Worst Injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Snell's would have been 2001, Rd 3 v Melbourne at the G. Late 3rd q or so I think.

Also, found this:

Snell's bad ankle remains noticeably larger than his good one, but he prefers to talk of his injury in terms of what it will, rather than will not, let him do.

He can take his dog, Bodhi, for a walk, provided it lasts no longer than about 20 minutes. He can do the shopping, and park his car at university confident he will be able to walk inside. "Plus," he said, "I've got a great right-foot hop."

There are days when the ankle swells or stiffens so badly that he can't bear to walk on it, or when he finds himself some way from home, on foot, and has to find a way back. Snell visits a podiatrist, to make sure his shoes sit as they should, and wears a compression sock - mostly because nerve damage means he can't feel parts of it, and also because normal socks sit uncomfortably and . . . "just hurt a little bit".

The surgeon has said it will be two more years before the ankle will feel the best it ever will, and in the back of Snell's mind are the warnings that, having carried the ankle's load for so long, other joints could eventually start to break down.

"There is some concern they'll be over-used and that I'll have to go in to have surgery on them, but at the moment nothing feels too painful or sore. Hopefully I won't have to have a hip replacement sometime down the track," he said.

"At the moment, it's just a matter of knowing what I can and can't do. I'll usually push really hard for a few weeks, see what I can do, and ease up.

"As long as I can get around and do day-to-day things, that's good. If I have to go out somewhere and stand up for an hour, I'll get sore, but at least I know I can do it. Before, I'd keep pushing and pushing; because I just wanted to play footy."

The sort of thing you hear from a 34 yr old who's spent 17 years getting battered, not a 23 yr old who played 70-odd games.

M29 said:
Simmonds? Please, he was concussed. Sure he may possibly have been seriously injured, but to compare it was Sachse is stupid. There have been several other incidents like the Simmonds one since 2000, thankfully none have ended like Sachses.
And who do you barrack for again? I didn't have to even look to know.

Vaughan Pitt said:
Apart from the incident itself, the other clear memory is that of Garry Hocking going over and holding him, consoling him until the cart came out. Excruciating.

The Buddha would have been telling him it was only a scratch and to get up and play!!!!!

I'm surprised no mentioned Joel Smoth til now.

Doctors likened it to an injury more commonly seen in car crashes than on the footy injury... 2 years it kept him on the sidelines for.

There was a little Aboriginal Sydney player James Ludwig or something like that. Did his knee in the early 90s against Richmond. Never played a game... NE1 remember his name???

Gary Buckenara's leg and Richard Osborne's fit were terrible, but Neil Sachse's broken neck at Footscray is by far the worst I've seen.

Vaughan Pitt said:
Agh, the Barnes one I had forgotten. Bloody stupid thing to do in the first place; tried for a speccy by putting his outstretched foot on a Carlton player and fell backwards onto his arm from a good height. His upper arm became like an S bend - a bit like the Snell break, saw the arm and realisation hit him hard. Tried to straighten it too. I distinctly remember the medicos taking nearly 6 minutes to get out there for some reason... ridiculous.

That was a terrible sight to see.

I think the little Sydney rover was named Jamie Lawson.He had a compound fracture of the leg (ouch).He never played again as one leg became alot shorter (or longer) than the other one.I recall seeing it on video and it looked sickening.

tess said:
John Greening

St Blunda deserve to rest in hell for the rest of their time in the AFL because of what was done to John Greening!
Oh deer, do you understand the difference between an a person and a team?

Worst I've seen would have to be the day Neil Winmar took a swing at one Barry Hall when they were both playing for the saints. I was in fear Nicky would lose his life.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

M29 said:
Simmonds? Please, he was concussed. Sure he may possibly have been seriously injured, but to compare it was Sachse is stupid. There have been several other incidents like the Simmonds one since 2000, thankfully none have ended like Sachses.

One things for sure, Simmonds has more heart than that gutless soft sniper Michael Long

The most dangerous injuries I can imagine that i'm no one wants to see our head injuries, numerals times, have played clashed heads together, these days about 1% of players are quite smart, they were protective helmets.

I believe soon it will be compolusely soon, but we are just waiting for an serious life-threatening accident to happen first!

Other than that, Shaun Rehn changed the look of the centre bounce area forever in all grounds, no longer can umpires bounce as high since they took away those plastic plates in the centre, after Rehn slipped on 1 of them.

How many more AFL accidents are waiting to happen now ?

when shaun hart was injured 2004 by bradshaw 2 see a man like that have 2 just brush away all that blood and 2 see a tear drop from his eye was terrible, but i loved it when whelan cleaned up hirdy, i have a lot of respect for hirds but damn that was cool as, i was lovin it.. :D :cool: :)

rick James said:
hyper-extending? is that what you meant?
Rick, I think he meant that, just a bit of a misunderstanding, his English teacher and mum thought he was in class but .....

Skip, I saw a bloke, or many parts of him anyway ..... after he tried to unsuccesfully dodge 3 lanes of traffic on the Tulla Freeway, know what you mean ! Don't think he made it back out after half time.

What about the dude for the Swannies that freight train Plugger ran into when he was playing for StBlunder. Nearly put his nose thru his brain. At least he ended up playing in 2 flags for the Crows I s'pose. His name's on the tip but I cannot recall ...... duh ! :eek:
QUIT NOW, MADE IT TO 69 POSTS. :p

smasher said:
Sam Newman was another one.Apparantly he lost a kidney after being injured(and that WAS on the Footy field)...so he says
I think he lost more than a kidney.

The worst would be the guy who became a paraplegic (however u spell it)

Snell by a country mile. Who was that Collingwood bloke who Adams cannoned into in the 54 GF who never played again?
Osborne's was a shocker for his convulsions on the ground at the SCG.
Ronnie Burns was bloody unlucky to do his hamstring against the Dees... that's the sort of injury you normally only get when you run...

Footyboy said:
The most dangerous injuries I can imagine that i'm no one wants to see our head injuries, numerals times, have played clashed heads together, these days about 1% of players are quite smart, they were protective helmets.

I believe soon it will be compolusely soon, but we are just waiting for an serious life-threatening accident to happen first!

You're an idiot. If you honestly believe in years to come or soon, players will be told that wearing protective helmets will be compolusely, then you're more delusional then i first thought.

Football has been around for a long long time and back in the old days (anything previous the 80's) it was 10 times harder and rougher then, now it is with these bunch of metrosexuals running around the field. You seriously think the AFL will make players wear those unbelieveably stupid looking, weak helments to protect the head? I'd laugh even if 50 players agreed to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Worst Injury

Remove this Banner Ad

Back