Worst afl player you've seen (and why)

Remove this Banner Ad

We see the best players we grew up with, maybe they had a mortgage on your club's best and fairest and won a league b&f or two. That probably gets them on to a NAB league list, where half the players will have a similar pedigree. Or they end up spending a couple of years kicking around in the VFL. Then you have to be one of the best few players from your NAB league team to even make it on an AFL list. To essentially be a first choice player for four seasons and almost 100 games, including nine finals and two grand finals, that's not an accident and, although I know there's a lot of people out there who think that if they were as tall as Mark Blake or they had a dad who was a star footballer like Mark Blake did, then they'd have been a better AFL player than he was. And 99% of the time, those people are hopelessly deluded.
Absolutely. We had a guy on our list who played one game (Cal Porter) and that was probably a bit generous, a reward for effort as he was a hard trainer and a good guy. Won every B&F at his junior club from about age 10 up to his draft year, and he was well behind every other bloke on our list for class.

There's a fair chunk of midfielders at AFL level who would probably ruck in local comps (and dominate). Given the blend of endurance, explosiveness, power, skill and the fact that AFL is a 360 degree game I still think AFL players are amazing athletes.

Absolutely. We had a guy on our list who played one game (Cal Porter) and that was probably a bit generous, a reward for effort as he was a hard trainer and a good guy. Won every B&F at his junior club from about age 10 up to his draft year, and he was well behind every other bloke on our list for class.

There's a fair chunk of midfielders at AFL level who would probably ruck in local comps (and dominate). Given the blend of endurance, explosiveness, power, skill and the fact that AFL is a 360 degree game I still think AFL players are amazing athletes.
Perfect example is Mitch Hahn or Simmon Wiggins, we'd both agree that they were average to slightly above average players in terms of talent in the AFL. Both of them played with my best mate at Sunshine YCW in the WRFL Division one Seniors. My mate was a highly touted junior playing his first year of senior footy and I believe he finished 5th behind Mitch Hahn in the BnF. This kid won league BnF's and got BOG in every grand final he played bar one. To put into perspective just how good he was as a junior, he kicked 4 goals and had 50 touches in an under 16's grand final.

Even with all of that, Mitch Hahn a year post retirement was still a better footballer than he was.

Conversely, we grew up at the same time as Will Hoskin-Elliott who did make it and you'd always hear stories that made my mate seem human. Hoskin-Elliott used to mark it at CHB and run down the wing before dobbing goals from 50. He kicked 7 playing at CHB in the 18 B's in his first game back from injury as the Jets wanted him to play club footy before returning to TAC Cup Football. The club obviously obliged but didn't have a traditional midfield, wing or forward position for him to play so they chucked him at CHB and yeah, kid went nuts.

Not to add to the pile on, but Kayne Turner has to be up there. He's a small forward who doesn't kick goals, or do much of anything really. Club seems to love him for some reason though.

Also think Ned McHenry is very average. Every time I've seen him he seems to just run around like a headless chicken, yeah he looks busy and I haven't looked it up but I'm sure he at least has some good 'defensive' or 'pressure' stats, but that's about it I reckon.

I'm staggered he was a first round pick. Everything about the way he plays screams late rookie selection.

Also think Ned McHenry is very average. Every time I've seen him he seems to just run around like a headless chicken, yeah he looks busy and I haven't looked it up but I'm sure he at least has some good 'defensive' or 'pressure' stats, but that's about it I reckon.
Terrible choice for a first round pick but he's not even the best nomination for this thread in his own forward line; Lachie Murphy is just Ned McHenry but worse.

Mason Cox is garbage.

The fact that he was allowed to destroy Richmond's dynasty is an indictment on the Tigers.

No. Ottens was always number one, Mumford was really raw at the time and Sydney offered him good money plus the number one spot. At the time, it was uncontroversial.

Steven King v Mark Blake was the bigger one.
Mumford went from a rookie salary to huge money at Sydney. There was no way Geelong could match that given the talent already on the Cats list

Mason Cox is garbage.

The fact that he was allowed to destroy Richmond's dynasty is an indictment on the Tigers.
Not sure. The club is on record saying that loss was the springboard to redemption in 2019 and we know what happened in 2020. There may not have been a dynasty without that loss prelim loss in 2018.

Not sure. The club is on record saying that loss was the springboard to redemption in 2019 and we know what happened in 2020. There may not have been a dynasty without that loss prelim loss in 2018.

There's some merit in that argument.

Still, Mason Cox...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Similarly, I maintain that StKilda was a better team in 2009 but 2008’s choke was a defining motivation

Mumford was also a bit sour that he wasn't selected towards the end of 2009, which I can understand, but he was absolutely cooked by about round 20 and they couldn't not drop him.
His diet still included cream cakes at this stage. I'd love to know what his BMI was

Mumford's "official" weight at Geelong as a rookie was 102kg. His weight at GWS was 108kg.

Stephen Patterson fron the 1990's. Comfortably leads caught holding the ball after taking a bounce, turnover kicks and he really was the ultimate coach killer.

Still Simon White. Had no discernible ability in any facet of the game and still lasted 8 years on an AFL list.

Current day, James Bell.

Angus Graham wins this thread.

Stephen Patterson fron the 1990's. Comfortably leads caught holding the ball after taking a bounce, turnover kicks and he really was the ultimate coach killer.
The former Mayor of Brighton. I recently saw a picture of his head on a sign during the SA election. I also went to look at a rental property, a few years back, and he was the real estate agent. Little bloke.
One of many from Collingwood in the 90s where you look back and think how on earth did they get so many games.

My nominations for this thread are Murphy from the Crows, park footballer at best. Turner from North. Seems to be there just to be an annoying Patrick for both the opposition and his teammates and supporters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst afl player you've seen (and why)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back