Worst Coaching move

Remove this Banner Ad

Alves by a mile - the whole crowd around me, Saints and Crows, all said as Jarman ran down alone to FF - "Who will Alves send down" and stuned silence followed shortly by cries of derision, from both sides, as the inevitable happened with still no move.

Alves lost a GF and killed the career of Shannahan and ultimately his own as well. That would have to be up there. Funnily enough he is still a better coach than a few in a job at the moment IMO. He did do a lot of good with St. Kilda. Had Everitt played I suspect no one would care much about Shannahan v Jarman.

Stan's coaching will always be remembered for that move, or should I say lack of.

The funny thing is, I'm yet to hear a compelling argument for who he should have swapped him with.

I think it is more a reflection on how the game is reported than Stan himself. Blight coached magnificantly in that game, and probably should have been given the Norm Smith, but people remember one move St Kilda didn't make. Rather than give credit for the moves/coaching of Blight.

Worst coaching move I have seen at StKilda, well probably the worst 50, were all made by Timmy Watson. The guy really had no idea.

Harvey in a back-pocket? Hall at FB? Just to name a couple. :confused:

Firstly the playing of Shannahan on Jarman in the first place and then not making a change. Add to that why the hell McLeod was allowed to run free all day. Stan had a bad day.

No doubt he did MarkT, but the entire club had a bad week. The off-field events got to everyone, including Stan.

Talent was the only thing that kept us in that game for a half. Everyone including Stan was numb from the neck up.

Terry Wallace putting 183cm Rohan Smith on 196cm Matthew Robran in the 98 Preliminary Final is the mother of all stupid moves for Dogs fans. Robran killed us that day and had virtually no opposition. Even with the height difference Smith is not an aerialist and was totally mismatched.

Wallace also played Libba on McLeod in all our big meetings and McLeod always carved him up. Yet Wallace would continue to play Libba on him and get duly thrashed.

Originally posted by MarkT
Alves lost a GF and killed the career of Shannahan and ultimately his own as well. That would have to be up there. Funnily enough he is still a better coach than a few in a job at the moment IMO. He did do a lot of good with St. Kilda. Had Everitt played I suspect no one would care much about Shannahan v Jarman.
Dunno bout Spider, but if Lazar had played it would not have happened: a couple of his trademark haymakers and Jars wouldn't have woken up for about three days!
I remember the 97 Elim final when Plough put Bubba Smith on Dunkers and by the end of the first quarter it was all over. Smith killed him, and Eade couldn't find another spot for him.

Tim Watson playing Robert Harvey in a back pocket on the back of two brownlows out of the middle. Absolute cabbage of a move.

Plus drafting Tony Delaney, Tony Francis & Damien Monkhorst must rate a mention.

Round 15 (or thereabouts) 1999, Geelong v Collingwood at Kardinia Park

Collingwood are leading at 3/4 time by 20 points, and Geelong have lost their last 9 matches.

Tony Shaw singlehandedly wins the game for Geelong by taking his team down to the Ford stand 'for support'. I was there that day, and I can tell you that if Shaw hadn't done something so arrogant and offensive Geelong would have laid down and died.

As it was, we kicked 5 goals to 1 and won by three points.

Dumbest coaching move I have seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Rodion
Round 15 (or thereabouts) 1999, Geelong v Collingwood at Kardinia Park

Collingwood are leading at 3/4 time by 20 points, and Geelong have lost their last 9 matches.

Tony Shaw singlehandedly wins the game for Geelong by taking his team down to the Ford stand 'for support'. I was there that day, and I can tell you that if Shaw hadn't done something so arrogant and offensive Geelong would have laid down and died.

As it was, we kicked 5 goals to 1 and won by three points.

Dumbest coaching move I have seen.

Peter Knights having the Hawks stand in the shade up at the gabba at 3QT in 1995 also has to rate a mention for a dumb move. The lions came from over 40 points down to win in the last quarter.

Originally posted by medozaaaaaaaaaa
A ripper was Timmy Watson playing 5 foot 1 Damian Ryan as a leading Centre half Forward one year at the Dome.

Try 6'2".

Alves lost a GF and killed the career of Shannahan and ultimately his own as well.

He also won a GF off his own boot after benefitting from Tommy Hafey's stubbornness. He thrashed Wayne Gordon (RIP) in the 1977 GF and then repeated the process in the replay against the same oppponent.

One that sticks in my mind was Chris Connelly not playing Aaron Sandilands in the 1st derby last year when Michael Gardiner was at his most dominant..... for some inexplicable reason he dropped him for that 1 week.... and we won the game. I remember thinking on the thursday night when I saw Sandilands dropped that it was a stupid decision Connelly had made and that we'd win...... and to his credit admitted after the game he stuffed up big time.

Originally posted by The Candy Man
Ken Judge quitting Hawthorn to coach West Coast seemed like a dumb move to me at the time.

West Coast appointing him was the dumb bit.

Chocko Williams declining Heath Scotland and draft pick 17, then recruiting two time AFL reject Josh Mahoney.

Boy does Alves get a hard time for not moving Shanahan.

Look at how Jarman got his goals in the last quarter:

- Two were freak snaps that no-one could have stopped
- One was a fairly soft free
- One was from a lead, chest mark and goal - sometimes a defender just can't get there
- One was when Shanahan went to spoil a contest as thrid man up, the ball bobbled over the back and Jars was Johnny on the spot.

The number of times the ball was in Adelaide's forward 50 in the last quarter, and the zone Jars was in, no defender would have kept him to less than 4.

As for worst coaching moves - Malcolm Blight tries all 179 cm of Trent Ormond-Allen in the ruck against 201 cm of Spider Everitt - and Tim Watson doesn't move his ruckman into the forward line!

Originally posted by hotpie
He also won a GF off his own boot after benefitting from Tommy Hafey's stubbornness. He thrashed Wayne Gordon (RIP) in the 1977 GF and then repeated the process in the replay against the same oppponent.
Don't talk to me about Hafey blowing the '77 GF. It's too depressing. The replay was lost before we too the field. No doubt non moves didn't help either.

Don't talk to me about Hafey blowing the '77 GF. It's too depressing. The replay was lost before we too the field. No doubt non moves didn't help either.
Yeah but by god you blokes looked good in t-shirts!! Being thrashed on the paddock (training, that is) directly after playing one GF as a lead up to the replay. Good on you Tommy!!

He repeated the dose for the Swans in 86/87, if it makes you any happier.

No, I didn't think so.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst Coaching move

Remove this Banner Ad

Back