Worst AFL ground?

Worst afl ground?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh well if there’s skyscrapers around it must be awesome 😂😂😂

It’s just nice to have places to go pre and post game when stadiums are in a city. Nice restaurants etc.

There’s only so many people you can fit in the local pub down at Geelong.

Oh well if there’s skyscrapers around it must be awesome 😂😂😂

It’s just nice to have places to go pre and post game when stadiums are in a city. Nice restaurants etc.

There’s only so many people you can fit in the local pub down at Geelong.
It's a really underrated point, and something I love about going to the footy at the G or the Gabba, compared to Kardinia or Metricon.

If I'm going to the Gabba, there's a couple of great established locations within a stone's throw of the ground. The German Club is probably the best, but there's a heap of others along Logan Road, plus Brisbane Brewing Co up near the Mater. This is one of the big reasons I hope they re-do the Gabba instead of moving to Vic Park.

Kardinia Park and it’s not even close.

Country ground
Mangled dimensions
No capacity
It’s Victoria’s Norwood Oval. And is a disgrace.

Props to the Catters though for continually grifting the Victorian tax payers to pay for their sham redevelopments and scoreboards etc.
I've got to ask. Have you been to GMHBA? If so when? It can't have been recently coz you say its got "no capacity". GMHBA now holds 40,000 people. Its oldest grandstand is 15 years old and the newest is 12 months old. For the spectator it is easily one of the best grounds now as you are so close to the action, and the facilities are top class.

Half the posters bitching about the ground have NEVER been to it, or seem to think its shape is something new when in fact it has been more or less the same for over 80 years!!! These posters latch onto the "Oh, its got no wings" or "Its too narrow". Last time I checked the best football is corridor football and GMHBA lends itself to that.

This thread is nothing but a veiled "lets get stuck into Geelong" thread by a poster whose sole reason for posting on this board is to obsess about Geelong. Proof? 93.7% of his posts are about Geelong...

I actually liked the match day experience at GMHBA but I can't overlook the wonky shaped ground.

Etihad is a close second. Just lacks atmosphere and the match day experience is pretty poor. Think the staff just aren't paid enough to give a shit and fair enough.

Gabba viewing is good in the upper and the steeper 2nd tier stands in the middle. Definitely not a bad stadium though. Really loud and location is really good.
The major issue from my point of view is the ingress/egress, and of course disability and fire code compliance. The rest of it is good, from a Regular Joe kind of point of view, and will only get better when the rail station is done.

I've got to ask. Have you been to GMHBA? If so when? It can't have been recently coz you say its got "no capacity". GMHBA now holds 40,000 people. Its oldest grandstand is 15 years old and the newest is 12 months old. For the spectator it is easily one of the best grounds now as you are so close to the action, and the facilities are top class.

Half the posters bitching about the ground have NEVER been to it, or seem to think its shape is something new when in fact it has been more or less the same for over 80 years!!! These posters latch onto the "Oh, its got no wings" or "Its too narrow". Last time I checked the best football is corridor football and GMHBA lends itself to that.

This thread is nothing but a veiled "lets get stuck into Geelong" thread by a poster whose sole reason for posting on this board is to obsess about Geelong. Proof? 93.7% of his posts are about Geelong...

Nah I don’t own an off road car so haven’t made the trek down to Geelong.

I love how so many posters confidently declare GMHBA the worst stadium but then admit "Well, I've never actually been there...It's just the vibe". It's a bit like someone saying they don't like London or Paris, but they've never been there.

What time of year?

Manuka in the dead of winter would win this hands down.
Ballarat too!

The OP hasn't heard of Manuka or Carrara, hence they're not included in the poll

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The dimensions actually have nothing to do with why I dislike the ground haha.
It's why I don't like SCG. Everything else about it is okay, although I hasten to add it's a ground I haven't been to

Boy oh boy, how was I 99.99999% sure that Kardinia Park (affectionately known as 'Cheat Ground' by non Geelong fans) would win this poll before I even clicked on the thread? lulz

On the contrary is one of the best as it's one of the oldest footy grounds and therefore has that Mecca vibe that only be rivaled by the MCG.

If Kardinia or the Gabba are the worst grounds in the AFL - and I am obviously pretty intimately familiar with both - then **** me dead, we have some pretty good facilities in the AFL.

I remember as a kid in the 90s, being driven for 90 minutes across Melbourne to the middle of ****ing nowhere, parking the Commodore in the muddy middle of the other 568 Commodores, walking another fifteen minutes to our bench seat, learning that “undercover” was a cop rather than a ticket while getting drenched. You’d need a telescope to see the footy, but no worries if you missed a goal - you could catch up via the finest Sepia video on the planet. Nan could usually polish off the Cryptic while waiting to get out of the carpark, then it’s just another 90 tp get back home.

