Multiplat Yakuza games

Remove this Banner Ad

We've had no promo for anything Judgement so it must not be that, we at least a few years from a new mainline entry, they've already said that they want to do more Gaiden types and Kiwami 3 will happen at some point. Last month on RGG's Twitter the admin started posting 0 and K1 to celebrate Kiryu's birthday but this month has been bombed with K2 content so a lot of people are anticipating it leading into a K3 announcement. When they said K3 will happen it didn't sound imminent so I'm expecting a spinoff with some other characters. However they proved they can churn out games pretty fast as they've explained their modular design process and asset reuse before and the last Gaiden was completed in 6 months.

We've had no promo for anything Judgement so it must not be that, we at least a few years from a new mainline entry, they've already said that they want to do more Gaiden types and Kiwami 3 will happen at some point. Last month on RGG's Twitter the admin started posting 0 and K1 to celebrate Kiryu's birthday but this month has been bombed with K2 content so a lot of people are anticipating it leading into a K3 announcement. When they said K3 will happen it didn't sound imminent so I'm expecting a spinoff with some other characters. However they proved they can churn out games pretty fast as they've explained their modular design process and asset reuse before and the last Gaiden was completed in 6 months.

I don’t think a Judgment 3 will happen. There were contract disputes dating back a few years with Yagami's actor, Takuya Kimura, and now it’s just become that much harder to envision J3 after the death of Genda Sensei actor Nakao Akira. I think this is just one of those RGG franchisers that won’t become a long one like Yakuza/LAD, and likely to come to an end with two games.

I don’t think a Judgment 3 will happen. There were contract disputes dating back a few years with Yagami's actor, Takuya Kimura, and now it’s just become that much harder to envision J3 after the death of Genda Sensei actor Nakao Akira. I think this is just one of those RGG franchisers that won’t become a long one like Yakuza/LAD, and likely to come to an end with two games.

I'm open to a Judgement future with Kaito, Sugiura and Tsukumo if there are issues with going forward with Yagami, but I forgot about the IRL Genda actor 😔. If they've moved permanently to the office in Yokohama or decide to reuse Honolulu then it could work without the Genda office cast but I'm doubtful like you that it's even worth continuing just for the name sake.

I'm definitely open to another new IP in the universe though. I'm hopeful for some Gaidens involving my boys Akiyama or Saejima but even something entirely new we haven't seen before would be cool.

I was thinking about a possible Majima spinoff but it might be too hard and involve too much retcon. I think the only safe place to run a Majima spinoff would be between 0 and Kiryu returning from prison in 1.

So I'm about 30-40 hours into another run of K2 after finishing 0 and K1 again a couple months ago. I'm not trying to smash through the series as quick as I can this time (though I probably will replay them all by the end of the year) so I'm just playing at my own pace. This time I think I can actually put my finger on why K2 is my favourite.

Firstly there is definitely a bit of Dragon Engine bias. Yeah it's less dated but being able to move around with minimal loading screens is an obvious tick. Then it really is peak Kiryu and peak Yakuza. From 3 onwards it is either a different location or different characters with different things at stake. K2 is Kiryu at the height of his powers and standing within Tojo and set within the most iconic locations of the series - Kamurocho and Sotenbori. It has the hostess club management which is IMO the best minigame of the series (fight me), and Majima's construction clan (tower defence!) can be a relaxing grind. Only being able to fight with Dragon style doesn't bother me either because from an RP standpoint it makes sense for Kiryu to use his signature style when he is at his peak. It's also less moves for me to learn lol. And lastly, Ryuji is a really cool character and it's actually a shame you don't see more of him between the start and end of the game.

All K2 (and 6) needs is a 60fps patch.

Different strokes for different folks, but the combat in K2 is so bland to me. One of the stronger stories for sure, the overall package not my favourite.

So I've been pausing and scanning the scenes a lot. It looks like we have what I presume is the Coliseum, gambling halls, nightclubs, I saw what I think was Theatre Square but slightly reimagined (and Coin Lockers in the background!), the famous entrance to Kamurocho (but with a Poppo store on the corner), the suits walking down the bamboo forest path I assume is Tojo HQ, the intro leads me believe it will feature the Florist, but at 0:48 and 0:49 who are they meant to be? Nishiki and someone else maybe? He has grey hair so maybe it's meant to be Kazama maybe?

So who I thought was Nishiki is probably correct. The second might be a new character that they've added.

The President of RGG taking a smoke after an exciting twist is exactly the reaction I would expect the president of RGG to have. 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not game related but I've been watching a bit of this vlogger (I guess YouTube mashed up my habits in searching for Yakuza and Japan and his Osaka slum video showed heaps of Dotenbori/Sotenbori that we'd all recognise) and in this one he met up with a contact who is former Yakuza. They went to a bar which is run by another former Yakuza from the 80s who looks like he could be out of the video games. The reason I had to share is because I swear at just after 19:00 it breaks out into basically a Yakuza substory 😆

Not game related but I've been watching a bit of this vlogger (I guess YouTube mashed up my habits in searching for Yakuza and Japan and his Osaka slum video showed heaps of Dotenbori/Sotenbori that we'd all recognise) and in this one he met up with a contact who is former Yakuza. They went to a bar which is run by another former Yakuza from the 80s who looks like he could be out of the video games. The reason I had to share is because I swear at just after 19:00 it breaks out into basically a Yakuza substory 😆

Thanks for the warning. I nearly choked on my breakfast.

After well over a month, maybe closer to two, of RGG absolutely smashing K2 posts on X they've just moved onto posting Y3 stuff. K1 and K2 posting early on could have been excused as promo posting for the upcomming series, but now moving into Y3 a little over a month out from Tokyo Game Show feels too deliberate. While K3 might not be the next game (and they said the next game will be something we won't expect?), maybe it will be announced along side something else like how Ishin, Gaiden and IW were all announced together?

Have also seen some comments regarding Judgement from others that I didn't consider before. If Judgement 3 can't happen due to Takuya Kimura (and also to an extent Akira Nakao/Genda sensei) there is no reason there can't be a future Judgement spin off with Kaito, Higashi, Tsukumo and Sugiura. Kaito may have got his own DLC to try a Judgement future without Yagami and Joon introducing Tsukumo and Sugiura at Survive Bar in IW is surely suggesting they have a future in the universe somewhere. Genda could also be written to have passed away in the game and Hoshino has gone through enough character development to take over.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat Yakuza games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back