.

take the best AFL player available, regardless of where they live.

why get emotional and then blow a draft pick on geographic prejudice.

take the best AFL player available, regardless of where they live.

No emotion in it at all. How do you select "the best player"? Its pretty subjective.

Player A is rated just as good as Player B. Player A is from Melbourne. Player B is from Perth.

Say Richmond does get the spoon... which player are they going to select?
Say we win the spoon... which player would we select?

Or we can take it from another angle. Richmond think they have some decent mids and really want a ruckman. We have decent ruckmen but really want mids. Player A is a ruckman and Player B is a mid. Richmond would take A, we would take B - regardless of who finished last.

Reaching position 15 will be like climbing a mountain twice the height of Everest. This team of mainly second rate, overpaid plodders will take us to the enevitable, which is an insult to the history of our once great club.

15th place is the best possible outcome for us this year IMO
Agree. Only result remotely achievable above 16th.
I dunno when the tanking claims are gonna start, are we tanking or are we actually playing??...:confused:
LOL. no-one could accuse us of tanking LOL:D

No spoon. VERY happy with the fact we don't own a 'imaginary' spoon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A poorly constructed poll.

the third option should be - develop the team as best we can this year and compete asa hard as awe can each game. attach no emotional attachment to 15 or 16th place and make the best use of the draft picks we get.

Well ***k me, my apologies for the poorly constructed poll that you felt the need to comment on.

I tell you what thread champion, i'll get one of the mods to scrub the thread and you can grace us with the perfect one?

While you're bunging shit on my sub standard thread, check your post before hitting the send button. What are those poorly constructed words i've bolded in your post?

As for your answer, it is a simple answer, not blah blah blah. Getting the spoon is emotional, because my emotions will take a huge kick in the guts if we get it.

In my opinion we'll finish in 16th spot, whether I like it or not. If I had it my way I'd have us finish 15th and get a lower pick but realistically Richmond are actually a better team than us right now.

On the other hand, although I'll be extremely dissapointed and embarrassed if we get the spoon, it will hopefully come as a wake up call to the club and I think that's exactly what is needed. I voted the spoon option, but not for the reason of obtaining a higher pick.

I hope we win the spoon. i would much rather get a higher pick. You do know that the spoon doesn't really exist. This is about the future better pick mean better chance at a better talent.

FU

I can't do it. I don't mind the selection committee playing youth over experience (which might RESULT in losses). But once the side is selected, and the players head onto the field, I want them to win every game.

Every.

Damn.

Game.

I don't care how "the system" works. The moment you let the players know that losing is acceptable, you're degrading the club culture. The thing that drives a really great team like Geelong (and previously Brisbane) is an overwhelming, insatiable hunger to win games.

Seriously, any fans that think it's acceptable to let this sort of cancerous thinking creep into our club should just **** off now. You don't belong.

The difference between 15th and 16th is pick 4 vrs pick 6. Thats not worth acquiring a spoon for.

The only real positive in a spoon is that it would make it harder for Nisbett to get away with scapegoating and sacking a few assistant coaches and passing it off as evidence of the club making strong decisions and taking action and telling us all the problems are solved because he sacked these assistants. As it has already been well and truly flagged that that is what he is planning to try and do. A spoon might mean that powers at the club force him at actually acknowledge and confront the problems.

The folks voting for the spoon should be ashamed of themselves. If you are paid up members, hand in your membership cards. You are a disgrace and don't deserve to be called a fan.

I'm pro spoon and I'm not ashamed. There's more to me wanting the Eagles to get the spoon than the best draft pick available. A spoon IMO would force changes at the club, and might wake them up, instead of of giving them the false belief that things are tracking along well enough.

I do not want a reapeat of the false dawn of last year. I doubt any WC fan wants more misguided nonsense spewing forth from Woosha about finals when it's obviously clear that it's out of reach.

I want to see development in the kids, while they're playing in their correct position, not Worsfold desperately maneuvering things amongst the team just to keep his job.
Things at present smack of self preservation, not that of a long term team oriented plan.
There must be change!

