Worst act in football

Remove this Banner Ad

sante said:
and who may this be.......

He's only young yet, but at the Tigers footy clinics they all asked his name & one of the trainers wrote it down, said they will be keeping an eye on him, he playes like Mark Harvey, he will be a gun. :D

leonmagic said:
Speaking of friendly fire, Jarrod Molloy cleaning up Tarks a couple of years ago V's Essendon was nasty stuff...

He was out for about 5 hours.

Harley's Knee vs Corey Enright's Jaw earlier this year is probably worth a mention on that front. Seven minutes into Corey's comeback game from a shoulder injury too!

He's only young yet, but at the Tigers footy clinics they all asked his name & one of the trainers wrote it down, said they will be keeping an eye on him, he playes like Mark Harvey, he will be a gun.

Okay then, if he is good he can come to Tigerland :)

To the topic though, Jason Snell's injury when he broke his leg and ankle or whatever....ended his career.

Matthews hands down. Behind play, blindsided Bruns, terrible.

Dave Granger blindsided Twiggy Caldwell in the SANFL in the early 80's that put Caldwell in hospital. I recall reading that he got released from hospital but had to remain in the dark and bed ridden because of the damage done to his brain. He had vicious migraines that eventually subsided but not completely.

Kicking or biting would be close to the worst things that could be done on field.

I remember Lewis from WCE biting Viney - unsure if it was proven but that sort of thing is not on in footy. Leave that to Rugby League. :p

gadj1976 said:
I remember Lewis from WCE biting Viney - unsure if it was proven but that sort of thing is not on in footy. Leave that to Rugby League. :p
Not sure which was worse,Filandia and his ball biting or the fingers up the bum.

Great thread.

Matthew Knights - Liberatore.

Ive skipped the last 40 or so posts so it may have been mentioned, but the Collingwood Army Reserves player who jumped the fence and went a spectator.

I can see the vision clearly, as well as the commentators comments, which were bloody hilarious.

Robbie Muirs haymaker on the boundry at Moorabin.

Lynch trying to fight in 04 GF was so funny it was sad.

RFC 1983-2004.

Yeates on Brereton 89 GF... But actually cemented Dermott as one of the very elite in the history of the game.

tara said:
To all those who suggested Lockett on caven you a all a bunch of complete w a n k e r s. Lockett led hard and had eyes on the ball. Just because of his reputation of being rough the C's of the AFL thru the book at him. I feel for Caven but football is a rough game and if you dont have the balls to play it ******** off. That act was neither pre meditated no deliberate.
Does anyone really think Caven gives a ******** now he was a medicore player who ended up with a premership medallion because of luck.
There should be no suggestion of Caven not having the balls to play the game. He came back from the injury and never took a backward step, was a great servant of the Adelaide FC, won 2 premiership medallions and was one of the best on ground in the 1998 GF, holding Carey to a very average game. This was a lot more than luck, he was a good player (which all teams need) who provided constant run off the backline, good team leadership and who deserved his success. I agree that Lockett's hit was not designed to inflict the injuries that it did, but he could have braced his shoulder and turned to the side or fended him off with an open hand, there was no need or justification for lifting the elbow. Karma saw Caven get 2 medals and enjoy the ultimate success, while Lockett finished without the ultimate team prize.

Carey and Kelli Stevens

cheers

Side Note: personally Lockett and Caven incident, blown way out of proportion, hardly worst act in football, never a pretty sight when a MACK truck hits a mini at full speed. Feel terrible for pete.
In Williams v. Umpire Coates, What AFL did was a disgrace, more so to their senior umpire. Heard his testimony, where he said at no time did he feel threatened or not in control, then gave 9 weeks. Obviously AFL saying to Coates, had no idea what he was talking about, now thats a kick in the teeth!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PowerKop said:
Thug Bickley's elbow on Wakelin, that broke his jaw at a crucial time of the season. Absolutely disgraceful act by a player who always seemed to enjoy taking cheap shots in shwodowns, from the first ever showdown played, when he unfairly took out Wangas in the first quarter. That is honestly the worsed thing i've seen on a footy ground.

I now await a number of references to David Grainger from Crwos supporters

Your a ********er, who the ******** are ypou to accuse Bickley of taking cheap chots. Have a look on ur own backyard. Do the names Pickett and Harwdick ring a bell?

I'm pretty sure no one has mentioned Chris Lewis yet. I have the Biffs, Bumps and Brawlers DVD and they have a segment on him. Some of them included:

- Spitting in Greg Williams' face and getting the free kick when Williams retaliated.

- Pinching David King all game while tagging him.

- Pushing a Bears player into the fence when the ball was out of bounds.

- Jumping into a player that had taken the mark with his knees. Didn't have eyes on ball and didn't even bother to try and disguise it and put his hans up.

Most of these aren't vicious but just dirty little cheap shots but could cause serious injury.

The worst act was Carlton's Wayne Johnston breaking Gubby Allan's jaw behind the play in the Carlton Collingwood Grand Final. Absolute dog.

PowerKop said:
I now await a number of references to David Grainger from Crwos supporters

His cheap shots and truely pathetic onfield/off field antics could have there very own thread, but who really cares about a little man in a small pond?

wooshta_9 said:
Your a ********er, who the ******** are ypou to accuse Bickley of taking cheap chots. Have a look on ur own backyard. Do the names Pickett and Harwdick ring a bell?

Bickleys was real cheap shot , something he apologised immediately for and no doubt still regrets doing. Although I remember when Rehn did his knee against Port and sitting amongst a pile of Port supporters laughing at him really told me alot about there mental states.

tara said:
To all those who suggested Lockett on caven you a all a bunch of complete w a n k e r s. Lockett led hard and had eyes on the ball. Just because of his reputation of being rough the C's of the AFL thru the book at him. I feel for Caven but football is a rough game and if you dont have the balls to play it ******** off. That act was neither pre meditated no deliberate.
Does anyone really think Caven gives a ******** now he was a medicore player who ended up with a premership medallion because of luck.

You are kidding right? I mean seriously ? have you actually seen the incident? So it was a fair lead? just remind us how long his holiday after that was?

raboyle said:
Port fans may need to help me on this one... the 1984 SANFL Grand Final vs. Norwood.

An all-in-brawl that erupted before the game had even started?

Remember Laurie Argent (field umpire) standing between Craig Balme and Tim Evans during the national anthem. Phantastic Phisticuffs!

The Steven Sims hit in the 91(?) GF v West Adelaide was a lowlight too.

Worst act in football? Hmm...tough one. Can't split 'em either.

Lloyd or Wanganeen's weekly diving exhibitions would have the be the worst acting in AFL footy. ;)

There are a few evil acts, usually from blokes whio don't deserve the respect they've since been accorded.

Jack Dyer was famous for crunching little blokes, he had a few dog-acts to his name.

Jim O'Dea is a name that will live in infamy.

Mal Brown hit an umpire, he was a low form of life and deserves no respect.

John Worsfold dishonoured the Eagles jumper many times, a foul player in a hard fair team.

However I reckon the worst effort is:

The AFL for knifing Fitzroy. They could've saved them, the way they saved the Swans (twice). Also for trying to knife Footscray-well done the Dogs of 89.

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst act in football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back