WRFL Div 2 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I read kingbuddys comment got taken out of context. I do agree with him that the “melee” was nothing but push and shove.
Absolutely nothing in it in my eyes.

As for calling it off it was due to spectators running on albeit they didn’t do much but the look of them invading the pitch was grounds to call it off.

But to blame Newport is nothing but a cop out to just shame the club further for speculated reputation. In fact, from what I’ve been told Newport were awarded the win after review of the incident itself so take that how you will.
Spectators from which club ran onto the field?( FIELD not pitch , they play soccer on a pitch, not AFL!!)

Probably a good choice for East Sunbury and Melton Centrals tbh. Point of difference in those areas but only thing is div2 WRFL is not a great standard of footy and only be worse next season.
I would rather see Melton South come across. The longer they stay in BFL the sooner they head to a place of no return. A once great club would have the opportunity to rebuild quickly without spending stupid amounts on recruits. Once they start winning, they would become a destination again, especially for juniors. This would also create choice for players from the Melton area with 3 clubs across 3 competitions.

Last edited:
I would rather see Melton South come across. The longer they stay in BFL the sooner they head to a place of no return. A once great club would have the opportunity to rebuild quickly without spending stupid amounts on recruits. Once they start winning, they would become a destination again, especially for juniors. This would also create choice for players from the Melton area with 3 clubs across 3 competitions.
I live close to the area and South are a huge club in terms of community status. Would be a huge get for the WFNL if they could get them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have heard of discussions with East Sunbury comings over from the EDFL.
A strange fit for the WFNL I would have thought. Long way from Wyndhamvale and Laverton etc.

WFNL D2 may have saved the Rams so if it saves ES then hope they come over.

With 3 of the 4 "big boys" going up to D1 next season, D2 will be much more competitive, and would be attractive to ES. Wonder if those 3 being promoted triggered the interest from ES?

Concerns me that leagues around Victoria have closed door policies where clubs can't find a home where they're more suited eg Maryborough, Broadford etc. AFL Vic needs to be more proactive in this space and Leagues need to be more welcoming.

They won’t last much longer if they say in the BFL. Would be shattered if that were to happen.

A strange fit for the WFNL I would have thought. Long way from Wyndhamvale and Laverton etc.

WFNL D2 may have saved the Rams so if it saves ES then hope they come over.

With 3 of the 4 "big boys" going up to D1 next season, D2 will be much more competitive, and would be attractive to ES. Wonder if those 3 being promoted triggered the interest from ES?

Concerns me that leagues around Victoria have closed door policies where clubs can't find a home where they're more suited eg Maryborough, Broadford etc. AFL Vic needs to be more proactive in this space and Leagues need to be more welcoming.
Great comments Dogs.

Lavo to Sunbury is a rough 35 minute drive, I wouldn’t have thought doing that drive once a year would be an issue for most sides.

If ES join the WRFL with the side they have they will beat plenty don’t worry about that, lots of good people at ES I hope it works out for them.

Great comments Dogs.

Lavo to Sunbury is a rough 35 minute drive, I wouldn’t have thought doing that drive once a year would be an issue for most sides.

If ES join the WRFL with the side they have they will beat plenty don’t worry about that, lots of good people at ES I hope it works out for them.
Melton sides currently travel 50 mins up the Western Fwy every 2nd week to play footy. There are 4 or 5 clubs in Sunbury I’d love to see one of them in our competition.

Melton sides currently travel 50 mins up the Western Fwy every 2nd week to play footy. There are 4 or 5 clubs in Sunbury I’d love to see one of them in our competition.
What is the WFNL like with their rules regarding netball? Not sure if East Sun has senior netball but im guessing they'd need that to be accepted into this league ?

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hey panther, BFL to WRFL is a huge drop in levels and especially in terms of if they would have to start in div2. They would lose all there current good players as it’s horrible standard of footy and even worse next season with 3 clubs going up. A move to the Riddell for them back to their roots but still playing country footy is the place to rebuild from. Hearing Melton Centrals in some trouble and they have no 19s or maybe even no 17s with South have teams in both. See the move of Centrals to WRFL more likely and beneficial to them as a point in difference.
Just my opinion.

Hey panther, BFL to WRFL is a huge drop in levels and especially in terms of if they would have to start in div2. They would lose all there current good players as it’s horrible standard of footy and even worse next season with 3 clubs going up. A move to the Riddell for them back to their roots but still playing country footy is the place to rebuild from. Hearing Melton Centrals in some trouble and they have no 19s or maybe even no 17s with South have teams in both. See the move of Centrals to WRFL more likely and beneficial to them as a point in difference.
Just my opinion.
How many good players do South have Turbo ? They are not even competitive at BFL level and it’s been that way for years, and no shortage of cash. Whichever path they choose they need to sort out within or it won’t matter where they go

Good game at Newport yesterday, heavily contested, Sunshine coming through in 2nd half..
Was a good game there a few weeks ago v Albion too, hit the front in time on before Albion got a late goal to win.

Tough place to play is Langshaw Reserve and will provide Newport a few wins in D1 next year.

Last edited:
What is the WFNL like with their rules regarding netball? Not sure if East Sun has senior netball but im guessing they'd need that to be accepted into this league ?

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Netball is not compulsory in WFNL, netball competition is only 5-6 years old, growing quickly.

Problem is it is centralised playing at Whitten Oval on a Friday night wouldn't be attractive to ES if they have Netball.

WFNL should concentrate on allowing clubs with Netball facilities to play alongside Footy on a Saturday. Would make the WFNL more attractive to urban fringe clubs with Netball programs.

How many good players do South have Turbo ? They are not even competitive at BFL level and it’s been that way for years, and no shortage of cash. Whichever path they choose they need to sort out within or it won’t matter where they go
Hey panther, a core group of 1 pointers plus a handful of recruits would NOT play a low level footy such as WRFL div2 and therefore they lose heaps. BFL is a lot of levels above WRFL div1 and WRFL div1 clubs wouldn’t make top 7-8 in BFL. Yes they need to sort out within for sure as that’s a first step forward.

Centrals are the one. Struggling and coach stepping down.
South should be competitive in Riddell I would say with a few new recruits.

Hey panther, a core group of 1 pointers plus a handful of recruits would NOT play a low level footy such as WRFL div2 and therefore they lose heaps. BFL is a lot of levels above WRFL div1 and WRFL div1 clubs wouldn’t make top 7-8 in BFL. Yes they need to sort out within for sure as that’s a first step forward.

Centrals are 0 chance of moving to WFNL..

They are competitive in the RDFNL, ladder position aside a lot of their games are within 4-5 goals.

If South and Gisbone Giants join RDFNL Centrals will win another 4 games next year.

Interesting move for East Sunbury but I like it. Opens the door for the Melton, Diggers and Sunbury teams joining WFNL one day.

It’s strange you keep pushing the Centrals to move West narrative, there is no logical reason. Is that what Souths want ? The Riddell clubs want them, and that is a league you can turn things around in one summer.

Saying Ballarat is levels above WRFL is a massive stretch. Souths would be a better fit for Riddell I agree, but they would need to improve ALOT to be any threat currently

Remove this Banner Ad

WRFL Div 2 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back