At present Woosha is running 2 different plans. 1 is playing enough kids to say that he's getting games into them and trying to develop them. That would be great, if it weren't for playing those kids out of their correct and preferred position.
2 is proceeding with his intended game plan which is either unfathomable to players and fans alike or non existent. Either way, he continues with a plodder midfield, playing seniors who're out of form for the experience or their photography skills.

It's hard to rate Woosha's coaching when it's been all over the shop. Except the fact that good fruit hasn't been produced by whatever plan he's tried to implement.

I think his coaching may have become stale at the club. Players and coaches alike are apathetic because they're in their comfort zone.
The club needs a shake up. It needs a new coach who's going to make some tough decisions and put everyone on edge and playing for their futures again, because it may be a bit too matey down there and the fear they had to perform well or else is gone.

I wouldn't have minded if we had got the spoon last year... we would receive picks 1 and 3 - i.e. Scully & Martin/Morabito.

Our midfield would be well on its way if we tanked at the right time.
More like Scully/trengove and Martin (ie. Martin >>>>>> Morabito) *drools*. Having said that, I agree with the previously expressed sentiments that intentionally tanking whereby the players are instructed that losing is acceptable/the aim is just disgraceful. Sometimes the thought creeps into my head that I wouldn't mind if we finished last or that I even want us to so we might have a chance of getting Bennell, but as soon as the game starts all that goes away and I want us to win and play with as much desperation and hunger as possible.

Don't think tanking is the issue atm. Clearly the worst team in the competition and will struggle to win any more games this year. Tomorrow is one of a few chances, but Adelaide are rightly favourites. Obviously if you had a choice between having pick 4 or pick 6 (leaving aside other factors) you'd take pick 4. But this is not the main issue. As others have pointed out above, finishing last may be the indignity that helps to bring the club to its senses, and realise that things aren't going along as sweetly as they would like to think. But the indications are that even this won't do it, answers are already being worked out, and there will have to be even more pain, like being in this situation again at this time next year. Then maybe Worsfold's contract won't be renewed, or he might even offer his resignation. Very hard to see any improvement under the present regime. Philosophy seems to be "get enough experience into the younger players and things will just change as a matter of course", but I think it's got to be more pro-active than that. There has to be a plan, and I, for one, can't see one. Otherwise it's just blind hope and I think this is what it is.

Almost everything that comes out of Worsfold's mouth is upsetting to me at the moment. The comments he has made several times about how winning spoons is O.K. with him and that it's only an ego issue and more or less implying that only uneducated angry football yobbos object to their clubs winning spoons are disgraceful. It's an obvious attempt to butter up the supporter base and prepare the ground for if and when it's confirmed that we have won the spoon this year. They are trying to condition the media and public to expect it and not react when it happens or expect a reaction from teh club when it happens. It's almost a concession from them that we are going to win it.

How about showing some fighting resolve? How about talking about pride and self respect? How about showing some acknowledgement of the loyalty of members who pay his $1m wages bill and still roll up every week to sit through the uncompetitive tripe his team puts out? How about showing some sensitivity to them and convincing them that the team is trying as hard as it can not to win the spoon and embarass and humiliate us? No, not from Worsfold. We get the typical arrogant conceited bulll**** that the people running the club don't care if we win a spoon and don't plan to change anything and they don't care if the supporters aren't happy about a spoon either.

I would rather Chris Connolly than Worsfold as coach at the moment.

You're a star.

Chris Connolly > Dean Bailey :thumbsu:

I'm torn to be honest. Winning the spoon would be terrible for the club but we have been playing so shit this season I think we deserve it. Richmond can win 7-8 games I think and I can't see us winning that much. Melbourne are in a similar position to us with some talent but with a weak coach but will manage a few more wins for the year. If Harley Bennell drops to no.4 well that would be great for us he looks like a sensation. The game against Adelaide will tell us a lot tomorrow, whether or not the boys are still interested.

Remove this Banner Ad

Wooden Spoon V Lower draft selection?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back