Multiplat Yakuza games

Remove this Banner Ad

Y4 was the first I played back on PS4 but didn't appreciate it much at the time. Never went back to 3 but went forward in the series and the appreciation grew. I'm just preparing myself for how jarring it might be going from K2 which is among the latest and most polished version of the engine and releases to a (albeit remastered) PS3 game. I don't doubt the content is still fantastic, I just horror stories about the combat and moment to moment gameplay being quite dated. Like I said, I'm going to bang it on easy and power through it. I think it's nearly time to hang up K2. I've finished the cabaret stuff and most sub stories. I need to finish this lifetime 😆

Yeah, definitely power through Y3, you won’t be disappointed. Pop it on easy to make your time with the game better.

Finished K2 last night and just going through the Majima chapters. There were some massive revelations but it felt like it dragged on a few chapters longer than it needed. The final series of boss fights also started to feel like a bit of a joke with the way you had to keep re-fighting half of them lol.

I know being a remake they were bound to the original story and that they've improved in the storytelling department since, but I just felt Ryuji wasn't prominent enough. The first game was kind of the same with Jingu, who you didn't even know about until late, but you always knew you were on a collision course with Nishiki. Compare that to how the storytelling developed later with 0 for example and Kuze felt present the entire game.

K2 was still really solid and the damn Majima Constructions song is stuck in my head lol.

Finished K2 last night and just going through the Majima chapters. There were some massive revelations but it felt like it dragged on a few chapters longer than it needed. The final series of boss fights also started to feel like a bit of a joke with the way you had to keep re-fighting half of them lol.

I know being a remake they were bound to the original story and that they've improved in the storytelling department since, but I just felt Ryuji wasn't prominent enough. The first game was kind of the same with Jingu, who you didn't even know about until late, but you always knew you were on a collision course with Nishiki. Compare that to how the storytelling developed later with 0 for example and Kuze felt present the entire game.

K2 was still really solid and the damn Majima Constructions song is stuck in my head lol.

When you go to Y3, I just remembered and then confirmed it for myself that Y3 has two difficulties, Normal and Hard. There isn’t an easy mode.

Just started it and there was thankfully in fact an easy option.

Ah, went back to check again. New Game has Easy, Normal and Hard. New Game+ (which is what I selected) has Normal and Hard. Probably won’t do a playthrough on NG+, easy was challenging enough. 😂

Spent a few hours with 3 now, just about to head back to Kamurocho. Ryukyu would be so pretty with Kiwami treatment. The presentation isn't as jarring as I was worried it would be except for maybe the menus and stuff. The opening part in Kamurocho was actually pretty fun to have a look at the old version of the city before the later games/remakes. Things like inventory, leveling up and checking the map feels very dated. So far other things I've read have been 100% correct though like the early orphanage stuff in Okinawa was a bit of a drag by the end (the story and setup for the rest of the game was good but the constant back and forth was tedious) and it's definitely "blockuza". Glad I didn't skip it though. As much as I'm trying to just do the story I keep finding myself still gravitating to question marks 😆.

Spent a few hours with 3 now, just about to head back to Kamurocho. Ryukyu would be so pretty with Kiwami treatment. The presentation isn't as jarring as I was worried it would be except for maybe the menus and stuff. The opening part in Kamurocho was actually pretty fun to have a look at the old version of the city before the later games/remakes. Things like inventory, leveling up and checking the map feels very dated. So far other things I've read have been 100% correct though like the early orphanage stuff in Okinawa was a bit of a drag by the end (the story and setup for the rest of the game was good but the constant back and forth was tedious) and it's definitely "blockuza". Glad I didn't skip it though. As much as I'm trying to just do the story I keep finding myself still gravitating to question marks 😆.

Probably the longest chapter in the game is one that you spend about 80% at the orphanage.

Funny you said “blockuza”. Even on easy difficulty, Kanda is a real pain in the arse you beat. I mean, the bastard is infuriating. 😂

Probably the longest chapter in the game is one that you spend about 80% at the orphanage.

Funny you said “blockuza”. Even on easy difficulty, Kanda is a real pain in the arse you beat. I mean, the bastard is infuriating. 😂

Oh man Kanda was doing my head in! Chapter 10 or 11 now so nearly done and was much better once I leveled up a bit. Not sure if I'll play 4 the same way but looking forward to getting to 5.

Oh man Kanda was doing my head in! Chapter 10 or 11 now so nearly done and was much better once I leveled up a bit. Not sure if I'll play 4 the same way but looking forward to getting to 5.
Have you noticed the dialogue is not as “grown up” as Yakuza 0-2? Like Kiryu speaks to Haruka like a child. Well, she is a child but in the others the dialogue is more grown up even in their interactions.

Have you noticed the dialogue is not as “grown up” as Yakuza 0-2? Like Kiryu speaks to Haruka like a child. Well, she is a child but in the others the dialogue is more grown up.

I did notice that among other things. Was that because a lot of the dialogue was re-recorded for the Kiwami remakes and not the case in the originals?

I did notice that among other things. Was that because a lot of the dialogue was re-recorded for the Kiwami remakes and not the case in the originals?

I had to search and the lines were re-recorded for the Kiwami remakes. The Y3-5 remasters are just straight ports of those games. So in terms of dialogue the Y3-5 games are the same as the original release.

I had to search and the lines were re-recorded for the Kiwami remakes. The Y3-5 remasters are just straight ports of those games. So in terms of dialogue the Y3-5 games are the same as the original release.

