Remove this Banner Ad

dasler

Club Legend
Jul 9, 2003
Australia
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Worsfold unfazed by Port’s performance
Posted Mar 31, 2004 - 18:55 PM (Footygoss Website)
By Angela Beaney

With one tough win under their belt the Eagles have put their glory behind them and are fully focused for their heavyweight clash against Port Adelaide at Subiaco Oval.

A bittersweet bonus for the Eagles this week is that as Drew Banfield is omitted from the team due to injury, Daniel Kerr will return from his week long suspension. Banfield’s injury opens up the door for other younger small midfielders to come into the team like Mark Nikoski and Beau Waters who impressed in pre season.

Worsfold has a reason to be wary of Port Adelaide as in the past they have taken a physical approach to tackling the Eagles. He regards this as purely a diversionary tactic and encourages the Eagles to remain focused on the game instead of getting drawn into Port’s physicality.

Port has re jigged it’s midfield losing a couple of valuable players forcing some of their second tier players stand up. It should make the Eagles guess a little bit when it comes to matchup’s and would lead anybody to believe that Port aren't as strong as last year, but this isn’t the case and Worsfold is well aware of the threat their current midfield poses.

After last weeks 7 goal haul from the boot of Jade Rawlings the Eagles will face a similar situation in Warren Tredrea. Worsfold isn’t worried by his inexperienced defense facing yet another big target as he has several options in Lynch, Carroll, Jackovich, or even considering Jaymie Graham to move into the Eagles defensive unit.

As to where Jackovich will line up Worsfold is still keeping his options open backing his veteran to play wherever he is needed. A possibility for Jackovich is that he will line up against 100 gamer Chad Cornes.

After last weeks thrashing of Essendon, West Coast had better be on the ball because Port has proven at this early stage of the season that they are up to the standard of last season.

Jaymie had 6 kicked on him by Brendan Fewster, imagine the damage an inform Tredrea would do.

If footygoss ever want to be considered a reputable source of info, then perhaps they can get the spelling of players names right.....

Personally I shudder at the thought of Jako playing on either Tredrea or Cornes, or in fact any of Port's forwards

Incidentally, one thing I was really happy to see on CH 10 news was Woosha backing Doogs after his pretty poor game against the dogs- We need to give him a chance to develop this year regardless of his form from week to week, so its good to know the coaching staff are going to let him string some games together

Surely big Lynch must have first crack at Tredrea,hes the only one I think in the team who can match him for height and weight and hopefully speed.
I thought Cornes was playing back last week?-If he does again I think Jako could be a good match up.....run to the right area's to create space for others and hopefully keep cornhead out of the play.

Will be good to see Kerr back as well.

I hope you play Jako, he's always good value.

Nah I reckon what we've got to do is play the same tactics as Port did to us last year. We've gotta be mean, gotta be nasty, got to be hungry. Hopefully after a quarter or two of that they'll be scared ****less and let us have our way with them!

Primus some chance, Wakelin no chance. It'll depend on how worried we are about Gardiner's influence as to whether we'll bring Matt back - if it was a final, he'd play.

My personal guess is that we'll try to tag your playmakers out of existence so the ruck won't be quite so important.

Originally posted by jod23
Should be a good game but Im expecting a win seen as we are at home.

I'd tend to agree. The major positive, as I see it for Port, is that the game will be played at night. Port are always more competitive at night when playing in WA. Of course this depends on whether Port arrive switched on. If they are, I can see Port holding on to a 3 goal lead, but if they are not I can see it becoming a shootout with WC wining by 5-6 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Worsfold unfazed by Port’s performance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back