Worst AFL ground?

Worst afl ground?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't been to Optus, Adelaide Oval or Giants Stadium, so out of the remaining I voted the Gabba. It's pretty 90s in there, will see after the election if it gets a badly needed overhaul.

What time of year?

Manuka in the dead of winter would win this hands down.

Funnily enough, I was there for the Giants/Hawks game in early August and had a T-shirt on. Belter of a day.

However, a few hours later when the sun went down it approached 0 quicksmart.

Funnily enough, I was there for the Giants/Hawks game in early August and had a T-shirt on. Belter of a day.

However, a few hours later when the sun went down it approached 0 quicksmart.
I lived in Canberra for 3 years.
Those beautiful, sunny -7 degree mornings were not fun

i know the train station at GWS stadium is only 2 minutes away but try gettting there when theres a big crowd and only 1 exit.
To me the gws place only has 1 entery and exit point and to be honest isnt safe in case of a fire for example.
Limited toliets and food and drink outlets as well hardly any toilets there.
My other ground i think is plain and boring is Princess park Ikon just lacks any feel and is so plain.
Vic park is the opposite still got the aura and it always brings me back to the old 1990 days of the party Pies. Got a real rock and roll feel even tho its used casually nowadays. its actually a public park and Jo Bloggs and even have a kick of the footy there when the vflw and aflw is not playing there.
Marvel is ok but feels so takcy and fake and gives me a head ache too much flashy crap there and is just plastic.
My favourite was good old Waverely park love the place was real out there and a cold siberian type of place too. Was intimatding at times there but i can remember the muddy car park there.
I have not been to other grounds like perth ao gabba and alike so can not really comment. I have ssen it on tv thats all.
Best for mine and most visited frequented is the mighty Melbourne cricket ground the MCG. Simply the best is the MCG.

I love how so many posters confidently declare GMHBA the worst stadium but then admit "Well, I've never actually been there...It's just the vibe". It's a bit like someone saying they don't like London or Paris, but they've never been there.
I’ve been there on numerous occasions. It’s a shit hole, in the middle of a shit hole.

I know my experience it way out of date but my trip to the SCG is 2007 was incredibly underwhelming. I couldn't believe how derelict the O'Reilly and Messenger stands were when wandering through, felt I was going through the old Sherrin stand at Victoria Park. Sounds great on the telly with a full house but just a terrible viewing experience. They don't even let the cheer squads sit behind the goals with the tunnels in the way.

The GABBA is an embarrassment. The stadium itself is very tired and outdated, and getting to and from it is a joke. There's no public transport servicing it, and the stadium is wedged in tight between two main roads, with no parkland surrounding it to easily allow people to come and go. People are instead herded along narrow footpaths amongst busy traffic. Not to mention the cringeworthy atmosphere with the singing and dancing everytime someone kicks a goal. It time Cricket Australia gave it the arse.

The GABBA is an embarrassment. The stadium itself is very tired and outdated, and getting to and from it is a joke. There's no public transport servicing it, and the stadium is wedged in tight between two main roads, with no parkland surrounding it to easily allow people to come and go. People are instead herded along narrow footpaths amongst busy traffic. Not to mention the cringeworthy atmosphere with the singing and dancing everytime someone kicks a goal. It time Cricket Australia gave it the arse.
Shit next time I get pissed off by country roads I’ll know to complain to Cricket Australia

meh

It would take less than a 5 minute drive to get to Waverley from where I generally lived. Could not care less if filth from the Western or the Northern suburbs whinged about finding it difficult to get to.

Shame the AFL suits got rid of it, all just for the sake of greed.
Full house at Waverley had an unreal atmosphere. All these horror stories about the ground must of happened before my time because I never had an issue with parking, facilities or the size of the ground. The facilities argument is hilarious, name a ground in the 80s or 90s that had decent facilities and food etc. never happened anywhere including the MCG. You dealt with it because that's just how everything was. I loved the ground and still miss it to this day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have not been to many recently but the Giants ground is the one I'd least like to visit based on location and what I've seen on TV.
The only time I was there was for a metal festival.
Saw Soundgarden and Faith No More headline there.
Nice venue.
Soundwave.
AO is tremendous and the Gabba is loud with a full capacity,the sound really gets trapped inside it's confines and you get Brisy's lovely weather which makes beer go down easier.
I was at the Cats stadium this year.
Had a great view of the playing arena from the back seat.
Toilets are nice and clean,no troughs.
The place is immaculate.
Plenty of parking for free.
Went to a Woolshed type bar pregame.
Enjoyed my time.
But my club has a lousy track record there.
Still love the G,I drive to the city these days,a nice walk to a nearby cafe for a morning coffee,some lunch,then a train to Richmond town,best.
G is a magic place.
After I have many choices,Richmond for a beer,Collingwood or Fitzroy for some music.
Love it.
We have so many magnificent inner burbs to go too with tons on.
Little griity bars with local music.
My worst is Etihad,freezing cold like walking into a freezer,no soul,surrounds are dead,Nixon and Platform 28 are the only venues.
After,straight out of the Parsons nose of the City back to to good side.

Last edited:
The G did remove all the standing bays for alcohol,only one left then Eithad removed the Locker Room.
Rule changes off the field to sullen the Tiger Army to go with Shockings infield ones after studying Richmond when we won the premierships.
That's what really started this Geelong rivalry,did not mind the club until then.

Imagine spending trillions of taxpayers money on GMHBA but not fixing the actual size of the oval.
Imagine following a club that has 1 flag in 150 years of being in a competition. And the one flag they won was by a point over the biggest GF chokers in the history of the sport.
Imagine. Just imagine.

My worst is Etihad,freezing cold like walking into a freezer,no soul,surrounds are dead,
Footy Park was like that but you also got the privilege of being stuck in traffic for an hour each way and for a long time you couldn't even have a grog in your seat either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst AFL ground?

Back