That's what I mean, was the tone of the dialogue changed for the remakes compared to the original 1 and 2?

That's what I mean, was the tone of the dialogue changed for the remakes compared to the original 1 and 2?

Ah, I see. I am not sure if the dialogue was changed to give it a more sophisticated feel, especially since it came before Yakuza 3. I do know that Yakuza 4 and 5 were both more like Kiwami and Kiwami 2 in terms of dialogue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just finished 3. Man that Richardson is a meme 😆. I honestly thought it was one of those old text to talk voice synths.

I think it has been made pretty clear that it won't happen but a Kiwami 3 Ryukyu city would be so cool.

Kiryu standing there not understanding a word of English and wondering why this person is botching up his name.

Just finished 3. Man that Richardson is a meme 😆. I honestly thought it was one of those old text to talk voice synths.

I think it has been made pretty clear that it won't happen but a Kiwami 3 Ryukyu city would be so cool.
Wait, what? You played and finished all of 3 since finishing K2 yesterday?!

I started with LAD, then went 0, K1 and K2. Started 3 but then got burnt out. It does still feel quite dated so haven't been in a rush to go back.

Playing Judgement at the moment. I'm enjoying it. About 30 hours in and at chapter 10/11.

All these games have great story lines!

If I was starting from scratch I'd probably recommend 0 first as the Kiwami remakes have extra stuff that connects them to 0. And LAD has a few cameos who I didn't know who they were at the time.

Wait, what? You played and finished all of 3 since finishing K2 yesterday?!

I started with LAD, then went 0, K1 and K2. Started 3 but then got burnt out. It does still feel quite dated so haven't been in a rush to go back.

Playing Judgement at the moment. I'm enjoying it. About 30 hours in and at chapter 10/11.

All these games have great story lines!

If I was starting from scratch I'd probably recommend 0 first as the Kiwami remakes have extra stuff that connects them to 0. And LAD has a few cameos who I didn't know who they were at the time.

Yeah just ran through the main story on easy only doing a handful of sub stories if they were in the way. I actually finished K2 two days ago but only had the Majima stuff left which I did yesterday first. Only took about an hour tops. I've also had the week off work 😁. About an hour or two into 4 and will probably just charge through it too. I'm just playing the remasters for the story before playing the later ones thoroughly again. 5 I'll likely spend more time with being a more modern Dragon engine PS4 release.

Judgement is great, one of my favourites.

Yeah just ran through the main story on easy only doing a handful of sub stories if they were in the way. I actually finished K2 two days ago but only had the Majima stuff left which I did yesterday first. Only took about an hour tops. I've also had the week off work 😁. About an hour or two into 4 and will probably just charge through it too. I'm just playing the remasters for the story before playing the later ones thoroughly again. 5 I'll likely spend more time with being a more modern Dragon engine PS4 release.

Judgement is great, one of my favourites.
Y5 is a monster. 5 characters, 16 chapters and a “Finale”, which is another 5 chapters. Thankfully I went on YouTube and the chapters are between 40-70 minutes in length and then the finale is around 2 hours. Standard Yakuza tbf, just more chapters than a standard Yakuza game.

Y5 is a monster. 5 characters, 16 chapters and a “Finale”, which is another 5 chapters. Thankfully I went on YouTube and the chapters are between 40-70 minutes in length and then the finale is around 2 hours. Standard Yakuza tbf, just more chapters than a standard Yakuza game.

When I looked up how long each game was just to get an idea on how to pace myself everyone did say that one is mammoth with multiple cities. That's why I think I'll rush most of 4 like 3 and play 5 properly.

Just finished 4. Never finished it the first time on PS3 and has probably been the biggest chore to play in this run. It just felt too much on rails and lacked a lot of the general freedom that the other games are. With each of the characters it just felt like 4 small DLC type games and having to start from scratch each time. Not to mention Munakata was an infuriating fight because I've just done the story so missed out on the gear for Tanimura that would have made it easier.

As usual I liked the characters and their individual stories but if there is a missable entry then it's certainly this one. While it does tell a little more of Majima's backstory via Saejima and the missing ¥10bn makes another appearance it's nothing you couldn't cover in a 5 minute recap on YouTube.

Also wanted to find a meme about Date, Millennium Tower and helicopters but came across this lol

RDT_20230702_1359434162467644778125735.png

Just finished 4. Never finished it the first time on PS3 and has probably been the biggest chore to play in this run. It just felt too much on rails and lacked a lot of the general freedom that the other games are. With each of the characters it just felt like 4 small DLC type games and having to start from scratch each time. Not to mention Munakata was an infuriating fight because I've just done the story so missed out on the gear for Tanimura that would have made it easier.

As usual I liked the characters and their individual stories but if there is a missable entry then it's certainly this one. While it does tell a little more of Majima's backstory via Saejima and the missing ¥10bn makes another appearance it's nothing you couldn't cover in a 5 minute recap on YouTube.

Also wanted to find a meme about Date, Millennium Tower and helicopters but came across this lol

View attachment 1727092
Years ago when I played Y4-5 on PS Plus I remember having a look at chapter lengths on YouTube and seeing several chapters over 3-4 hours. Now those videos look like they have all disappeared and the chapter length across those two games are only 30-70 minutes each chapter. Maybe the 3-4 hour videos I was seeing was going after absolutely everything in the chapter and only playing through the main story is much shorter. These games are a lot shorter than I thought if you just do the stories.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat Yakuza games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back