Worst AFL ground?

Worst afl ground?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If Kardinia or the Gabba are the worst grounds in the AFL - and I am obviously pretty intimately familiar with both - then **** me dead, we have some pretty good facilities in the AFL.

I remember as a kid in the 90s, being driven for 90 minutes across Melbourne to the middle of ****ing nowhere, parking the Commodore in the muddy middle of the other 568 Commodores, walking another fifteen minutes to our bench seat, learning that “undercover” was a cop rather than a ticket while getting drenched. You’d need a telescope to see the footy, but no worries if you missed a goal - you could catch up via the finest Sepia video on the planet. Nan could usually polish off the Cryptic while waiting to get out of the carpark, then it’s just another 90 tp get back home.

Ahhhh Waverley. What a shithole.

Last edited:

Oh well if there’s skyscrapers around it must be awesome 😂😂😂

It’s just nice to have places to go pre and post game when stadiums are in a city. Nice restaurants etc.

There’s only so many people you can fit in the local pub down at Geelong.

Oh well if there’s skyscrapers around it must be awesome 😂😂😂

It’s just nice to have places to go pre and post game when stadiums are in a city. Nice restaurants etc.

There’s only so many people you can fit in the local pub down at Geelong.
It's a really underrated point, and something I love about going to the footy at the G or the Gabba, compared to Kardinia or Metricon.

If I'm going to the Gabba, there's a couple of great established locations within a stone's throw of the ground. The German Club is probably the best, but there's a heap of others along Logan Road, plus Brisbane Brewing Co up near the Mater. This is one of the big reasons I hope they re-do the Gabba instead of moving to Vic Park.

Kardinia Park and it’s not even close.

Country ground
Mangled dimensions
No capacity
It’s Victoria’s Norwood Oval. And is a disgrace.

Props to the Catters though for continually grifting the Victorian tax payers to pay for their sham redevelopments and scoreboards etc.
I've got to ask. Have you been to GMHBA? If so when? It can't have been recently coz you say its got "no capacity". GMHBA now holds 40,000 people. Its oldest grandstand is 15 years old and the newest is 12 months old. For the spectator it is easily one of the best grounds now as you are so close to the action, and the facilities are top class.

Half the posters bitching about the ground have NEVER been to it, or seem to think its shape is something new when in fact it has been more or less the same for over 80 years!!! These posters latch onto the "Oh, its got no wings" or "Its too narrow". Last time I checked the best football is corridor football and GMHBA lends itself to that.

This thread is nothing but a veiled "lets get stuck into Geelong" thread by a poster whose sole reason for posting on this board is to obsess about Geelong. Proof? 93.7% of his posts are about Geelong...

I actually liked the match day experience at GMHBA but I can't overlook the wonky shaped ground.

Etihad is a close second. Just lacks atmosphere and the match day experience is pretty poor. Think the staff just aren't paid enough to give a shit and fair enough.

Gabba viewing is good in the upper and the steeper 2nd tier stands in the middle. Definitely not a bad stadium though. Really loud and location is really good.
The major issue from my point of view is the ingress/egress, and of course disability and fire code compliance. The rest of it is good, from a Regular Joe kind of point of view, and will only get better when the rail station is done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got to ask. Have you been to GMHBA? If so when? It can't have been recently coz you say its got "no capacity". GMHBA now holds 40,000 people. Its oldest grandstand is 15 years old and the newest is 12 months old. For the spectator it is easily one of the best grounds now as you are so close to the action, and the facilities are top class.

Half the posters bitching about the ground have NEVER been to it, or seem to think its shape is something new when in fact it has been more or less the same for over 80 years!!! These posters latch onto the "Oh, its got no wings" or "Its too narrow". Last time I checked the best football is corridor football and GMHBA lends itself to that.

This thread is nothing but a veiled "lets get stuck into Geelong" thread by a poster whose sole reason for posting on this board is to obsess about Geelong. Proof? 93.7% of his posts are about Geelong...

Nah I don’t own an off road car so haven’t made the trek down to Geelong.

Would you look at that, the perfect fit. I wonder what shapes the other grounds can make.

View attachment 2129948
We can confirm the Gabba is not shaped like a wooden spoon, it's a little more exotic but perfectly shaped for a wooden ladle. Whilst technically still a wooden spoon, it's worth noting the distinction in shape.

gabba-aflfinals23-seating-map.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst AFL ground?

Back