Would any AFL players dominate the NRL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rowan Jones.

Would take his experience of dominating the AFL for years to the NRL, go down in history as the game's greatest.

Hall, probably. He was good at busting through tackles.

Big difference between being able to run in a 360 degree circle shrugging off arm tackles from petrified Half Back flankers to snap for goal to running at 2 or 3 man tackles with guys his own size.

Surprised no one has mentioned Buddy.

In terms of physique and athleticism he's pretty similar to Folau, and for that matter Sonny Bill. Loves a good dribble kick, handles the ball well and could get you a shirtload of territory with that left boot. Might have to put on a few kilos but he was definitely the one that stood out for me.

Other than that, I agree with Ablett and Rodan, and I also reckon Dustin Martin in a couple of years would give it a shake.

To answer the Op's question. No, not one AFL player would dominate in the NRL. Depending on who and the circumstances, some players could be serviceable as a back, but that's it.

How have we gone 3 pages in this thread without anyone mentioning Jonathan Brown?

Surely he'd be a Rugby League beast. He wouldn't require too much beefing up either.
Jono Brown (forget everyone else) would barely last a possesion as a forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised anybody hasn't named Zac Dawson.

Huge unit, lightning off the mark and tackles like a beast. Would dominate NRL like no other.

Surprised anybody hasn't named Zac Dawson.

Huge unit, lightning off the mark and tackles like a beast. Would dominate NRL like no other.

You serious? He's a rake.. Would get absolutely flattened.

Sammy Gilbert from St.Kilda..

Great overhead, quick, great side step.
Has a rugby background as well.. Would make a great player in the NRL.

Not unless they put on a minimum 30 kilos of fat ;)

nrsmell.png

fatrugby.jpg

:eek:

Ablett would be an amazing halfback. Hayes a great lock. Swan five eighth.
Full back Sam Gilbert. I'd put Kennedy from the swans in the centers.
Rioli would defiantly get a game in the number 7 or 1. Preston Cambell anyone??! Tiny bloke. David Peachy was skinny as. Dallas Jhonson wasn't huge but tough as shit.
Don't have to be a meat axe.
I don't see many rl forwards in the afl. But plenty of backs.

I reckon that Izzy Folau bloke would do alright ;)
Maybe Dane Swan could have a crack, but aside from him nobody jumps to mind who could dominate.

Netball would be the better option for most of our AFL players today, going by the diving and the way they look for easy free kicks.
Most AFL players would shirley dominate netball. Liz Ellis might beg to differ.

there's always demand in league for big guys with a tank that can truck the ball up all day long. Plenty of players with the dimensions to fill out into back rowers. I doubt any player could transition into one of the playmaker positions mid way through their career, the skills and timing needed to play in those positions take years to build.

Even the jump from league to union is a huge step for most and very few halves have ever made the transition, really only wingers and fullbacks. K Hunt was a fullback in league and only really got a start on the wing in union, where he was average at french domestic level! Very hard to make up the lack of nous between codes let alone vastly different sports.

The type of player from AFL that could dominate would be a ruckman. Typical union lock is 200-205 and 115-120, with a good vertical leap. I'd imagine there are more than a few AFL players that could fit that bill and pick up the inside style of game the position demands.

Matthew Kreuzer

Remove this Banner Ad

Would any AFL players dominate the NRL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back