World Baseball Classic 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one slightly miffed at the WBC’s tiebreakers? The first tiebreaker is head to head, so if Cuba and Italy finished top 2 and no one else in their group had the same record, we would have played Italy as they beat Cuba. The second tiebreaker came into effect as all 5 teams in that group had 2-2 records and now they go off “runs against“ to determine the top 2 places. Cuba had 15 runs against and Italy had 17 runs against (the other 3 teams had more runs against), so we play Cuba.

IMO, it makes more sense to still do it “runs against” (if 3 or more teams have identical records) but then also do head to head for the top 2, with the lowest “runs against“, since head to head is the first tiebreaker. So Italy would finish 1st despite having more runs against. Not sure why Italy get penalised just because more teams had the same record. Probably Aussie bias on my part.

Am I the only one slightly miffed at the WBC’s tiebreakers? The first tiebreaker is head to head, so if Cuba and Italy finished top 2 and no one else in their group had the same record, we would have played Italy as they beat Cuba. The second tiebreaker came into effect as all 5 teams in that group had 2-2 records and now they go off “runs against“ to determine the top 2 places. Cuba had 15 runs against and Italy had 17 runs against (the other 3 teams had more runs against), so we play Cuba.

IMO, it makes more sense to still do it “runs against” (if 3 or more teams have identical records) but then also do head to head for the top 2, with the lowest “runs against“, since head to head is the first tiebreaker. So Italy would finish 1st despite having more runs against. Not sure why Italy get penalised just because more teams had the same record. Probably Aussie bias on my part.

so in other words you want to play Italy and not cuba 🤣

I love how much togetherness there is in the WBC. The Czech manager tipping his cap to his reliever. At the moment, Canada’s 19 year old starter is seriously struggling against the US, the catcher comes out to calm him down with a smile, then the manager comes out to have a nice conversation with him and the way Freeman was looking at the kid spoke volumes about Freddie’s character and good nature. Down 3-0, 1 out, and he hasn’t been removed. Love it!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back