Ahhhh Waverley. What a shithole.
meh

It would take less than a 5 minute drive to get to Waverley from where I generally lived. Could not care less if filth from the Western or the Northern suburbs whinged about finding it difficult to get to.

Shame the AFL suits got rid of it, all just for the sake of greed.

It would take less than a 5 minute drive to get to Waverley from where I generally lived
Oh, sorry, we should evaluate 70,000 seat infrastructure based on Where RandyZany Lived. Apologies

Or because it was pretty roundly derided as a failure, and better replaced by a central option.

I played state league in Qld as well as a few under 18's curtain raisers at the Gabba. It is hard as a rock and takes the toll on calves and hamstrings so no wonder so many lions players went down with injuries over the last few seasons as I don't think it's changed much in 20+ years. Hence why they used the main oval at Coorparoo for so many years. Much more body friendly

Oh, sorry, we should evaluate 70,000 seat infrastructure based on Where RandyZany Lived. Apologies

Or because it was pretty roundly derided as a failure, and better replaced by a central option.

From what I last heard the South East is (Monash council) the epicentre of Melbourne's popoulation. Could have changed since I guess. And if you don't mind getting to the MCG from locations besides the South East, then it's just a 10 minute drive down the Monash, it's really not that hard

I really don't get those that complain about traveling a futher 15km (maybe they're unaware of the Monash freeway and silly enough to venture down Princes Highway or some other heavily congested regular road to get to Waverley) down and calling the middle of 'nowhere'.

I think that description suits most suburbs out in the West and North (the international airport is about the only essential relevant infrastructure out there) from my point of view of course; places that I seldom have a need to visit nor want to. lulz

From what I last heard the South East is (Monash council) the epicentre of Melbourne's popoulation. Could have changed since I guess. And if you don't mind getting to the MCG from locations besides the South East, then it's just a 10 minute drive down the Monash, it's really not that hard
The population centroid is actually in Glen Iris, and moving slightly back to the west :)

But the major issue with the location is that we don't measure commutes in distance, we measure them in time. And getting to the MCG is easy because you can either catch the train to Richmond/Jolimont, or even walk from the city. Getting to Waverley - particularly on a busy day - took far, far longer than that, as most people had to drive.

If you can get from the MCG to Waverley in 10 minutes, especially on a match day, then you must own Santa's sleigh, by the way.

To me Giants showgrounds is the worst of all.
they do not have any faclitites there and is really basic and only has a few bathrooms and just has nothing for the fan there.
Not really near the main area of homebush either and a good 15-20 min walk from the train station there.
Poorly arranged and only got 2 small enter points.
Was there round zero this year v Pies and nothing but ques and cramped style.
the ground itself is all sandy as well.
Not a fan.
tin pot place where you would watch livestock parade around.
Another ground thats bad is Ikon park Blues home ground but more AFLW there then AFL.
Has no feel there and boring as.
Its like half cooked type of place and pretty sterile.

Did you take a train to Homebush?

The Showgrounds Stadium is in Olympic Park. There’s a train station 2 minutes from the arena.

Hard disagree on this one; it’s a great ground to watch footy at and the Giants have done a great job with the game day experience there. Unlike you I found it to have plenty of bathrooms and the food facilities were more varied than what you’d get at most other AFL grounds, which is no mean feat for a small stadium.

Pains me to say it but I’d take Giants stadium over the SCG any day.

You can have it buddy. Only about 10-15km west of the best cricket ground in the country! 😂

If Kardinia or the Gabba are the worst grounds in the AFL - and I am obviously pretty intimately familiar with both - then **** me dead, we have some pretty good facilities in the AFL.

I remember as a kid in the 90s, being driven for 90 minutes across Melbourne to the middle of ****ing nowhere, parking the Commodore in the muddy middle of the other 568 Commodores, walking another fifteen minutes to our bench seat, learning that “undercover” was a cop rather than a ticket while getting drenched. You’d need a telescope to see the footy, but no worries if you missed a goal - you could catch up via the finest Sepia video on the planet. Nan could usually polish off the Cryptic while waiting to get out of the carpark, then it’s just another 90 tp get back home.

Ahhhh Waverley. What a shithole.
You forgot how you could only see players on the other side of the ground from the knees up because of the camber.

meh

It would take less than a 5 minute drive to get to Waverley from where I generally lived. Could not care less if filth from the Western or the Northern suburbs whinged about finding it difficult to get to.

Only went to waverly once, glorious sunny day sitting in the sun with some mates having a few quiet beers while the family in front brought their own hot dogs and snacks. Had a real relaxed feel to it compared to the MCG the night before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst AFL ground?

Back